Engine bay cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve333

MB Enthusiast
Car
Cls350cdi in palladium,C200k in tenorite,Slk320 in red.
The wife's new slk is in very good condition but like most the engine bay has never been touched by the look of it and being a fussy so and so I would like to keep it clean,what's the best method for doing this(not steam cleaning)?

I find Gt85 on a Rag works really well wipe of any excess and polish the painted parts, then i've used Simoniz Jet black to go over the rubber seal pipes and black plastic's.

merc85-albums-volvo-c70-cab-picture10021-engba.jpg

I find Gt85 on a Rag works really well wipe of any excess and polish the painted parts, then i've used Simoniz Jet black to go over the rubber seal pipes and black plastic's.

merc85-albums-volvo-c70-cab-picture10021-engba.jpg

Hi,thanks for the reply-your engine bay looks good!

I just pressure wash it all. Done that with every one of the eight cars I've had, some repeatedly and never cause a problem.

I just pressure wash it all. Done that with every one of the eight cars I've had, some repeatedly and never cause a problem.

That's exactly what I've been advised against by garages that have serviced my cars but if it works for you and causes no problem then good luck to you;)

I know, people do advise against it for obvious reasons, water getting in places it shouldn't, but so long as you're not daft and apply common sense, it's always been fine for me.

Obviously it depends on the car. I've got a mate who's brother's BMW ECU would flood when it rained heavily! Blocked drains or something...

I think I'll give it some elbow grease with the aid of lots of baby wipes:)

One thing I've always thought about engine bays when buying, if it's incredibly filthy I worry, I.e looking like its never had a bonnet

Squeaky clean and it makes me wonder if they've only just cleaned it or had something replaced

Moderately grubby= perfect

:)

I have an SL55, a VW Golf GTi, a Lotus Elise and a Caterham 7.......all engine bays are immaculately clean. I use Meguiars De-Greaser and Valet-Pro Snow-foam which I wash off with a Kranzle pressure washer. Initially several applications may be needed but then it's simply a case of ongoing cleaning to keep things looking nice. All pressure washers have an option to minimise the delivery pressure and give you a very controllable water spray that won't give the volume of a normal hose but will give a higher pressure. The closer the lance, the higher the pressure on individual items and you could be in trouble but just hold the lance within a couple of feet of the engine components and you won't cause any problems Your car was designed to be driven at a high speed in heavy rain, and a sensible wash down with a pressure washer won't be more than the manufacturer designed it to cope with. As with all things, be sensible.

Hiya,

I've always used Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner......spray on, leave for a minunte or so, wipe with an old microfibre, agitate tough areas with a brush (or toothbrush for nooks and crannies) and then lightly hose off followed by immediately spraying on Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care, shut the bonnet and leave to dry for a nice finish. Sometimes run the engine for a few mins to dry it quicker.

Hi I use a pressure washer don't have any problems with it but I keepThe engine running when I do it

I'd be cautious with a pressure washer forcing water into places where there really shouldn't be water.

I have used Autoglym Machine Cleaner and an open hose in an engine bay so I could control where it went, that worked fairly well.

On my E320 and CLS63 I tend to just use a microfibre and some Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl Car. Seems to clean everything up nicely enough.

8B41667D-47E4-4F90-A7E5-F18690B3C77A_zpspudsapmc.jpg

This is a first clean, not easy as the alloy casings hold the dirt.
First stage was good old gunk and a radiator long brush.
I will see if I have a finished picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom