E63 Panel Filters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chr1s

Car
E63 AMG
Anyone know if panel filters will make any difference on the 5.5 biturbo engine in terms of power, or noise.......or am I just being 19 again?

Filters themselves will make little or no difference really on a standard car. To get any significant gain they need to be combined with at least a new map on the ECU.

Even Weistec suggest this on their WEBSITE.

I've got K&Ns on mine now to go with the remap. Couldn't tell you exactly what difference they make but they let more air in ... .

So from what I read the standard filters slightly obscure the feed pipe and thus the air is disrupted at the entrance creating a dead zone at the front of the filters. This was proven on my last filter changes where the debris was all at the backs of the filters !

So new airbox mod is needed to maximise the intake flow.

but it still leaves the question does it make a difference without a remap !

So from what I read the standard filters slightly obscure the feed pipe and thus the air is disrupted at the entrance creating a dead zone at the front of the filters. This was proven on my last filter changes where the debris was all at the backs of the filters !

So new airbox mod is needed to maximise the intake flow.

but it still leaves the question does it make a difference without a remap !

Yes in theory.

I've compared the std filter v K&N in the very strangely designed E/CLS63 M157 and the difference in fitment is very obvious (had a few minutes today for the first time since buying my car to strip a few bits off and investigate). The K&N due to its smaller depth v the OEM filter, allows for more airflow volume into the airbox (similar as claimed by Weistec but their filter is of a slightly smaller depth), this is because it allows more space in the airbox and can only be an advantage. On fitting a standard OEM filter into the airbox around 40-50% of the filter almost touches the base of the airbox hardly allowing any airflow / volume.

I tested (unscientifically with a hair dryer and piece of paper lol), the flow of air through both filters and the K&N flows more air through. The OEM filter has more contact surface area than the K&N but given the better flow rate and depth, the K&N on this design of airbox is the better option. The Weistec filter may be a step better.

On searching MBWorld, UPD offer an airbox spacer kit which increases the internal area of the airbox and along with their own filter (similar in size to the Weistec), it allows more volume of air into the airbox and a claimed 20-30bhp. Seems a very logical choice of improvement for standard or tuned cars.

The only other possible improvement is to remove the directional Fins on the outlet side of the boxes......

Jules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom