E350 Estate - winter tyres/pressure sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gentabout

Car
E350 Estate AMG Night Edition Premium +
Morning all.

I purchased a couple of months ago a used set of 17" wheels and winter tyres for my 2016 E212, they were from eBay but there was no mention of pressure sensors fitted and at the time I didn't think about it. I am off to Switzerland during late October and plan to do a few of the passes and have decided it might be wise to fit my winters before I leave.

So my questions are.
1, can I tell if there are pressure sensors fitted to the wheels without fitting them or removing the tyres?.
2, what tyre pressure sensors would I need to buy to have retrofitted?

Thanks
Dean

Unsure about 2016 model but my 2011 has no actual sensors. It relies on the ABS detecting a difference in the rolling speed of a deflated tyre to provide the warning. If this is the case you have to reprogram the 'brain' to know the settings for your new wheels. RTFI. ;)

Unsure about 2016 model but my 2011 has no actual sensors. It relies on the ABS detecting a difference in the rolling speed of a deflated tyre to provide the warning. If this is the case you have to reprogram the 'brain' to know the settings for your new wheels. RTFI. ;)

Ive checked everything I can on the car spec and I'm 99% certain the car has an individual sensor in each wheel currently fitted. The computer readout gives me individual pressure readings and so does the mobileMe system.

I was hoping there might be a visual clue as to having sensors fitted.

After a little more research I've concluded that the winter wheels have standard valves in them I think as it seems the Merc ones are metal and they have rubber ones in them, the ones on the car are the metal type. I spoke to Merc and they want £47.80 + vat each for the oem ones but I have managed to find a set of 4 new ones for £70 that claim to be genuine MB so fingers crossed (part no 0009050030, same no. as Merc Quoted). The local tyre place have quoted £15 per wheel to fit them and then rebalance the wheels.

Will update more once the jobs done and it all works

Well as promised I am back to update.

The valves I ordered arrived in the stated time but had different numbers on them to what I expected (according to Schrader's website they fit a Maserati) but after contacting the seller they assured me they would be compatible and were the same item but a packing error had occurred. I was a bit sceptical but decided that I would get them fitted and if there was a problem argue it our further with the seller. Im pleased to say they work perfectly and the car read them without having to change anything and I'm getting pressures reported correctly on the instrument cluster.
I had a 4 wheel alignment done at the same time as one of the rear wheels/tyre when removed was looking very very second hand on the inside edge :confused::fail: did someone say cords!. Seems when I scuffed that wheel in Monaco earlier this year I might have knocked the alignment out a bit too, whoops. New rear tyres needed in the spring.

Dean

W212 rear tyres wear horrendously on the inside edge (particularly AMG line models with wider rears), it's due to the camber set up by Mercedes and can't be adjusted out.

My local tyre dealer says he sees it on every E that comes in.

W212 rear tyres wear horrendously on the inside edge (particularly AMG line models with wider rears), it's due to the camber set up by Mercedes and can't be adjusted out.

My local tyre dealer says he sees it on every E that comes in.

Thanks thats useful to know for the future.

Going to keep a much closer eye on these from now on. I knew they were low as had been keeping an eye on the wear indicators as I wanted them to last until I put the winters on but these seem to have gone on the inside edge over the last 500 miles , the drivers side was not as bad. A 275/30/19 tyre filling the arch needs more that a quick check I've learned.
IMG_6004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom