Economy or standard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulW

Car
260E
Being new to MB's I am not sure whether I should be driving in the standard or economy setting on the auto box can someone enlighten me please :D
I normally use economy on the motorways.

S or E

On my 280E the biggest difference seems to be delayed kick-down in E.
The difference in MPG is about 1 MPG, ie within experimental error.

So, is there really any difference in fuel usage between the two ?

PaulW said:
So, is there really any difference in fuel usage between the two ?

We have had this discussion before, try a search on Winter or Summer settings here.

"Economy" is the same as the modern "Winter" setting, which takes off in second and changes later. Supposed to give better Mpg but I am not convinced.

Brian WH said:
We have had this discussion before, try a search on Winter or Summer settings here.

"Economy" is the same as the modern "Winter" setting, which takes off in second and changes later. Supposed to give better Mpg but I am not convinced.

Thanks Brian, will do.

When I picked up the car from Stuttgart the chap showing me around the car said never to use the W setting unless there is snow on the ground as the gearbox gets very hot.

Handy when there are hill starts involved as the car won't roll back. I used it today for that reason, I was driving in heavy traffic up quite a steep hill.

I don't like driving in W normally as it pulls away in second gear which needs more revs and is noisy (in a diesel).

PaulW said:
Being new to MB's I am not sure whether I should be driving in the standard or economy setting on the auto box can someone enlighten me please :D
I normally use economy on the motorways.
My C200 has a E-S switch. When I queried a fault at my local independant I was told the switch makes little difference i.e. it marginally affects the gear change points. Also the w-s switch was on a different gearbox and its operation had a greater effect e.g. staring in 2nd. The e-s switch was referred to as a 'bull**** switch.'

Cheers,

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom