E63 (W212) Options List

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T5R+

SUPPORTER
In a quandary as plan either to buy the new W213 (non AMG) or current pre-owned W212 E63 at some stage this year.

Need to understand the options on the E63. Appreciate they come well specified as standard but trying to establish if they came with PP/PPP and LSD and/or other "must have" options AND how to establish without a test drive or paperwork.

I have not driven one - as may do something stupid like buy it.

Finally, did the facelifted (W212) E63 come with the 6.2 or are they all 5.5l?

Be very careful taking an E63 for a test drive. I test drove one that had just arrived at the Main Dealer in July 2015, and about 10 days later it was on my drive. Mine is a 2015 with no options apart from black alloy wheels (code 752), and as a bog standard car it is very, very well equipped.

As I understand it all facelift W212's are 5.5 bi-turbo V8's, the last of the 6.2 V8's being in the early pre-facelift's.

There are two power outputs available, mine being standard at 557hp and an 'S' version at 585hp with a higher top speed limiter, a standard L.S.D. and red brake callipers. The 'S' version also came at a £10,000 increase in cost over the standard version.

There are good deals to be had on new cars if you get the timing right. I got mine brand new at just under £60,000 when the list price was just over £74,000.

Must have options for me are LSD, Distronic, dynamic heated cooled massage seats, alacantara headlining, all the driver aids etc and performance pack.

In a quandary as plan either to buy the new W213 (non AMG) or current pre-owned W212 E63 at some stage this year
If you're minded to buy a "cooking" W213 then whatever you do, don't drive a W212 E63 because that's what you'll end up with :D

Not sure what your budget is, so I don't know if you're looking at facelift (2013-on) or pre-facelift cars?

If you're looking at pre-facelift ones then it will only have an LSD if it's a PPP car or someone spec'd it as an option. If you're looking at facelift cars, Pete Harrison summed up the main differences twixt the "S" and standard cars. My advice would be to not turn down an otherwise good car just because it doesn't have an LSD as the Quaife ATB diff can be fitted to cure that deficiency.

My "must have" options are similar to c_200k's, i.e. the Ventilated Dynamic Multi-Contour Seats, and the Driving Assistance Package. The seats because they are probably the most comfortable I've ever sat in, and the Driving Assistance toys primarily for the Distronic Plus which makes motorway driving much less stressful.

There are a relatively large number of ex-demo E63's available at the moment at attractive prices as Mercedes dealers are clearing them out before the W213 arrives, and they're coming with two years' servicing thrown in to the deal. I replaced my pre-facelift PPP car with a facelift one last month (thread here) and while standard cars are relatively plentiful, there is a paucity of S-model cars. There were also only two cars in the entire dealer network with my two "must have" options and I bought one of them :D If you're interested, the other one is in Hyacinth Red and is located at MB Blackpool.

Appreciate the guidance. Phil thank you for linking to your post.

One of the key things that I need to understand is recognizing the options on such cars without a build sheet eg having seen the photos of the interior now know how to identify one with mutil contour dynamic seats.

Budget between £30-40K as want to keep my other cars. This will get me into a facelifted car and this is now a must as already own a prefacelift W212 car, which will remain my motorway hack (my commute is 98% motorway in congested traffic and so pointless in an E63).

The "peace of mind" plus "2 years free servicing" along with warranty and benefits draws me to the franchised dealers but some of them lack depth of knowledge. Conversely, I could walk into a "top end auction" and simply buy the car hence needing to know how to identify options without a build sheet.

Very few MB dealers have any real knowledge of the E63. They sold almost 4,000 C63's and one tenth that number of E63's. No excuse, just a fact.

I'll post pic's of the key identifying features later...

hence needing to know how to identify options without a build sheet.
OK, the main visual clues to the S model are:
  • S badge on the bootlid
  • S designation at the bottom of the speedo
  • The AMG emblem is embossed on the front seat headrests
  • Contrast stitching on the seats and centre armrest and silver seatbelts
  • Illuminated front door sills
  • Red brake calipers
  • S chrome tailpipes
  • Electric roller blind on the rear window
I've seen a standard car advertised as an S model by a dealer in Essex. It had been dollied up with the S badge on the bootlid and illuminated door sills but lacked the other features, so check carefully if you're looking at what purports to be an S model car.

As far as options go, there's no easy visual clue to an LSD being fitted on a standard car, so assume it hasn't got one as it was an unusual option to specify.

A reversing camera is easy to spot mounted behind the chrome bootlid trim above the numberplate.

Multi-Contour or Dynamic Multi-Contour seats are easily identified as they both have a set of controls on the side of the seat adjacent to the transmission tunnel as can be seen in this photo:

If they're the dynamic version they have the "Dyn" button (the one with the two red LED's in the photo) and tab controls for the adjustment; the non-dynamic version has thumb-wheel adjusters and no "Dyn" button.

Ventilated seats have two air intake grills in their back, towards the top of the knee cut-outs, and extra control buttons on the centre console, outboard of the heated seat buttons, and with blue LED's in them.

It's unusual to find a car with only part of the driver aids such as Blind Spot Assist, instead they tend to have either the full Driving Assistance Package or none of it. The easiest tell-tale is that a car fitted with the Driving Assistance Package has the main star on the grill closed like in this photo:

On cars without it, the segments between the legs of the star are open mesh like the rest of the grill.

Split / folding rear seats were an option and are self evident.

Keyless Go should be obvious, but if it doesn't have the Start button in the ignition switch, powered boot lid closing is a giveaway.

The Night Package gives you gloss black exterior mirror housings, front apron trim strip and front splitter, rear apron trim strip and tailpipe trims, side sill panel inserts and window surrounds.

Other than that, there are various (expensive) Carbon Fibre option packages and Designo options including a Dinamica roof lining.

Hope that lot helps?

Phil

Superb, exactly the kind of guidance/input that I sought........

.....somebody owes you a pint or two
wink.gif

(Or as Developer suggests "wine")

Very helpful thread.

I'm still looking for a pre-facelift 5.5 estate. I'm inclined to just do it.

Are they reliable? I read about noisy? tensioner issues - is that a big issue or all probably recalled and fixed now? How would you tell?

My apologies - missed your questions.

My pre-facelift car was totally reliable, including all the optional toys. I bought it at 19,000 miles and sold it with almost 46,000 on it just under two years later, so it was no garage queen.

Regarding engine noises, I'd make the observation that the M157 engine isn't the quietest running unit I've ever heard, but once the bonnet is shut you don't really notice anything from outside the car and you won't hear anything but the exhaust note from inside the car either.

As far as the secondary camchain tensioners go, I'm not aware of any way you can tell whether or not it's had the rectification work carried out unless someone can confirm the history of the car, or you have access to MB's service records. Even if the car hasn't had the oil check valves and revised tensioners fitted, you won't hear any noise from it at all unless the engine is stone cold and has stood for at least 8 hours and even then it's only present for a few seconds after start up. The affected engine numbers are 157 9xx 60 009368 up to and including 157 9xx 60 022333 (which was built in December 2012), so that covers the majority of the pre-facelift cars.

Although the service bulletin says "No consequential damage is to be expected", I'd still want the work done if I had an affected engine. So, if I were seriously considering buying another early Biturbo car I would give MB Customer Service a call and ask whether they will carry out the rectification work FOC on an affected example if it hasn't previously been done. At least you'll then know where you stand.

The biggest problem you'll have is actually finding a pre-facelift Biturbo car as they're pretty thin on the ground. They're a fantastic machine though :thumb:

E63 amg-s (w212)

I have a E63 AMG S, and had a regular AMG previously. The different front-end and the LSD on the S makes it must be more drive-able when you are on it. The front end bite is significantly better than the standard AMG spec. You should try to drive both to see the difference..

P.

Interesting...

I was aware of the diff (I have a Quaife in mine), but what's different around the front end?

The S has an aluminium three-link front suspension (like US 4Matic versions). It's lighter and they have a different geometry set-up. If you drive them back to back you can tell. The S is more agile on turn in.

P.

The S has an aluminium three-link front suspension (like US 4Matic versions). It's lighter and they have a different geometry set-up. If you drive them back to back you can tell. The S is more agile on turn in.

P.

Thats interesting I didn't know that.

So that's where the 10k went.

P.

When I first drove my S I commented on how the steering was quicker than my previous E63 Wagon.
The turn in is exceptional for such a big car.

MB have a habit of not detailing spec and features - perhaps the £10K equates to more than what the sales patter brochure states.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I'm not convinced it's worth 10k. 10k goes a long way if you want to tweak a regular E63....

P.

Yeah, but I'm not convinced it's worth 10k. 10k goes a long way if you want to tweak a regular E63....

P.

Daveenty has certainly tweaked his very effectively within that figure.

P.

And £2k for front discs and pads on pp+ cars :crazy:
I looked long and hard and my head over ruled my heart on the C63. So pleased it did because the standard power and handling is more than enough to make it feel special ever turn of the key / mile driven. I have thought of mapping / exhaust mods but for ME its just another waste of money.
I have been looking at E63's lately and thats only because i intend doing a lot of miles to southern Spain and back each year and that little extra comfort might be nice but it wont be a pp model thats for sure.

Hmmm is paying £10-20k extra for an E63 for that extra comfort a little excessive? The only extras i would want are long range fuel tank (a must) and the high beam assist (love it)

Last edited:
Found the actual description of the front suspension differences between regular E63 and S-Model.

The three-link front suspension has undergone further optimisation for the S-Model and the E 63 AMG with all-wheel drive. In conjunction with the newly developed axle components produced in aluminium, these optimisation measures result in markedly enhanced grip and agility combined with a high level of neutrality during fast cornering. The markedly more performance-oriented elastokinematics are exclusive to the S-Model, and offer the driver maximum neutrality and even better feedback and grip at the critical limits.

P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom