electrical additions to canbus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfarre10

Car
Vito 113cdi blueff
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a "12" vito 113 (639).
Ive ordered a reverse camera and parking sensor kit from ebay.

i noticed the seller offered canbus versions via a 12v relay, which i can fit cheaper.

is this the case then, any mods e,g, led lighting in rear, will have to be canbus ready. also what happens if i try without a relay, will it need a reset via a fault code reader, or just not work?

cheers

paul

Just fit the camera and forget the parking sensors.
Do you have Nav so you can see the camera?

Paul
I wired led strips direct into the rear light & they drained the battery within 2 days, so a relay would probably be needed, i just wired direct from the battery (with a fuse) to the led's & fitted a manual switch by the tailgate.

Paul
I wired led strips direct into the rear light & they drained the battery within 2 days, so a relay would probably be needed, i just wired direct from the battery (with a fuse) to the led's & fitted a manual switch by the tailgate.
hmm, yeah i was wondering about current drain.
What you did sounds fine, and i was considering the something similar.
The led strip i carry is 36w for 2.5m, though the smaller stuff isn't that bright, if your blind like me.
Toying with the idea of swapping the 15w bulb for 15w of strip and maybe rigging up a few 3w mr16's as the spread the light more for your watts, with a switch at each door relayed in case i forget about them.
Especially as i have a tailgate so a couple of recessed downlights would be great.

Just fit the camera and forget the parking sensors.
Do you have Nav so you can see the camera?
That was the plan, but with the sensor kit with the dashboard gadget only £15 thought I'd get one anyway n see if its any good.

Incidentally i was a euro commercials in cardiff today, to ask about parts for an alarm and such.
They were hopeless, flat out said i cant retro fit an alarm, or anything else factory done. He then pointed me to a young lad outside, form a big auto elec company, who was there fitting the £15 ebay parking sensors to customers new vans
This being sold as dealer approved!
Young lad was great though, asked about any canbus issues n he said parking sensors are so low power they are fine, any big stuff power via relay, and he does lots of alarms.
As he's from a big company they can issue the thatcham cat 1 status as "pro fitted", but said the alarms are cheap canbus ready and go it with no probs.

I just didnt want to trip something that'd likely need dealer reseting.

That sound about right, they just don't know what can be done, and don't care.
I can assure that anything can be done as I have done most if not all of them.
The dealers would never know unless they are interested enough to help like mine are.

That sound about right, they just don't know what can be done, and don't care.
I can assure that anything can be done as I have done most if not all of them.
The dealers would never know unless they are interested enough to help like mine are.
Cheers Zenman,

Been chatting with Bigun and Sparkydude, seems you guys get the whole vito thing.
Like the dealers yesterday, he says why didn't i just buy one with the stuff in i want?

christ we all want a brabus sport x with the toys, but even if I had the cash the missus would never let me!

I had ordered a new renault traffic a few months ago for 14400 on the road (sport), full of toys, nav, air, alloys. Then they cancelled my order as they'd stopped making it, as the new shape is out this month, at 6k more than the outgoing model.

14400 doesnt go far in the merc dealers, though i think i did alright,
paid £13500 inc vat and 11 months tax. Its 2 n half years old with 15k on it (private sale)

So options are strictly an retro fit affair.

What would you say is the best mod, in terms of effort and cost?
So far I've picked up some mudflaps from the dealer I'll fit tomorrow

cheers

Paul

Well when you look at a sport x its still very basic, the options push the price right up.

Its dependent on cost and what you want out of it.
Auto lights and wipers.
Auto aircon
Top tint windscreen
Folding mirrors
Sport pedals
Comand ntg 2.5
Dash garnish
Genuine matts
Locking glove box
convenance open and close
Colour code everything inc door handles
Alloys
Sunroof
alarm
Armrest
swivel bases
roof rails
Dab
etc
Its a very long list.

wow

Figures, I did the amg driving experience at brooklands last year, and both the sl and cls 63 didn't have a reverse camera fitted (ceramic brakes mind)

Here's one for you
I recently bought a huge air compressor and am teaching myself to spray paint, the aim being spraying the bumpers and trim when I'm good enough.
Obviously i have to flat down the textured surface of my grey ones ( a daunting task when you see just how big they are)
But I've noticed my grille is part of the bumper. I can buy the genuine sliver grille for a ton but'd have to cut off and make good my bumper.

Wondering if I'm better off buying a primer bumper, though i imagine it'll be pricey.
What do you think?

You need to start a new thread on that.
You don't rub the texture at all, it would make a big job even bigger.
Post in the bodywork and I will give you an idea whats involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom