Electronic Steering Lock Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkeyboy

Car
W204 C220 Cdi
As above really, my W204 ESL (2009)/started playing up today and I really can't afford to be stranded!

Does anyone have a recommendation for whi to repair it, or is it a case of renewal?

Presumably the latter will need recoding as nothing seems to be plug and play in this car!

Theres plenty out there offering a repair service, but I'd like to find someone who actually knows what they're doing and uses quality parts.

Tia.

Hi...yes you're right it does need coding, had mine repaired back end of last year and it cost around 450 pounds from Wayne Gates in Harrow, highly recommended garage that used genuine Mercedes parts.
I have heard that there are companies out there that come to you and just replace the motor in the eis but have had no experience with them, one word of warning though is get it repaired before it totally fails as if it fails in the locked position it will mean that the steering column will need to come out and then the labour charge will spirall and the car will be stranded and will require trailering to the repair garage which will also add to the cost.

I'm going to replace the battery first. I can't help but think since I had the sidelights on for about 15 mins whilst changing a bulb and the problem occurred immediately that the battery won't be helping.

That and the fact at the time it was reading 11.96v and hasn't played up since have a drive in it...

Fingers crossed anyway... Lol

Last edited:
Good luck, hope it is just that

I've booked it in for next week to have the ESL done anyway. It's going to be one of them things that I'll always worry about leaving me stranded somewhere if I don't get it done.

Ice nearly had it with this car to be honest, it seems like it's one thing after another!

What happened to Benz build quality? :-(

I have seen these go on older W210s but yours is the first 'newish' car that I've seen this on. Is there an emulator available? I know renault12ts had one on his W210

its a good idea get it changed before it fails...my ESL was replaced last week at a local independent dealer, I know he has done quite a few

you could contact Mercedes to check if yours has been replaced, I did and mine was the original....had a date stamped on it 2007

you will need your log book and photo id to order the ESL and a blue workshop program key.....cost £415 but you will get £235 back when you give the old ESL and workshop key back

ESL fails.....small motor can jam so the steering lock stays on also the circuit board inside the lock also can fail

hope this is helpful

I thought the new lock had to be coded in to work via a blue key or something?

That guide suggests its plug and play and I'm sure it's not.

Mines booked in for next week, parts are on order from Germany as we speak...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom