e270 temp gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pachanga 231

Car
E280 cdi sport 2007
Hi
Recently I'm seeing the gauge rise towards the halfway mark (80) sometimes a tad more.
I always thought that the temperature gauge stays very low on the diesel mercs.
Could it be temp sensor, I haven't checked to see if the fans are kicking in.

I would change the thermostat as mentioned before.

My old W211 CDI was running at about 80 until I changed the thermostat, it was running about 90 afterwards.

Get one from Mercedes it comes with a new temp sensor in the housing @ £50.00

Guys 90 on mine is just over halfway , so your saying that's what it should be at ?
So mine is ok then ?

If it's reaching 90º or even a little above fairly quickly then it's ok.

Your comment "Recently I'm seeing the gauge rise towards the halfway mark (80) sometimes a tad more", implies that it doesn't usually reach the 80º mark. If it struggles to reach 80º then it would benefit from a new stat. Engines that operate at their designed running temperature are more efficient.

sorry guys ill clarify:

when first bought the car i never noticed the gauge go up so high, it was always quite low and a friend of mine said that the gauge on these cars does stay low. Recently I've seen it go up to 90 (80 is halfway on mine) and I'm thinking is there something wrong, hence i started a thread. I will check the cooling fan next time its high to see if its kicking in, but what I'm taking from the replies is that 90 or thereabouts is good.

90' is the optimum engine temp and it should be reached in the urban cycle within 10 mins @ 20' ambient temp.

It can drop to 80' or lower if cruising on the motorway at 70mph or 2000rpm

Inefficient thermostats will keep the engine temp lower for longer increasing fuel consumption especially on diesels.

For what it's worth the running temperature on my W204 has been 90 Celsius since day one. That was over three years and 59k miles ago.

All good wishes, lim

Thanks guys.
Whats best way to diagnose a faulty thermostat or temp sensor, a scan ?

Just see how long it takes to reach 90º - ish.

It sounds as though yours is ok though. Mine runs at a little under 90º and has done since I fitted a new stat. Prior to that it was only reaching 60º.

As a side note, I've never seen or heard my cooling fan running, but if we get a decent summer this year you never know. (Using the air-con in summer may increase the running temperature and activate the cooling fan).

Thanks guys.
Whats best way to diagnose a faulty thermostat or temp sensor, a scan ?

90' is the optimum engine temp and it should be reached in the urban cycle within 10 mins @ 20' ambient temp.

It can drop to 80' or lower if cruising on the motorway at 70mph or 2000rpm

Inefficient thermostats will keep the engine temp lower for longer increasing fuel consumption especially on diesels.

:)

Many thanks everyone I will keep an eye out now I know what it should be reaching

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom