Energy saving trust green deal and eco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So you'll be able to buy a house and take on the previous owners debt!. I can see fun and games with that one

Key elements of this scheme to me would be the Assessors and Advisors = the "supposedly independent" people who advise householders about how to save energy. When questioned today about the training and qualifications required for this the spokesperson on Radio4 this morning was somewhat reticent. Evidently you "go on a course" :rolleyes: details here:- https://www.gov.uk/becoming-an-authorised-green-deal-organisation

This caught my eye:- Assessor organisations may work independently, contract with or be part of a Green Deal provider organisation. A Green Deal assessor can also be a sole trader if they are certified by a Green Deal certification body.
Organisations who wish to be a Green Deal assessor organisation should contact a certification body to discuss how they can become certified to provide assessments and advice under the Green Deal.

The statement in red set alarm bells ringing for me since it would appear the assessor advising the householder may be employed or contracted by the firm set to benefit from any forthcoming energy saving contract? It would appear we are back to the old IFA days only with insulation rather than investments?

Its anticipated a course taken by an individual would cost them from £1,000-2,000 and with no firm offer of employment at the end of course meaning in essence most assessors will be sponsored employees of a green provider? Green Deal Syllabus

Whether this assessor course has any examination as to professional competence at the end is not mentioned or whether success is largely governed by attendance and payment of course fees remains unclear.:rolleyes:

Of course it was stated householders will have the choice to use any advisor they like was emphasised today. Bet the guys cold calling on your doorstep in the next few months will all too pleased to furnish you with a list of rival organisations providing similar advice. :p

Last edited:
Sounds like another convaluted scheme to benefit someone else at the expense of the consumer :mad:

Sounds like another convaluted scheme to benefit someone else at the expense of the consumer :mad:

Most green initiatives will cost the consumer money...and all to pay for Cameron's PR campaign.
Other than fitting a condensing boiler most costs are unlikely to see benefits even close to the costs incurred and installing a condensing boiler only makes sense if you needed to replace the boiler anyway, replacing a functioning but less efficient device is unlikely to be cost positive in the devices lifetime.

I wonder how many Green Deal companies will recommend turning down the thermostat by 1C.

All of them probably. That's after they've sold you a new (more efficient) programmable thermostat!!

At full market price on a 25 year 8% APR deal no doubt :)

I hope these salesmen are obliged to show the effects of compound interest to their customers.

I took part in the Green Deal pilot scheme...

...and I was prepared to go along with it until the finance company that the local authority partnered with wanted my house deeds.

No chance!

I'm not suggesting that this full version of the Green Deal will have similar 'traps' but I would still act with extreme caution.

I can't see that encouraging debt is a good idea.

Next door neighbours at previous abode had a rent-a-roof solar panel installation because they would get loads of free electricity.
All I can see is that if they need/want to sell their house they have restricted their market - would you buy a house where someone else has rights over you roof?

I can't see that encouraging debt is a good idea.

Next door neighbours at previous abode had a rent-a-roof solar panel installation because they would get loads of free electricity.
All I can see is that if they need/want to sell their house they have restricted their market - would you buy a house where someone else has rights over you roof?

Totally agree with your comment regarding the encouragement of debt. Just so government can reach it's environmental targets!

And the "free" electricity would be £200 - £300 per year at best. The real money is made on the generation and feed-in to the grid. £1,000 plus for the system owner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom