Electric shower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I have to replace an electric shower that has gone faulty in one of our flats, the current one is 7.5kW but most of the ones that I can get locally are 8.5kW can this be used on the same cabling, or will this need to be upgraded?

For ease, I would rather not upgrade the cabling and just order a 7.5kW Triton that I have found at another supplier but it will take a few days to come into stock.

Thanks

Tan

Much depends on the length of the cable. In Triton instruction manuals there's usually a guide to cable diameter vs length - perhaps their website will have it.

I would expect that 7.5kw to 8.5kw would present no problem, provided it's greater than 6mm.

I'm sure a qualified leccy will confirm.

Last edited:
I meant to add that Triton do a various spares if you know what the fault is.

Running cold is usually thermal cut out (should read continuity) - about £15, or kettle (should read resistance) - about £35, both depending on the model.

The problem that I am having is getting someone out to fix it, the chap that I want to use, said that if its 6mm cable then its a max of 7.5kW. The showers that I have seen are £50 for a triton 8.5kW (on sale at screwfix) or £70 for 7.5kW.

Plan to get the shower and then he can just get in there and change it asap, both new showers have a 2 year warranty and the current one is a few years old, so don't mind not repairing it.

Plan to get the shower and then he can just get in there and change it asap,

This is not the correct landlord approach.

People expect you to blame it on the tenant, take at least 3 months to fix it, and increase their rent to pay for it.

Come on, don't get giving us a good name :cool:.

This is not the correct landlord approach.

People expect you to blame it on the tenant, take at least 3 months to fix it, and increase their rent to pay for it.

Maybe He's under a court order for delayed fixing...

7.5KW is abou 33amps where 8.5 is 37amps. Check your circuit breaker or fuse on the main board on what the rating is. That will give you a clue. A 6mm cable can easily run both and can go up to 45amps or so and that based on the IEE recommendations

Theo

There are various factors to be considered, such as the length of the cable. As it's a bathroom job you may well need part P certification - it may be far cheaper to fit spare parts to repair the existing shower to avoid the red tape.

In the old days when I was a sparky, a Triton T80i shower cost about #95, but to buy all the parts cost over #700!

Is this any good to you?

Hi

I have to replace an electric shower that has gone faulty in one of our flats, the current one is 7.5kW but most of the ones that I can get locally are 8.5kW can this be used on the same cabling, or will this need to be upgraded?

For ease, I would rather not upgrade the cabling and just order a 7.5kW Triton that I have found at another supplier but it will take a few days to come into stock.

Thanks

Tan

Try this its a Triton rebranded as Wickes own, replaced our old Triton 7.5Kw with it and water and electrical connections are the same

Aquatronic 1+ 7.5kw Electric Shower - Electric Showers - Showers -Bathrooms - Wickes

as a spark and electrical inspector there are several factors,basically what size of cable is fitted,does it run through a loft under loft insulation,length of run,what type of fuse is fitted mcb,rewireable is there an rccd or rcbo and then size of shower.
usually a 8.5kw is fine on a 6mm cable in a domestic property,but I would like to see an rcbo or rccd protecting it

as a spark and electrical inspector there are several factors,basically what size of cable is fitted,does it run through a loft under loft insulation,length of run,what type of fuse is fitted mcb,rewireable is there an rccd or rcbo and then size of shower.
usually a 8.5kw is fine on a 6mm cable in a domestic property,but I would like to see an rcbo or rccd protecting it

Nice to see you on the forum - I haven't seen you posting (at least in the OT forum) for a while.

BTW, the Omega is still going well! :thumb:

Nice to see you on the forum - I haven't seen you posting (at least in the OT forum) for a while.

BTW, the Omega is still going well! :thumb:

still floating around
still looking for an omega replacement mistake selling that
all the best

still floating around
still looking for an omega replacement mistake selling that
all the best

Had two Omegas, for 4 years and then 7 years. Loved the car. Sadly they don't make them any more. The Insignia is no where near... and it's also FWD.

Assuming you were talking about the car... not the watch. :D

Assuming you were talking about the car... not the watch. :D

Not talking about the car! :thumb:

Don't think a Vauxhall would have lasted as long as the watch has………

bit of a day for electrical questions..

to the OP, as a landlord you have a legal duty to ensure safety of tenants, options are:

1 - have appliance repaired by competent person and tested, no recertification required
2 - replace with like for like by competent person and tested , no recertification required
3 - remove old appliance and fit different unit by competent person and tested, recertification required

option 2 is most cost effective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom