E55K exhaust mods; what is the answer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jke11y

Car
SL320 / G500 / 230SL pagoda
Hello,

I really think that my E55K is far too quiet. I have had a read around the forum and found a few posts but no definitive answer.

I would prefer a bit of a V8 rumble / growl but it needs to still be quiet at 75+mph on cruise for family duties.

My bro had an SLK55 n/a and it sounded fantastic after a simple X pipe mod but from reading it seems the kompressor engines are trickier to get some nice noise from?

Help appreciated!

Speak with Torqueflow @ MSL Birmingham about options.
They will do a great job for you.

There are quite a few threads now on making the V8K engine sound better. As well as looking at those, I'd add to the suggestion above and visit Imran and get him to remove secondary cats, resonator and put in a x-pipe. It is unobtrusive at normal revs but is pretty vocal on acceleration without any drone.
Th better way ideally is to replace the rear boxes with C63/CLS55 ones as they are far less "silenced". The E55 is very quiet compared to the rest of the 55k engines.

c63 rear boxes that's it

C63 rear boxes and remove the resonators

Since my first post, I found another coupe of threads. I guess I need to keep an eye out for a set of C63 boxes for sale.

I used EMP in St Albans a while back for new cats on my SL, I would get them to do the work just want to know what best to ask for.

Remove resonators and primary cats.
Add kleemann manifolds and straight pipes...

Then a eurocharged re map

Ummmm hmmmm

Since my first post, I found another coupe of threads. I guess I need to keep an eye out for a set of C63 boxes for sale.

Alps, who posted above, may still have a set of C63 mufflers for sale.
Worth a PM just in case.

I did headers, decat, X pipe but kept the original back boxes.

I get slightly louder grumble at idle, a fantastic sound on accelerating and full tilt but no droaning unless the car is under load on a hill at 75mph - and even then I like it as it is a meaty drone and makes one push the loud pedal harder.

I found anything that had had the back boxes touched sounded too raucous for me...

I have headers with primary cats gone, & straight pipes replacing resonator. Keeping my secondary cats. Mine isn't that loud, but i want more volume & growl. So next stwp for me is either gutting my back boxes, or getting c63 boxes. Get to a meet and hear as many E55 with different exhaust mods, that will make your mind up. It worked for me.

I have a complete exhaust with Kleemann headers, sport cats, X-pipe, CKS resonator and back boxes for sale off the E55K. Made by EMP. Covered only about 10K miles. Nice meaty sound, not deafening or loud. Can split but would prefer to sell as a whole.

EDIT: Have a couple of garages around the corner so fitting on the day is no problem either.

Last edited:
Fitting where how much for headers please

The exhaust is in Milton Keynes MK10. I'll pm you the price.

I am also very interested in the headers if still for sale! Possibly also the Complete set up.... Could you let me know prices please? Text 07979 245594 thanks, Simon

The complete exhaust is now sold. Thanks for the interest guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom