Energy suppliers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
My 12month fixed price deal for Gas and Electricity with Sainsbury Energy runs out end of Aug and the increase to stay with them is driving me away.

There are so many other suppliers out there I wonder if anyone has any pro's and cons for any particular company?

I'm being swayed by a fixed deal with EON, but not liking the reviews I've read.
Got a 3 bed semi and paying £60 a month dual fuel currently.
The EON deal would see it rise to £73 a month, a lot less than staying where I am on a standard rate or one of Sainsburys fixed rates.

That seems remarkably cheap to me. Are you out a lot or incredibly energy efficient?. I was with OVO who were good and paid 3% on credit balances. I have now moved to IRESA who were cheaper this time. Nothing negative to report with either.

That seems remarkably cheap to me. Are you out a lot or incredibly energy efficient?. I was with OVO who were good and paid 3% on credit balances. I have now moved to IRESA who were cheaper this time. Nothing negative to report with either.

Energy efficient I guess. Only me and the missus at home now, and I've finished with work.

I looked at Iresa who are the cheapest company of all, but very negative reviews. I am shallow and do take notice of reviews I'm afraid.:D

Roger, we're with First Utility. Can't give you any figures because Mrs Ant takes care of all that but might be worth having a look. She maintains that they we're the cheapest (for our area anyhow)

I have just switched to Sainsburys Energy from British Gas. They arent the cheapest but they are one of the cheapest and have one of the best customer reviews.

I just go onto www.uswitch.com every time mine comes up, so far so good...

Currently with a supplier I'd never heard of but the price was too good to resist, and guaranteed for two years so I leapt at it.

I switched from BG to Affect Energy in early March, their CS is superb, they were not quite the cheapest (IIRC Iresa were) but reviews were better. I've had to speak to CS a few times already, and they've been excellent, plus I get a monthly email reminding me to submit meter readings (which I do) and a few days later I get a monthly statement of account, so know how things are progressing.

Energy efficient I guess. Only me and the missus at home now, and I've finished with work.

I looked at Iresa who are the cheapest company of all, but very negative reviews. I am shallow and do take notice of reviews I'm afraid.:D

Nothing wrong with being cautious.

Had deal with First Utilty last year, easy switch from SEE, no problems during the year , just switched to N.Power, all gone ok, we are on electricity only

We are with Zog Energy for our gas and SO Energy for our electric.

I swapped from Co-Op (I found them terrible!) to Bulb energy 2 months ago. £74 PM for duel fuel based on my last 2 years usage. Excellent so far, I rang them once and the phone was answered in 3 rings!! No exit fees so no problem leaving if they play up. Got £30 cash back too through Money Saving Expert energy club, MSE also keep an eye on the market and if they find a better deal you get an email.

I switched to Utility Warehouse a few years ago and still very happy with their prices and service.

I was with GB energy. The prices were so low they went bust but there was no problem as the regulator ensured they were taken over by another supplier who even maintained the tariff until the end of the fixed term. After that experience I see no risk in going with the cheapest.

We've been with OVO for a couple of years now, and they're now paying 5% interest on credit balances (which is a damn sight more than I'm getting on any of my savings accounts!!)

IRESA are paying 3% currently.
OVO were brilliant when I switched from them and paid monies owing to me promptly.

It's not what you're paying monthly that matters as a gauge it's your price per kWh and standing charge.

Some of the better suppliers even show the TCR (tariff comparison rate) that gives you the clearest indication of what you're paying.

I swapped from Co-Op (I found them terrible!) to Bulb energy 2 months ago. £74 PM for duel fuel based on my last 2 years usage. Excellent so far, I rang them once and the phone was answered in 3 rings!! No exit fees so no problem leaving if they play up. Got £30 cash back too through Money Saving Expert energy club, MSE also keep an eye on the market and if they find a better deal you get an email.

I also do this and find MSE Energy Club a useful tool :thumb:

I use MSE Energy Club too Andy. I'm a true evangelist for saving money on energy! Not only to I provide readings every month on the same day of the month, but I also keep spreadsheets (years of them) with our readings and calculations. I know what my statement will be before my supplier does! I had no end of trouble a couple of years ago with Extra Energy (along with a lot of other people on MSE), then changed to Green Star Energy for a year and found them fine, although others are reporting problems with them now. Last year I was with So Energy - a breath of fresh air! Absolutely brilliant customer service, lovely people and a real personal service. I am staying with them again when our contract expires middle of next month. I explained to them when I joined that my usage for gas was a pure guess as we had had a new boiler and Hive installed. I reckon I'll be in credit by about £80-100 and they have said they'll make sure to refund the balance within five days so we start on an even playing field for next year. I really recommend them and, for he avoidance of doubt, have no connection with them apart from being a happy customer. Might be worth a look?

It's not what you're paying monthly that matters as a gauge it's your price per kWh and standing charge.

Some of the better suppliers even show the TCR (tariff comparison rate) that gives you the clearest indication of what you're paying.

I brought up the TCR last year on the annual energy supplier thread and was baited mercilessly over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom