E350 CDI. Oil Gunk after exceeding service schedule.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I wouldn't have expected this on such a new car.
I wonder what the total mileage is? Maybe the schedule has been exceeded throughout the life of the car?

[YOUTUBE]W4BqDv6W280[/YOUTUBE]

Not as bad as the Camry.

[YOUTUBE]91bWgLg5qdw&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

There are many more gunk examples on YouTube.

The first one is probably due to the car having a DPF, doing short journeys and running on high sulpher diesel and poor oil.

The second is due to low quality oil.

Both make a pretty strong case for engine flushing and/or bypass filters.

The first one is probably due to the car having a DPF, doing short journeys and running on high sulpher diesel and poor oil.

The second is due to low quality oil.

Both make a pretty strong case for engine flushing and/or bypass filters.

I like the idea of flushing and thought about it for my 430. The oil wasn't too bad but it wasn't what I would call clean but the car is too high mileage for that. I was reading about a static flush but haven't noticed that in the UK. LINK.

Last edited:
Just interim oil changes would stop that from happening and the odd long run.

Dave!

Just interim oil changes would stop that from happening and the odd long run.

Dave!

Yep my cars never go past 6000 miles without and oil change :thumb: or every year whichever comes first. That means 3 x year for the Volvo and 2 x year for SWMBO Volvo and at present 1 x year for CLK and 1 x year for JSWMBO Punto

Yep my cars never go past 6000 miles without and oil change :thumb: or every year whichever comes first. That means 3 x year for the Volvo and 2 x year for SWMBO Volvo and at present 1 x year for CLK and 1 x year for JSWMBO Punto

Every 4-6k for all of my cars. I stock up when I see oil at the right price.

Yep my cars never go past 6000 miles without and oil change :thumb: or every year whichever comes first. That means 3 x year for the Volvo

Just get a bypass filter fitted, it will work out cheaper in the long run.

Just get a bypass filter fitted, it will work out cheaper in the long run.

I actually did think about this as my Subaru legacy had bypass filtration as standard and when you looked at the quality of the oil at services it was far better than what I had experienced on cars with full flow filters only.

It's the cost that stops me fitting them as oil and filters are so cheap and its not time consuming to do an oil change. At less than £25 per change for the Volvo's and less than £20 for the MB and Punto the justification of fitting a bypass filter just isn't there for me. Although I do admit if I had a performance car I was keeping I would fit one.

Cricky, where are you buying oil for that price?

Still got my trade contacts Shell Helix semi syn 10/40 for MB and Punto works out at just over £3 per litre

Shell Helix 5/30 fully syn for Volvo's just over £4 per litre all oil filters are between £2 - £3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom