eBay is getting a joke for selling nowadays!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
I've had the odd idiot in the past on eBay. Oh my little son hit the buy it now ( and managed to confirm the fact ) I bidded by accident. But just lately everything I've sold is to some ***** who never responds to messaged and never pays up. I really wish as a seller you could do something about these absolute time wasters. I have even saved some of them in my favourite sellers and keep looking to see if they list anything so I can **** them about like they have me, but they never seem to sell anything. eBay should charge for the time wasting pricks!!!

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10……….and breathe. Slowly, in and out.

I'm not helping, am I?

What really gets my goat is when I sold a truck on ebay, the bloke disapeared but the ebay charges still went out. Took 2 weeks to sort but they refunded as 'store credit' so I had hundreds of pounds tied up in ebay. So could only use it to pay for my other sales costs. Which are not that much or often!

Banned? Why? What did he say?

I bought something on eBay yesterday, first time I've used it in a while, the thing I found strange is that on winning the auction I didn't get any contact details for the seller, as it happened I was picking it up in person, so I sent a message via 'their system' asking him to phone me which he did. However I think if I had been paying by PayPal, which seems to be the only choice these days, I'd be reluctant to send money off not even knowing the persons address!

I agree about the time wasters, but sellers can't leave negative feedback these days, so that system is now ineffective, but I rarely use eBay any more.

I have to agree, I sold 18 items recently, only 4 buyers bothered to leave feedback.

One who bought a Blackberry, which was working perfectly when sold, used it for a month then left negative feedback claiming the phone was faulty without even contacting me.

Ebay, for sellers has gone downhill to the point you sometimes wonder if it is worth it?

Russ

I think once someone comes up with a credible company that gives both parties equal standing, eBay sellers will move en masse such is their frustration with eBay tactics.

E-Bay seem to think that they are so-great.
Their holier-than-thou attitude gets right up my nose.
I have not used them for months and look for alternative ways of selling these days.

Sold two items in the past two weeks.. Nice. In both cases the buyers did not pay within 48 hours. I emailed them and ebay asking for payment. Both buyers responded immediately saying they would pay by the following week!!! Both were never heard of by me again. Items, re-listed and sold again. Seems to be a Christmas thing where buyers change their minds or find something cheaper.

It depends what you're selling. Some categories are very reliable and never have any issues.

Cars and electrical goods...forget it, people always back out!

Other side of the coin here...

I only sell cars and high value electronics on eBay as I can't be bothered to go through the process for £20. Oddly, all the cars I've sold in the UK have been on eBay. Considering I have 6-12 cars on my driveway at any one time (I get bored easily) this isn't a small number.

The biggest "problem" I've had selling cars was with a Lithuanian buyer, who didn't speak a word of English. He collected the s-class 2 weeks late, but collected and paid cash from an ATM (after a painful explanation that he needed to withdraw cash).

On the other hand, as a buyer - I've had more issues, but ebay have always refunded me... In one case, I won some glacier walking equipment for £90 (valued at £300 new, or £150 second hand). Not long after, the seller got a pm from someone else, and sold it to them for £150... they did this setting up a buy-it-now listing on ebay. I contacted the seller, and politely explained that under the Auctions (Bidding Agreements) Act 1927 the item was mine at the fall of the hammer, and that they had no right reselling it; and that they could expect a small county court summons from me for the difference in price between what I won it at and what it was resold. Within hours the seller had apologised and sent me £60 via paypal. I was stunned.

So, is it expensive? Yes. Does it protect buyers? Absolutely. Would I sell on it again? Why not? For cars I find that classified listings are best. Cheaper (£15, no end fees) and buyers come to you to view the car... you don't close the listing until the cash is in your hand and the car off your driveway.

M.

I set the criteria for who can bid on my tems through my eBay profile. It allows you to specify all sorts - what feedback the bidder has (anyone with more than 2 negatives cannot bid on my listings, a feedback score of at least 1 is required, a registered credit card is also required as are a whole host of other things)...

In addition anyone who asks stupid questions gets a reasonable reply but also goes on to my "blocked bidders" list so eBay won't let them bid..

Have a look at eBay's options, you can (to a degree) minimise the chances of this happening, although TBH it's still a bit of pot luck.

The last guy I sold a motorbike to was so obnoxious when he arrived, not just verbally but physically intimadating that all he left with was a broken nose.

I kept the bike, and sold it a week later to a thoroughly decent chap.

worst ones are the seller who cant read UK AUCTION ONLY and then bid! you send them the postage to "botswana" and they say they cant afford the item now!

just block the troublesome bidders using the block list.

Sellers have no rights on ebay now, buyers can buy and change their minds even after you have posted the item, leaving you out of pocket on postage.

The thing is, at the end of the day sellers will go where the buyers are. There are quite a few alternatives to ebay (think amazon marketplaces, play.com marketplace, ebid, gumtree, etc - some even ebay owned).

That said, none have the sheer number of buyers that ebay has. So if I'm selling, my first port of call nowadays is ebay. I find gumtree (for cars) tends to get hundreds of responses, but very few serious buyers. Pistonheads is ok, but not as useful as ebay classifieds. I haven't used ebid, but used qbid a while back to sell 40 paintball guns when ebay banned sale of paintball guns... the winning bidder never turned up, and the seller complaint process was non-existent. Amazon is ok, but extremely inflexible.

Hence, while I'm more than happy to use an alternative to sell (I would welcome it as I hate the fees ebay/paypal charge) - until the buyers move elsewhere there is no point in selling elsewhere....

Catch 22?

As for buyers "changing their minds" - well, sorry to say, but on buy-it-now items, that's a legal requirement. The distance selling acts covers buy it now items...
M

worst ones are the seller who cant read UK AUCTION ONLY and then bid!.

You can set eBay to only accept UK bids on your items... that stops that once and for all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom