Electric Smart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
I've been driving this today. I have to say I was fairly sceptical but I'm not embarrassed to say that I'm really impressed and will gladly swap my current 17 reg petrol version for one.

It's easily as fast, or maybe even faster, than the petrol up to 70mph, which is all I need for my daily commute within the boundary of Milton Keynes. Given how much battery I used replicating my route I'd only need to charge it every 10 days.

The bonus of not having gears, clutches, or stop-start to confuse itself with just adds to its suitability for the many many roundabouts here. Just instant lag-free quick progress which is vital for my roundabout-taking-approach.

Last edited:
Sounds all very encouraging. Rear wheel drive too...

One acusation that can be levelled at all electric cars so far....they're too heavy! 949Kg is pretty good compared with the competition, but it's only a two seater and shoul;d be about half that.

More carbon-fibre required and less toys and safety features. We've got a planet to save, and have to make sacrifices...

I'm afraid I would rather walk, Sorry!

lol harsh. It's way better than you think for doing 10 or so miles around a city per day.

Lighter, increased energy capacity battery technology will bring a lot to EVs.

One acusation that can be levelled at all electric cars so far....they're too heavy! 949Kg is pretty good compared with the competition, but it's only a two seater and shoul;d be about half that.

More carbon-fibre required and less toys and safety features. We've got a planet to save, and have to make sacrifices...

A stripped-out race Caterham is still 500kg, getting that with a modern road car with its many safety systems etc would be quite a result. It don't feel heavy or ponderous to drive really.

Happytalk73 wrote:-
"So your ML320 going on Autotrader then?"..

Not even slightly, I bought it to save the planet by doing 32 MPG, vs 17 MPG of my Audi Allroad, so I'm doing my bit...

If I sold it, the new owner might drive it more than me, so I'm keeping things green by hanging onto it!

Yes, the caterham is light-ish but still uses steel and other low strength-to-weight materials. With a modern, planet-saving design, we need to abandon conventional thinking thsat says "I can crash into anything (including a Bus-stop-full of pedestrians) and walk away with out a stratch.

Time to make the driver more vulnerable and stretch-out precious resources... Taking out the 500-watt stereo and electric windows wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

That's only 150Kg lighter than my 190E , so in a much smaller car ought to be possible .

I'm totally sold on lecky cars. I can't wait until the Model 3 is available on the used market, but while I'd love a go of this smart for a week, I couldn't drive a fortwo. I like big cars now. I'm done with hatchbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom