E430 interior lamp under dash on passenger side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe Auto (1.8 lit petrol)
While changing the lower set of pollen filters on the E430 (W210 year 2002), I've discovered a little lamp set into the cover that needs removing to get at the filters.
It looks like a little LED lamp ... No apparent bulb ... Wires from it disappear up into the dash area.
Part No is A220 820 11 01 ... Part is listed on Inchcape site as "Interior Lamp".
I can't seem to find a way to make this lamp switch on.
Possibly, it is kaput.
When is it supposed to switch on ?

I believe they were fitted as part of the ambient lighting package, you should have one in the drivers footwell as well, and in the passenger rear footwells and should come on with the doors being open, and IIRC correctly are fed from the front DCM's.
The ambient light pack could also consist of door handle illumination for all four doors, and a light in the bottom of the rear view mirror.
If you are unsure whether the light works, remove it and wire it direct to a battery.

AS above, it's part of the ambient light system.

You will have lights in each door opener, under the back of each front seat, in the base of the rear view mirror and in the driver footwell too.

The one in the RVM is on when the ignition is on.
The footwell lights come on when the lights are on and the door handle ones are on all the time when the car is unlocked...I just went outside and checked.

Last edited:
Cheers Guys.
I learn something every day on this forum.
I'll check these features out.
I must say that I've never noticed a light in the base of the RVM or on the external door handles.
Possibly none of these features are working.
Many Thanks.

On my 2003 E the ambient lighting only works when it is dark. If you have a sensor in the windscreen near the RVM cover it with a piece of cloth to fool the car into thinking it is dark and then try your ambient lighting.
As I say that is for my car and yours might be different.

I've never really noticed it working before on our 2002 E430.
It only seems to work when it is dark and you put the lights on.
It adjusts with the up and down buttons on the LHS of the dash panel.
To be honest ... It's not that impressive.
More-so in the rear seat wells than in the front or on the door panels.
There is no mention of it in the driver's hand-book.
The light I originally mentioned in the opening post is barely noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom