E39 540i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
Well i've gone and done it. I went and got my self a fully loaded e39 540, and i cant say i'm regretting it, its a sweet engine and a very good looking car imo :). The torque feel isn't all that impressive coming from my c230k but it does deceive, the numbers that come up when your foot is down is quite scary!

Hope i'm still welcome to come to the MBclub meet in 2010 though! :ban:

540_7.jpg

540_6.jpg

540_1.jpg

Surprises me .... i would have thought the 540 had bags more torque than your 230 ...

Looks nice .

At the moment i want to give it the updated Hella angel-eyes headlights and take off the silencer... :devil:

Nice car Adam.....so how's the ride in comparison to the C230K ?

I was also toying with the idea of going in the BM direction.

Nice car Adam.....so how's the ride in comparison to the C230K ?

I was also toying with the idea of going in the BM direction.

Thanks mate.

Well it is a 5-Series so its a little unfair to compare it to the 230K, but it is more spacious (first car i've ever owned where i can put my knees under the steering wheel), and the ride is nothing short of exceptional.

Its riding on 17's with alot more profile than i had on the brabus alloys, and they seem to suit the car perfectly. You do feel the occasion in this car, it is a very very nice place to be, and that v8 rumble is just intoxicating... :devil: (and very quiet i might add).

I've watched friends of mine own similar E39's for 3+ years and i've always had a soft-spot for them so i thought i'd give it a go...

Howard: It does have more torque, definately, but there's something about forced induction cars i cant quite explain.. you must've had a turbo charged car once before... i think you know what i mean.

Could any of the catalytic converters be removed and it still pass the MoT?

Aparently yes, the 2 middle cats can be removed and it will still pass the MOT... not sure if i'm going to do mods of that type on this car though.

Want to talk it through with a competant mechanic and see if its feasible to take them off and then use them again on the front (just after the manifold), when the other's go... But i probably wouldn't touch them anyway as it wont do much.

I drove an E39 M5 the other day and was seriously impressed. Typically thorough German engineering plus a good ride - quite convincing!

The fact that it went like the wind was nice, too!

Nick Froome

Very nice, enjoy the confort of the seats, the lovly ride quality and the lack of rust.

Interesting company car though?

I took the allowance and deferred the car for a year... think its bloody worth it though :D

I took the allowance and deferred the car for a year... think its bloody worth it though :D

Sure is, I had a 528i SE for a couple of months recently, it was sooo smooth and fantastic to drive. If you don't do too many private miles and get paid to drive work miles than every journey is a pleasure knowing you're not paying for the petrol!

I give it two weeks before you start investingating LPG... ;)

I can't believe you have done it. Hang your head in shame....

BTW if you need any work done to it......

(did you have a strange questions about you 230k on ebay?)

Lovely car Adam. :D

I still have a soft spot for the older shape BM's ( i had an e46 3.0 sport)I love the way the dash faces you.....i think the new 5 series is one of the best looking cars from outside, but i find the inside the newer cars very boring and un-inspiring....nothing at all wrong with that if you like it........i need lots of buttons and switches...and lots of dash board lights at night time....:D

Enjoy that sound track mate!!!!!!

Very nice, enjoy the confort of the seats, the lovly ride quality and the lack of rust.

Interesting company car though?

My E39 M5 had rust and many other warranty claims. Our E39 Touring had rust too. Amazing cars though. I had a 540T 4.4 and that was a lovely relaxing car but went like a bullet when you wanted it.

^^^^^^ i bet i get some stick if i change my car next year and buy the 535d M sport..........

Sure is, I had a 528i SE for a couple of months recently, it was sooo smooth and fantastic to drive. If you don't do too many private miles and get paid to drive work miles than every journey is a pleasure knowing you're not paying for the petrol!

I give it two weeks before you start investingating LPG... ;)

It does drink a fair bit around town, it was averaging 17-20 mpg around town in birmingham today but when i travelled home in it it returned 33.4mpg on the highway cruising at 90!

Cruising at 90 and its revving at only 2300!! very impressed :D

I can't believe you have done it. Hang your head in shame....

BTW if you need any work done to it......

(did you have a strange questions about you 230k on ebay?)

Yeah i'll come to you for a service when its due and see if you know your way round it like you do your mercs. :devil:

Yeah i had a strange question from someone in Hampshire... i had no idea who it was! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom