Electric anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maxi4

Car
Not an MB right now :(
Guys - Just been looking at the BMW i3 on the interweb as I passed one the other day on the M25. Interesting little car. The wife has been on about getting a GLA for her next car, looking at the i3, similar costs, but no emission and tax benefits seems too good to pass up.

What does the forum think about these new generation of cars?

were not due for a change till next year, so Im just starting to look around for whats available out there

Cheers
Pete

As a dog owner and walker living in the countryside, electric cars give me regular heart palpitations. Less than two miles from me live a couple who own His & Her Nissan Electric cars. You hear absolutely nothing until they are about 18 inches behind you. Tooting the horn then sends me and the dog into a reasonably high orbit.

My only comfort being that when I drive past his house I know that they are both fuming at the gurgle of my V8 - AMG.

This aside I kind of do like them and the BMW looks good.

I'll take this one :devil:

MB-SLS-AMG-Electric-Drive-03.jpg

……. You hear absolutely nothing until they are about 18 inches behind you…....

I have experienced similar. On my caravan park we used electric golf buggies for transporting stuff about - I have almost walked out in front of them on a few occasions.

When they were due for replacement I bought petrol buggies - no such problem.

Considering the low use (about 100 miles a year) they are probably greener than the electric - when you have to dispose of 6 lead acid batteries every 3-4 years a few gallons of unleaded is less of a pollutant overall.

I know that the technology on electric cars is far advanced - but I still feel that the batteries are a major cost consideration and the green argument for electric cars is hardly convincing - after all, the electricity still needs to be generated and the batteries have to be disposed of. Maybe if every street has wind driven generators on the lamp posts………

So, I havent really thought about how quiet the car is going to be and if we'll be comfortable living with it. I guess thats another thing to consider as well, especially when we have children playing in the close quite close to the drive etc. I still think the models need to be a bit more appealing and have some appeal for me to go for it :) wonder if there is something that Mercedes are planning to bring out to counter this model.
Cheers for the responses so far

Pete

Guys - Just been looking at the BMW i3 on the interweb as I passed one the other day on the M25. Interesting little car. The wife has been on about getting a GLA for her next car, looking at the i3, similar costs, but no emission and tax benefits seems too good to pass up.

What does the forum think about these new generation of cars?

were not due for a change till next year, so Im just starting to look around for whats available out there

Cheers
Pete
I was about to start new thread re BMW I3.
Took a test drive today, all I can say is go BUY IT!! Its freaking amazing, its very fast( instant acceleration from 0mph, cruise comfortably at 80mph)

It drives really well too, good handling, good steering feel, slight firmish ride, just like any other BMW which is no bad thing :thumb:

The model I really like is the Range extender which has a 650cc twin engine generator to charge the battery up, so it could extend your range up to 180miles.

Instant heat from the heater, can you imagine it in the winter? No need for it to warm up, defrost the screen in no time!

How about this one. I saw it last week at Mercedes Benz, Ave Champs de Alysees
20140416_120519_zpsf1qpv4mm.jpg

The model I really like is the Range extender which has a 650cc twin engine generator to charge the battery up, so it could extend your range up to 180miles.

There's a few very interesting pages on it in this months Car magazine.

The electric SLS and Cigarette boat were both built by Zytek, along with the Audi R8.

How about this one. I saw it last week at Mercedes Benz, Ave Champs de Alysees
20140416_120519_zpsf1qpv4mm.jpg

I like that very much :bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:
Would be interesting to see what Mercedes come up with for the mass market

Pete

I was about to start new thread re BMW I3.
Took a test drive today, all I can say is go BUY IT!! Its freaking amazing, its very fast( instant acceleration from 0mph, cruise comfortably at 80mph)

It drives really well too, good handling, good steering feel, slight firmish ride, just like any other BMW which is no bad thing :thumb:

Instant heat from the heater, can you imagine it in the winter? No need for it to warm up, defrost the screen in no time!

Thanks kinaero - were still looking for options out there, I guess the i3 is now in the shortlist for a test drive sometime later this year. WEre not due to change the wifes car till Q1 2015

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom