EBC Red stuff brakes - check regularly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E63s s213 2019, E55 2004 Silver-SOLD, E63 w212 Weistec AMG-SOLD, E55 2004-SOLD, C36 1997-SOLD
have had EBC brakes on my cars for years now, current set on the E55 for hte last 3 years, been through 2 track days and still only a third worn after 25K miles.

about a month ago i started hearing a click everytime i braked, probably happening for a while but i only noticed due to the windows being open.

I was also hearing a rattle which i thought was the undertray screws being loose.

anyway, took it into MB for its B service... nothing, all clear, last week i took it to my MOT guy and first thing he pointed out was brake pad material sitting at the bottom of my caliper. basically the pad had come off its backing and that was the clicking sound.

Lucky for me i have 4 pads per caliper in the front so the brakes still worked!

anyway, apparently mb dont take wheels off for A & B services anymore and the brake inspection is visual... uhmmm...

also a email to EBC and they sent me a replacement set of pads straight away.

spent most of the day resizing the ~EBC redstuff pads to fit properly in the caliper (this is normal with these pads). The old pads where fried.

FYI:- EBC Reds are not good with heat, they are just good for low dust, yellows are the heat resistant pads but high dust.

My pads aren't fairing to well with track use. Has anyone used yellow stuff or Rado performance pads. I have heard some horror stories About the yellows and their durability?

I use deriding ds2000 or Pagid pro for track use although there are now a lot of good reports about the new Sparco pads EBC never worked for me I've destroyed them all green yellow and red, currently running Pagid pro and the cars done 10 Laps if the ring with them on plus normal road use and I reckon they about a quarter worn

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

flango said:
I use deriding ds2000 or Pagid pro for track use although there are now a lot of good reports about the new Sparco pads EBC never worked for me I've destroyed them all green yellow and red, currently running Pagid pro and the cars done 10 Laps if the ring with them on plus normal road use and I reckon they about a quarter worn Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Thanks

My research brought back similar results for the ebc. How are the pagid on the road do they need warming up?

No they bite from cold but people tell me the pro ones are now difficult to source in the UK they didn't use to be but I've not tried recently but I do know a Motorsport company in holland that stocks them if you do decide to go that route and can't find them

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Can anyone explain how MB (most dealerships) can do a proper service and inspection WITHOUT removing the wheels???

Can anyone explain how MB (most dealerships) can do a proper service and inspection WITHOUT removing the wheels???

It's pretty easy to see whether there is plenty of pad thickness left and check the discs for wear without removing the wheels. That said, a major service should include wheels being removed for a thorough inspection IMO.

Would another 45mins labour at £100+ per hour be acceptable to do this though? The dealerships aren't going to do it for free.

The guy I take my Focus to for servicing removes the wheels every service, but that's just his way.

Not entirely sure how they comment on the inner pad thickness without removing the wheel?!?

Alps said:
have had EBC brakes on my cars for years now, current set on the E55 for hte last 3 years, been through 2 track days and still only a third worn after 25K miles. about a month ago i started hearing a click everytime i braked, probably happening for a while but i only noticed due to the windows being open. I was also hearing a rattle which i thought was the undertray screws being loose. anyway, took it into MB for its B service... nothing, all clear, last week i took it to my MOT guy and first thing he pointed out was brake pad material sitting at the bottom of my caliper. basically the pad had come off its backing and that was the clicking sound. Lucky for me i have 4 pads per caliper in the front so the brakes still worked! anyway, apparently mb dont take wheels off for A & B services anymore and the brake inspection is visual... uhmmm... also a email to EBC and they sent me a replacement set of pads straight away. spent most of the day resizing the ~EBC redstuff pads to fit properly in the caliper (this is normal with these pads). The old pads where fried. FYI:- EBC Reds are not good with heat, they are just good for low dust, yellows are the heat resistant pads but high dust.

FYI

This is called pad slap. Usually occurs due to ill fitted pads coming loose or as you described, excessive use.

My red stuff on the 43 crumbled. Awful fitment too.

The heat has to go somewhere and it looks like whatever holds the friction material to the metal plate is taking the brunt...

Nice to see a decade on EBC pads are still delaminating. There are far better options out there.

done 600 miles so far and all good, no squeel this time, last time they squeeled for the first 1000 miles.

i personally think the track days must have caused the issues due to heat! the pads were not cracked or brittle, just the one pad come off the backing.

At the MOT they don't remove the wheels and in fact aren't allowed to remove wheel trims, and the only mandatory safety check you HAVE to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom