E320TE - Deposit paid - thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SHAKTER

Car
W124 320TE, W124 300CE, W124 E36 AMG, W210 E240 V6, G Wagon
Hello all - i put down a deposit on this lovely machine today. A growing baby finally made sell my beloved SWB G Wagon (just didn't work out with a baby seat!) and I was hankering after a nice 124 estate having owned a few coupes before. I mulled over a few euro-boxes such as Golf GTi, Mini Clubman, Fiat Panda but couldn't bring myself to buy one. It had to be a 124 again! Here's the link:

Mercedes Benz E320 TE Estate W124 1993 7 seats full leather E280 E class | eBay

It needs a bit of attention on the wings (been there, don't that) and has a few dings on the bodywork (i'm not really fussed about those) but overall in lovely condition. The windscreen has the usual milkiness but the screen itself is chipped - blessing in disguise! :D

The current owner had some gearbox work done but he doesn't recall what the 'common issue' was that was rectified at the same time. I'm not sure either TBH. But it pulled very smoothly on the test drive. Looks like the car has lived a sheltered life.

What are your thoughts? The only strange thing was that there is a 'pumping of air' noise in the engine bay when the car is started, which shuts off after about 30secs. The owner tells me it is a standard 'air pump' that was fitted for emissions purposes when these cars were made?? I've never heard this before. Can anyone shed some light? :dk::dk::dk:

Thanks to Dash for all the advice so far mate :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Lol i was watching that as there was summit i really liked about it. Awesome looks lovely, other than what you mentioned i noticed the Osr light lens was damaged on the inside edge, easily sorted. ;)

Looks lovely that.. great condition and a classic shape. Thumbs up from me.

Thanks for the comments gents! Yes I noticed the headlight but it didn't bother me....yet!

Not too bad.
Front wing bubbles do suggest it's had quite recent paint to me.
A 'ditch finder' appears to be present.

I'm sure Nick will be around soon...

The only strange thing was that there is a 'pumping of air' noise in the engine bay when the car is started, which shuts off after about 30secs. The owner tells me it is a standard 'air pump' that was fitted for emissions purposes when these cars were made?? I've never heard this before. Can anyone shed some light? :dk::dk::dk:

Early m104's had this pump fitted to feed air into the exhaust ports, the idea being to warm up the cat's quickly.

A poor idea which is easily removed, and not present on the later engines.

Looks really good. The common problem with the 5 speed box is a delay in reverse engaging, and eventually reverse failing to engage at all. or so I've read.

Remember the two critical things to check on that car.

1. How much oil leaks out
2. How much water leaks in

Lift up the front foot well carpets to check for damp and plan on resealing the cargo area windows.

A poor idea which is easily removed, and not present on the later engines.

I found that strange too but at least we know now,thnx to you :thumb:

I like it. Very much.

Thanks Milo777. There is a very slight oil leak at the moment that I'll be keeping a very close eye on. I'm already preparing myself for the inevitable head issue!

Wings and cargo area are first things on my list to get sorted.

The only strange thing was that there is a 'pumping of air' noise in the engine bay when the car is started, which shuts off after about 30secs. The owner tells me it is a standard 'air pump' that was fitted for emissions purposes when these cars were made??

He's telling porkies.

If you paid anything like his asking price you are paying close to top dollar for a private sale of that car & at that price I would expect any problems to be sorted out BEFORE it is sold.

Get it looked at before you pay him.

Lovely colour combination that really suits this car.

Would look great with a set of 17" period Aero 1's (ignore the chrome)

attachment.php

Red C220 said:
Lovely colour combination that really suits this car. Would look great with a set of 17" period Aero 1's (ignore the chrome)

Yea I'm mulling over what wheels to put on and whether to go for an AMG kit.

Hi Shakter,

I remember you got in touch with me about my one, but it went before we got very far. I think you've done pretty well there, looks a fair bit cheaper than I got for mine in the end assuming the price on screen on the ad now was his "buy it now" level.

Seems there haven't been any advisories on the last few years MOT so it looks like your vendor might have really looked after it, best of luck!

Cheers,

Dave

kingdave said:
Hi Shakter, I remember you got in touch with me about my one, but it went before we got very far. I think you've done pretty well there, looks a fair bit cheaper than I got for mine in the end assuming the price on screen on the ad now was his "buy it now" level. Seems there haven't been any advisories on the last few years MOT so it looks like your vendor might have really looked after it, best of luck! Cheers, Dave

Thank you sir. Was a shame I missed yours but hopefully this one serves me well for the coming years!

I thought it looked familiar - I sold it back in 2008

Nice spec - it's a sports chassis car and it has electric steering column adjustment

Nick Froome

bolide said:
I thought it looked familiar - I sold it back in 2008 Nice spec - it's a sports chassis car and it has electric steering column adjustment Nick Froome

Thanks Nick. That's funny because the owner did mention he bought it from Brighton. I mentioned you but he said he bought it from another dealer in Brighton, not you. I'm guessing you sold it to someone else and it eventually ended up with the current owner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom