E63 brakes again - AP racing 400mm front kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexM

Car
W212 E63 AMG Saloon
Hi,

Been thinking about my inevitable upcomming brake refresh on my '13 E63. I saw that a company has made up a kit for AP Racing 400mm 'fishhook' disks, caliper brackets, aluminium hats for the AP disks, Pads for £1100. I've got to say that it looks quite interesting - I've wondered why noone has made up a mounting bell for AP disks - upfront cost will be higher than OE, but subsequent disks will be cheaper and you get the benefits of lower wear and better performance of 400mm AP disks. This setup will fit the standard 19" wheels.

Sounds quite attractive, especially if you're inclined to do the odd trackday.

Mercedes E63 C63 AMG Big Brake Conversion AP | eBay

Cheers,
Alex

I'm just about to order a set this evening from them

Pads will be useless he's including with them though and he doesn't seem to want to budge on price without them so been speaking to another company aswell

Last edited:
Interesting.. are the pads differently shaped? the photo seems to suggest they fit a strange range of vehicles? (CL600, R230 SL, RS6). Any reason why you wouldn't use the normal pads? you won't be covering all of the disk surface but you would still get the benefit of the additional torque from acting on the outer part of the disk.

There is very little info about the kit - happy with the choiice of AP 400x36 j hook disks, what about the treatment of the bell - doesn't appear to be heat treated or anodised? - i don't know whether that is important. Keep us posted, especially if you manage to source another supplier for the bell and caliper spacers.

you could be going down a rabbit hole with brake upgrade. I've upgraded a lot of brakes over the years and E63 stop amazingly well for amount of comfort you decelerate in. Yes, you can stop faster but with that brakes will become much noisier, especially those with floating rotor. They rattlejust rotating. Standard e63 brakes are £900 from eBay.

Ignore me completely if this is a track focuses E63.

Last edited:
you could be going down a rabbit hole with brake upgrade. I've upgraded a lot of brakes over the years and E63 stop amazingly well for amount of comfort you decelerate in. Yes, you can stop faster but with that brakes will become much noisier, especially those with floating rotor. They rattlejust rotating. Standard e63 brakes are £900 from eBay.

Ignore me completely if this is a track focuses E63.

Yes, I know that some floating disks can be prone to rattling. This kit is using 'float in bell' bobbins, wheras the oem assembly appears to be either bolted or some form of floating bobbin with an anti-rattle spring. I'm not sure which design is more prone to rattles, but the installation note below suggests that the bells will need replacing more freqently with 'float in bell' type due to wear between the bobbins and the aluminium hat. I know that traditional floating disc fixings can wear and rattle, requiring replacement of the bells and they also need to be cleaned out / maintained more regularly.

Cheers,
Alex

http://www.apracing.com/drawings/cp2494_2020cd.pdf

Last edited:
APEC pads are junk.. I will be putting pagids in them expensive at £500 put where amazing in my GTR

The chap selling is claiming full disc area will be used

I'm thinking about anodising the bells.. I would imagine they will look tacky left raw after awhile but oem discs look awful after a few months aswell

I've had 2 piece discs on every car I've owned never made a rattle other then in reverse when dabbing brakes

AlexM said:
Yes, I know that some floating disks can be prone to rattling. This kit is using 'float in bell' bobbins, wheras the oem assembly appears to be either bolted or some form of floating bobbin with an anti-rattle spring. I'm not sure which design is more prone to rattles, but the installation note below suggests that the bells will need replacing more freqently with 'float in bell' type due to wear between the bobbins and the aluminium hat. I know that traditional floating disc fixings can wear and rattle, requiring replacement of the bells and they also need to be cleaned out / maintained more regularly. Cheers, Alex http://www.apracing.com/drawings/cp2494_2020cd.pdf

Do you track your car regular?
Is that why you are upgrading?
The e63 is a very heavy car for regular track work and eats the oem brakes for breakfast with regular track usage.

The e63 is a very heavy car for regular track work and eats the oem brakes for breakfast with regular track usage.

and the standard ones do fade if on a track :eek:

No, not planned - too heavy on consumables to be a viable track car. I'm just suprised at the wear rate - disks were about 70% worn by 19k. I guess the first owner had some fun in the car :).

I think 360mm rotors are a bit on the small side for a 1900kg+ car with the level of performance it has. no real issue with the braking power, but wear is high and i'm not a fan of drilled disks...too prone to cracking if you use them hard. If I wanted to map the car and delimit it, i think the brakes could bear an uprade at the front - unfortunately carbon ceramic brakes are £8k+ so looking at other options and have good experiences with AP stuff in the past.

Cheers,
Alex

APEC pads are junk.. I will be putting pagids in them expensive at £500 put where amazing in my GTR

The chap selling is claiming full disc area will be used

I'm thinking about anodising the bells.. I would imagine they will look tacky left raw after awhile but oem discs look awful after a few months aswell

I've had 2 piece discs on every car I've owned never made a rattle other then in reverse when dabbing brakes

Can't see how it will use the whole disk with the standard caliper and a bracket. You will get more torque but probably more pad fade. I'd have the bells hard anodised for cosmetic reasons, if nothing else. Let us know how you get on..

Alex

Slightly old thread but thought I'd ask and find out whether anyone bought either of these kits and if so, how they find them?

The car I'm currently looking at will need new discs pretty soon and I'm keen to upgrade so any info would be appreciated.

I've fired an email off to BG Developments to see if they can help.

I've gone cold on the idea - I'm not planning to track the car and the existing brakes are good enough for my driving needs. When the time comes, I think I will replace the disks and look at pad options - perhaps some pagid or performance friction pads?

I think Fatesynchro said there was a D2500 E63 fitment.

Regards,
Alex

I've gone cold on the idea - I'm not planning to track the car and the existing brakes are good enough for my driving needs. When the time comes, I think I will replace the disks and look at pad options - perhaps some pagid or performance friction pads?

I think Fatesynchro said there was a D2500 E63 fitment.

Regards,
Alex

Yes im running DS2500's and these callipers are the same Brembo callipers that are used on the RS6 C6.
so pad fitmint is fine.

The calliper will use the "whole disc" on a 400mm disc, the stock RS6 discs are 380mm and use the full area.
Here - Link for pads http://www.jdl-brakes.com/mercedes/mercedes-e63-amg-w212/brake-pads.html

I expect that there may be other pad options for the RS6 - thanks, I'll look for them too. Is there a specific model/option that I should use to ensure that the caliper is the same as used on the MY13/MY14 E63 with 360mm disks?

Just installed ds2500 the weekend not bed them in properly yet but first impressions are good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom