E55k modding plans for 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickjonesn4

Car
E55K AMG Wagon, Porsche 993 C2S, Polestar 2
So... have had the following mods done in the last 18 months...

E/C Heat Exchanger
E/C Headers and Primary Cat Delete
E/C Remap
E/C 82mm Supercharger Pullley
New Bosch I/C Pump
Quaife LSD

Car now sat at 554 BHP and 653 lb/ft torque

Over the winter I'm getting 6 panels resprayed and the wheels re-furbed (maybe changed to anthracite from silver) and 4 new tyres (probably Contis)

Question is what to do to the car for next year as will be getting it out for some of the Vmax and possibly 1/4 mile having really enjoyed a couple of track days this year. Thoughts please!

Split cooling mods...

Small res up front, or front/rear tanks in that order cost wise, small res will gain you 10 degrees lower IAT however the tanks give you longer lower temps at WOT.

Killer chiller in a combination with above gives you lower and longer IAT, keep it cold feel the power.

Last edited:
Split cooling mods...

Small res up front, or front/rear tanks in that order cost wise, small res will gain you 10 degrees lower IAT however the tanks give you longer lower temps at WOT.

Killer chiller in a combination with above gives you lower and longer IAT, keep it cold feel the power.

Is it possible to put the rear rank where the spare wheel would be? Not keen on front tank as it means losing the air filter.

Is it possible to put the rear rank where the spare wheel would be? Not keen on front tank as it means losing the air filter.

Fitting the tank in the spare wheel space has been done numerous times by people here, however the trade off.. is do you want to carry a spare wheel, my own spare is now sited above on the boot divider, so very limited to boot space, unless you wish to risk driving without one, which I personally don't. So I put up with the limit space the little I use the car, but it's not ideal.

I would question why you would want to push for more mods, you have already a respectable amount fitted, that's 'unless your going out to play that is. On track days you have enough cooling to more than deal with demands on such events now, these cars never run full on, on track, more the brakes get a hammering, however if contemplating Vmax or TV, spend as much as you like, but it will never be enough, you will have fun trying, but unless getting into the realms of a total commitment that couple of guys here are, the M113K, should be considered superseded by the current bi turbo models and their potential to upgrade monumentally.

All this said, the M113K is a great engine, silly fast for little monies even in standard form.

tend to agree with Ricky, on a track the first thing that fails is the brakes due to the sheer weight of the car. mine were steaming the last two times to the point one of the pads fell off its backing!

split cooling is something worth doing, and bigger injectors. other than that.. enjoy it!

tend to agree with Ricky, on a track the first thing that fails is the brakes due to the sheer weight of the car. mine were steaming the last two times to the point one of the pads fell off its backing!

split cooling is something worth doing, and bigger injectors. other than that.. enjoy it!

yep - I'm enjoying it very much it's just good fun mucking about with it too right?

agreed on the brakes but nothing to be done really I don't think without spending silly money

Last edited:
I don't think there would be anything wrong with the stock calipers and discs on the E55 there huge. Maybe some aftermarket pads designed to take higher temps would help.......and some better brake fluid.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with the stock calipers and discs on the E55 there huge. Maybe some aftermarket pads designed to take higher temps would help.......and some better brake fluid.

Nothing wrong with the stock brakes at all for road use. they are massive and no fade at all that I have found. they do get hot on a track day tho (which is obviously not what a massive estate car was designed for :))

I'm guessing with the BHP your engine is putting out, you have the 84mm pulley and remap?
Any thoughts after the extra cooling of going for 600BHP using the 77mm pulley and mapping accordingly?
Apart from spending a shedload on a Weistec conversion, not much further you can go with a M113K lump after the above.

I'm guessing with the BHP your engine is putting out, you have the 84mm pulley and remap?
Any thoughts after the extra cooling of going for 600BHP using the 77mm pulley and mapping accordingly?
Apart from spending a shedload on a Weistec conversion, not much further you can go with a M113K lump after the above.

UPD pulley right? Forgot about that option

On the road your probably right, but take a huge W211 55 on track, I will tell you standard OEM brake set up, they are not good enough, Alps, Lopes 80 and myself all fried our brakes at our AMG track day at Goodwood, and given I have also seen many other AMGs, (SLKS 55, SL55, C63s CLS 55/63s) with their brakes really smoking after a decent session on track at Goodwood, the w211 55 is a very big car with speed to have to stop, and aftermarket pads will have minimal effect here.
My own car runs with a 12 piston Brabus brake caliper set up and Carbotec race pads, messy as hell, stops real quick, far better than my original OEM set, but could still do with more stopping power, look forward to next Saturday at Goodwood with the few going here.:thumb:
This said my most favourable recall of smoking brakes was of one of our members GTR (my favourite car), on one of our days, pads were literally on fire!:D he had to go for a slow drive out on the road to cool them down,LOL

Yep. A clutched one too:bannana:

Acid has a deal on at the MSL Dyno day next sunday too Nick.

You know you want to:D

I would love to but sadly I will be slumming it in Mauritius next week. Will give him a shout and see if I can pay and then get it fitted/map done on another occasion. Would love to see 600BHP.

Would likw to know if there is a front mounted split cooling option that doesn't involve losing the dust filter...

Last edited:
On the road your probably right, but take a huge W211 55 on track, I will tell you standard OEM brake set up, they are not good enough, Alps, Lopes 80 and myself all fried our brakes at our AMG track day at Goodwood, and given I have also seen many other AMGs, (SLKS 55, SL55, C63s CLS 55/63s) with their brakes really smoking after a decent session on track at Goodwood, the w211 55 is a very big car with speed to have to stop, and aftermarket pads will have minimal effect here.
My own car runs with a 12 piston Brabus brake caliper set up and Carbotec race pads, messy as hell, stops real quick, far better than my original OEM set, but could still do with more stopping power, look forward to next Saturday at Goodwood with the few going here.:thumb:
This said my most favourable recall of smoking brakes was of one of our members GTR (my favourite car), on one of our days, pads were literally on fire!:D he had to go for a slow drive out on the road to cool them down,LOL

Well the E55 is almost 1900KG car heh.

I nailed my C55 at oulton park with the CLK63 brakes on and it was fantastic. Took it easy. Going again in a few weeks. Don't expect the brakes to be a factor, as they shouldn't be with my setup lol.

100% look at your alloys weights and your brakes, the only bollock I dropped with my E55K with Brabus brakes the same as Ricky's was I put 19" split rims on when what I should have done is fitted a set of lightweight forged alloys.

Headline BHP figures are great and all but there's a limit to how much you can push out without having to maximise other areas and I definitely think the wheels/brakes area is too often overlooked in favour of intense cooling mods and the like that you'll barely use as opposed to feeling the benefits day in day out of lightening each corner.

100% look at your alloys weights and your brakes, the only bollock I dropped with my E55K with Brabus brakes the same as Ricky's was I put 19" split rims on when what I should have done is fitted a set of lightweight forged alloys.

Areally there any really light AMG alloys. I did look at some aftermarket ones a while ago but didn't think I would like the look.

Well the E55 is almost 1900KG car heh.

I nailed my C55 at oulton park with the CLK63 brakes on and it was fantastic. Took it easy. Going again in a few weeks. Don't expect the brakes to be a factor, as they shouldn't be with my setup lol.
C55 E55 Oulton Goodwood, not a comparable conversation here, very different circumstances.

Headline BHP figures are great and all but there's a limit to how much you can push out without having to maximise other areas and I definitely think the wheels/brakes area is too often overlooked in favour of intense cooling mods and the like that you'll barely use as opposed to feeling the benefits day in day out of lightening each corner.

Where your 19s Lee, the ones Marc was working on...?

Areally there any really light AMG alloys. I did look at some aftermarket ones a while ago but didn't think I would like the look.

I believe that the black series models usually had forged wheels, If you hunt down on Ebay, they can be found. I run with two sets of 19" BBS RS GT wheels on track and on the road in the summer and resort back to my OEM AMGs in the winter albeit my car is rarely out on the road these days.

Keep an eye on Ebay for these forged wheels.

Where your 19s Lee, the ones Marc was working on...?

No, he had the 20" (!!) Brabus alloys but they were ridiculously hard so went to 19" AMG splits:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom