Enabling cornering fog lamps, and how easy to fit aftermarket HID's to A class W169.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mega_Angelic

Car
Mercedes A180 CDI w169 Avantgarde SE 3dr, in "Fancy Grey"
Hi, due to changing jobs with a long commute I've traded in my Volvo S80 T6 (18mpg) for a 2006 A Class 3dr Avantgarde SE (55mpg diesel). I have been searching around and there seems to be lots of threads asking how to disable cornering fog lamps. But nobody that I can find has asked how to enable them on my W169. Would it need a new Sam etc, or can it just be reprogrammed?

If its a case of reprogramming, does anyone know anybody that can do it?

Also I have the projector style headlamps and would like to stick in some aftermarket HIDs. This is the first small car I've owned, so I'm used to the cavernous engine bays you get on Volvos, where bulb replacement takes 20 seconds.

My understanding is that there is some kind of trap door in the wheel arch to get to the bulbs? I haven't had a look yet, as it's been torrential rain since I got home. Is there enough room up there for a slimline ballast? Is it easy to see what you're doing?

For enabling /disabling the fog lights when cornering. You need the have the light package fitted as an optional extra to use this feature.

Go into the settings on the main menu seen in the centre display. From there once in the main menu to see if this is fitted to your car.

This is done by

1) Turn ignition key to position 1, (you have to see your trip meter)

2) Press the reset button 3 times quickly after each other

Now you are in your service menu.... you'll see your battery voltage, now you can go through the menu....

Any problems and you want to exit without setting something you are not sure of. Simply switch off your ignition.

If you have this feature it should be found in the Lighting section.

As for the removal of the headlight bulbs. I too have the same type of headlights fitted on my car. There is no need to use the small hatch in the wheel arch. Simply remove the cover on the rear of the headlight and the bulbs can be unplugged and removed.

Tony

Last edited:
...Also I have the projector style headlamps and would like to stick in some aftermarket HIDs...

As far as I know, on the C-Class, the cornering fog lights option was only available on cars factory-fitted with the Intelligent Lighting option (Bi-Xenon HID), so if you car wasn't factory-fitted with HID then it does not have cornering fog lights and therefore there's nothing to enable/disable. Not sure if it is the same on the A-Class though.

As for retrofitting HIDs, there are a few after-marker kits who's legality (and practicality) is debatable, but a proper factory-style retrofit will require complete headlights, headlight washer system, and height sensors in the suspension, so quite an expensive retro-fit.

Some cars may already have the headlamp washers and the suspension height sensors (e.g. with Airmatic), in which case retrofitting HID's is easier and (relatively) cheaper.

But if your car does not have these, then the sensible option is probably just something like Philips X-Treme or Osram Nightbreaker Plus (around £30-£40 for a set of 4 bulbs).

I know I won't be able to enable turn foglights myself as its not fitted with xenons as with the c-class. But what I want to know is if it is possible for MB or a nice person with some software to reprogramme the car to do it, or whether it would require new hardware first. I know a few people have done it on older c-classes by upgrading the Sam to one from a newer model.

If its a case of reprogramming my current hardware I'd do it, if it requires changing hardware first I wouldn't bother :)

I know I won't be able to enable turn foglights myself as its not fitted with xenons as with the c-class. But what I want to know is if it is possible for MB or a nice person with some software to reprogramme the car to do it, or whether it would require new hardware first. I know a few people have done it on older c-classes by upgrading the Sam to one from a newer model.

If its a case of reprogramming my current hardware I'd do it, if it requires changing hardware first I wouldn't bother :)

I don't know the answer for fact, but when I enquired re my C-Class at the time I was told it requires new hardware and not just a question of reprogramming. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable would know for certain.

Mega_Angelic said:

Hi there I have just joined and wonder does anybody know if I can fit the new type of ice colour bulbs to my reg plate on my 10 plate C Class sport the garage said it won't work !.

Regards Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom