E320 cdi sport dpf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisgt11

Car
E320 cdi sport
Hi all, I've put a deposit down on a 2009 e320 cdi sport and was wondering if it has a dpf?
I've put my finger in the exhausts which are sooty so hopefully it hasn't, I've done loads of research on the w211 and people say it's an option but I've never actually heard of anybody having one.
So has anybody seen one on a 2009 year model? I know the next shape had them fitted for eu5.
I've also took the engine cover off and can see the turbo and down pipe with what looks like the start of the cat or a box but no pipes off it.
Does anybody have any info on dpf's on this shape?

I had a 2009 E320 and it didn't have a dpf fitted. MB confirmed it was an option. Check with your local dealership if you have access to the VIN.

Managed to get the chassis/vin number and found a link on here to one of the data card sites.
Good news no sign of option 474 diesel particulate filter on my vehicle so looks like no dpf for me:thumb:
Any body with good knowledge of the options or data card sites care to confirm that's the right option for dpf?

I have a 2009 W320 CDI (W211) just looked at the data card. No reference to option '474' but it does have

"926 Exhaust Gas Cleaning with Euro 4 technology"

HOWEVER I've no detailed knowledge of all the codes and have to take your word for it that 474 indicated a DPF.

FWIW - Had mine for 18 months/20,000 miles and love it. Great feeling of luxury and goes well when occasion arises, doubt you'll be disappointed.

Seek out a local Indie for service and repairs, somebody with a Star machine and access to the on-line service logging system.

Post pics when you get it.

I learnt a few months back from one of my indy MB trained mechanics that they all have DPF BUT they are called it differently.

On motors that supposedly don`t have named DPF`s it is called 929 Exhaust Gas Cleaning with Euro 4 Technology.

It is housed in the same box as the CAT and it has an O2 sensor for the CAT and a Temp. Sensor for the Exhaust Cleaning thingy so i expect it can do a regen ?

My motor never gets the chance for a regen as i always red line it at least once per journey as to try and keep it cleaner only use Shell Nitro.

On my journey in France around 2000mls on French diesel and going slow in French traffic the motor didn`t really like it so was in 5 or 6th gear on returning home first thing was a blast up the Mway and true enough a regen started and i was surprised at the filth out the back......first time i have seen it in almost 3yrs.

Some of my VIN details:
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
775U BRIGHT SILVER METALLIC CLEAR COAT PAINT
806 YEAR OF MODIFICATION
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
926 EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY :doh::doh::doh:
954 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE FOR AVANTGARDE VEHICLES
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A24 JOINT FLANGE, 4-ARM 120
A29 J - VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY VGS 1 (550 NM)
J52 ADDITIONAL CODE FOR DAMPING MAT
M30 DISPLACEMENT 3.0 LITER
M642 V6 DIESEL ENGINE OM642
NA4 CONTROL CODE BREMEN PLANT
P85 SPORT EDITION WITH AMG
R64 LA 6-SPOKE DESIGN 17" STERLINGSILVER MIXED TYRES
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)

Attachments

• 20151209_094601.jpg
    20151209_094601.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20151209_094523.jpg
    20151209_094523.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 34
I would of thought that exhaust gas cleaning was basically the EGR and I've never heard of car manufacturers housing the DPF in the cat.
I'm not saying it isn't true just something new to me and if they all have a DPF then why hasn't there been more info on them. People must have had to replace there cats and the price must be quite high considering both components are housed inside?

I have a 2009 E320 (W211).

On my last car (Saab 95 1.9TiD) I was often aware when it was regenerating, in part because it frequently happened at a particular place on my home commute.

As previous post I cant be 100% sure if my E320 has a DPF or not but what I can say is that I've never been aware or suspected that it was running a regen cycle and have never seen any dash warnings or such. as noted previously, had the car 18 months/20,000 miles.

The E320's are great cars, absolutely love mine, for me the perfect blend of performance and economy. Suggest if not already done you find a local Indie, ask on here for recommendations, stick to the service schedule. You will need an Indie with MB knowledge and a Star machine and the car will throw the odd repair bill but there's no reason to be unduly worried they aren't generally regarded as unreliable.

You'll be driving a car that cost the original buyer close to £40k but as a fraction of the cost, keep for a few years and the TCO shouldn't be too bad at all.

Enjoy and do post pics when you get the car.

I have a 2009 E320 (W211).

On my last car (Saab 95 1.9TiD) I was often aware when it was regenerating, in part because it frequently happened at a particular place on my home commute.

As previous post I cant be 100% sure if my E320 has a DPF or not but what I can say is that I've never been aware or suspected that it was running a regen cycle and have never seen any dash warnings or such. as noted previously, had the car 18 months/20,000 miles.

The E320's are great cars, absolutely love mine, for me the perfect blend of performance and economy. Suggest if not already done you find a local Indie, ask on here for recommendations, stick to the service schedule. You will need an Indie with MB knowledge and a Star machine and the car will throw the odd repair bill but there's no reason to be unduly worried they aren't generally regarded as unreliable.

You'll be driving a car that cost the original buyer close to £40k but as a fraction of the cost, keep for a few years and the TCO shouldn't be too bad at all.

Enjoy and do post pics when you get the car.

You don't have any problem because maybe you drive less in city and more in motorway.In that way the exhaust stay cleaned .

I learnt a few months back from one of my indy MB trained mechanics that they all have DPF BUT they are called it differently.

On motors that supposedly don`t have named DPF`s it is called 929 Exhaust Gas Cleaning with Euro 4 Technology.

It is housed in the same box as the CAT and it has an O2 sensor for the CAT and a Temp. Sensor for the Exhaust Cleaning thingy so i expect it can do a regen ?

My motor never gets the chance for a regen as i always red line it at least once per journey as to try and keep it cleaner only use Shell Nitro.

On my journey in France around 2000mls on French diesel and going slow in French traffic the motor didn`t really like it so was in 5 or 6th gear on returning home first thing was a blast up the Mway and true enough a regen started and i was surprised at the filth out the back......first time i have seen it in almost 3yrs.

Some of my VIN details:
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
775U BRIGHT SILVER METALLIC CLEAR COAT PAINT
806 YEAR OF MODIFICATION
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
926 EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY :doh::doh::doh:
954 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE FOR AVANTGARDE VEHICLES
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A24 JOINT FLANGE, 4-ARM 120
A29 J - VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY VGS 1 (550 NM)
J52 ADDITIONAL CODE FOR DAMPING MAT
M30 DISPLACEMENT 3.0 LITER
M642 V6 DIESEL ENGINE OM642
NA4 CONTROL CODE BREMEN PLANT
P85 SPORT EDITION WITH AMG
R64 LA 6-SPOKE DESIGN 17" STERLINGSILVER MIXED TYRES
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)

Unless it has option 474 in the card there will be no DPF. It was an option under Euro 4 regs and compulsory in Euro 5. I used to use my CLS320 as a city runaround, I know don't ask, and it never had a single issue with anything being clogged. Biggest goveaway is soot on the tailpipes. Clean pipes, DPF installed, sooty pipes, no DPF.

You don't have any problem because maybe you drive less in city and more in motorway.In that way the exhaust stay cleaned .

Driving is exactly the same, same daily commute to/from work same sort of other mixed driving trips.

Driving is exactly the same, same daily commute to/from work same sort of other mixed driving trips.

It's not the driving style. Everything Euro 4 excluding the S class does not have a DPF. It was an option on some. W211 is Euro 4 with DPF as an option. No option 474, no DPF. The W212 chassis is Euro 5 from launch. DPF as standard.

That's exactly what I thought it's only euro 5 that was compulsory to have one but with euro 4 they could hit the target without one.
Well I picked the car up and I'm 100% it hasn't got one so all good there.
Cheers for all the help with this thread and I'll post pics as soon as I can.

That's exactly what I thought it's only euro 5 that was compulsory to have one but with euro 4 they could hit the target without one.
Well I picked the car up and I'm 100% it hasn't got one so all good there.
Cheers for all the help with this thread and I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Enjoy the car. Unfortunately all the choices were too old for me, so i had to go for a DPF equipped car. A bit if an **** woth the regen every 200-250 miles but a fun car non the less. This is due to my mainly town driving.

Enjoy the car. Unfortunately all the choices were too old for me, so i had to go for a DPF equipped car. A bit if an **** woth the regen every 200-250 miles but a fun car non the less. This is due to my mainly town driving.

Always had a soft spot for the w211 especially after my first one so I'll definitely enjoy it:thumb:
Had a c250 cdi amg spec but as I only do town driving I sold it before the dpf could give me problems but also found it a worse drive then the e class especially being a manual with a snappy clutch imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom