Electrical Imports Duty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thmsshaun

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 C300 4Matic, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2015 Triumph Tiger800 XCX
No Duty Goods Arrived!

Anyone know what the import duty rate is for goods from China or where I can find it out. Dont seem to be having much joy on yahoo. Looking at some goodies for the car :D

Last edited:
Remember you'll get hit for VAT on the whole price (including shipping), as well as the import duty. Plus a variable 'handling fee' for recovering this money from you and passing it on to customs & excise.

BTB 500 said:
Remember you'll get hit for VAT on the whole price (including shipping), as well as the import duty. Plus a variable 'handling fee' for recovering this money from you and passing it on to customs & excise.

Vat yep no worries calculated it in on the hole price. I am just interested in the level of import duty.

When I imported my wheels from the US it was around 4% for those. Then the vat on top.

SportsCoupeRich said:
you can get a pretty good discount if you smuggle it in. Or hide it on your person when you cross the border.....

Think any saving would be quickly outweighed by the cost of me getting into China.

Thmsshaun said:
Think any saving would be quickly outweighed by the cost of me getting into China.
I'm sure that depends greatly on the street-value of whatever you're importing ;)

The answer is found in The Tariff. Only 65,000 or so Commodity Codes to choose from. No wonder people get it wrong

Edit:

It changes all the time as well as being confusuing. For example:

Tariff code - 8529 9081 43

Please note that a tariff duty suspension for certain types of plasma display module is effective from 1 January 2005;

8529 9081 43

“Plasma display module incorporating only address and display electrodes, with or without driver and/or control electronics for pixel address only and with or without a power supply.”

To be classified in tariff code 8529 9081 43, the goods must meet the terms of the above tariff code text. The code does not include video modules/monitors that are capable of displaying a signal from any source eg an automatic data processing machine, DVD player, camcorder etc.

Last edited:
Thmsshaun said:
I am just interested in the level of import duty.

AFAIK they don't make the rates public (or at least, easy to find). But I believe there's a number you can call, you tell them what the article is, and they tell you the rate!

I will take the gamble it will either pay off or not. Of course the company could be a load of crooks and I may not see a thing.

Is it true that if the sender marks the package as a 'Gift' rather that a 'Product' then no duty or VAT is imposable? Also i know that if its under £18 then its not chargeable anyway.

Rumble said:
Is it true that if the sender marks the package as a 'Gift' rather that a 'Product' then no duty or VAT is imposable? Also i know that if its under £18 then its not chargeable anyway.

Yes

Rumble said:
It is subjective, my Father sent some equipment to the USA marked as "faulty goods returned to manufacturer" and no taxes or duties were paid on them, however they sent them back repaired and forgot to mark the boxes so my Father was forced to pay duty on the items, it wasn't a huge amount anyway but still annoying!

Re. "gift" etc. you may get away with this if the invoice & other paperwork is sent separately. But if it's enclosed you probably won't!

Yes there's a minumum value, which I think is £18 or thereabouts.

I sometimes get r/c stuff from outside the EC, and whether you get hit for duty etc. seems to depend to some extent on where the item is coming from. I use a company in Japan quite often and have never had to pay a penny on anything from them! Whereas I've only bought from the US 4 or 5 times and always had to pay duty & VAT on arrival. It's the extra delay and hassle I object to most, rather than having to pay the money.

Just had email stating good shave been shipped given order ref and UPS tracking no so fingers crossed :bannana:

Rumble said:

Makes no difference,if it's over £18 there is of course VAT on items coming from outside of the EU.Sometimes you get lucky with the PO and they forget to charge.There may also be punitive taxes connected with trade wars on some items from China from time to time in addition to the normal import duty.

adam

Last edited:
Just had a call off UPS :bannana: Querying address :confused: So going to collect tonight :bannana: :D

No its out for delivery on the van nothing to pay. They just cant find my house number for some reason. Even if they could I wouldn't be there :rolleyes: so as I dont really have a great deal of patients I am going to drive over and collect when I finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom