Engine choice 220CDi or 250CDi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dellboi

Car
C-Class
Have a chance of changing my c180 Se Exec for either a C Class Elegance 250Cdi or a C class coupe 22CDi just wondering what your thought were on choice. elegance comes with everything as standard whilst the Coupe only has the standard kit.

Cars or very similar in price and mileage e.t.c

Cheers in advance

:bannana:

The C220 and C250 CDI engines are identical, only software differs (different state of tune). You could get the coupe remapped for a few £100 to put out similar performance figures, does that help in deciding?

If the coupe was the same spec, would you go for it e.g. do you prefer the shape/looks of the coupe?

The saloon would seem the best option if you are unsure about the coupe. Coupes are always a compromise so unless you lust after it you more likely to tire of it sooner.

Add the extra kit issue as well and it's 2 nil to the saloon.

Not quite identical.
The 250 CDI and 220 CDI use different injectors.
Latest fitments are A 6510702887 and A 6510704987 respectively.

Not quite identical.
The 250 CDI and 220 CDI use different injectors.
Latest fitments are A 6510702887 and A 6510704987 respectively.

Is this true for the 250 & 220 fitted to the eClass too? I only ask, as I had it confirmed by MB's technical department that apart from engine ECU programming they are identical.

Also, I have limited knowledge of MB, but I've already come across on TPMS sensors, MB using different part no.s for the same item from a sub contractor. So it may also be the case that the injectors are the same, albeit it with different codes.

cheers, Steve

I have a new E250 Coupe CDI.

Some fun facts. Same engine as the C250. Same chassis too. Same 7G+ gearbox.
No B pilars. whereas the C250 coupe has B pilars. For me the E250 Coupe is how a coupe should be. The C250 coupe has compromises.

The pano roof on mine is better than the pano on a C250. The blind rolls all the way to the back, whereas on the C250 it rolls to the middle. The E250 is marginally longer and smidge wider.

The ILS on the E250 (LED) is AMAZING. E250 comes better equipped too - command is standard etc.

I've driven both engines, and I valued the 250 much more than the 220 in terms of performance!

reason42 said:
The blind rolls all the way to the back, whereas on the C250 it rolls to the middle.

The pano roof blind on my 62 plate C250 Coupe goes all the way back, not just to the middle.

The pano roof blind on my 62 plate C250 Coupe goes all the way back, not just to the middle.

I think I confused the saloon and coupé. thanks for clarifying.

I had a C class 220 CDI Elegance saloon for two years, and then traded it in for the exact same thing but with the 250 CDI engine, which I also keep for two years.

220 vs. 250 performance is night and day. The 250 has so much more mid range it makes the 220 feel flat and gutless!

The two engines are 'similar' but differ in only small details, such as the 250's cylinders are slightly closer together (why this is important I don't know!!). The 250 makes more power and torque….

Anyway, I won't touch a 220 now that I've driven a 250, a different and (dare I say) more fun driving experience.

Cheers
Robert

PS. Don't forget to order the Elegance with "Parametric" power steering. The Sports models get this superior option for free.
It's the difference between 'one finger' parking and 'heave-ho' parking with the steering wheel - a Must Have IMO!

I'm keen to see the source of this if you are able to share?

Thanks

I knew I'd read it somewhere:

Mercedes C250 CDI Prime Edtion (2008) CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

Oh, I forgot to mention the new 2 stage turbo. I believe that's where much of the improved mid range 'grunt' comes from. Makes a genuine difference to the performance. So it's more than just an ECU remap.

The 250 really does have the better engine.

And if you'll believe that, try this one:

Despite all the quoted figures to the contrary, I regularly got 2 mpg more from my 250 during my regular run from London to Leicester and back again!! (4 years making that exact same journey late on a Friday night can't be wrong?)

Cheers, Robert

All the OM651 variants (current 200, 220 and 250) have the same cylinder spacing. I think Car were comparing it to the OM646.
Both the 220 and 250 have twin turbos.

So it's more than just an ECU remap.

The 250 really does have the better engine.

As per Steve's post above, you are a bit out of date. You'll see further up in the thread that I had it confirmed by MB that current 220 & 250 engines in the eClass are identical bar the ECU programming. Now, I didn't ask for other cars in the same range, but I suspect it's the same for the cclass too.

So remap a 220 and you will get the same outputs as a remapped 250

cheers, Steve

As per Steve's post above, you are a bit out of date. You'll see further up in the thread that I had it confirmed by MB that current 220 & 250 engines in the eClass are identical bar the ECU programming. Now, I didn't ask for other cars in the same range, but I suspect it's the same for the cclass too.

cheers, Steve

So Steve, are you confirming that the 220 has the 250's 2 stage turbo now?

Thanks,
Robert :)

cheers, Steve

What is the premium that MB charges for the 250 engine over 220? I bet it is something like £1500 to £2500 just for a £300 remap!

Don't they upgrade the brakes or gearbox to cope with the extra power?

What is the premium that MB charges for the 250 engine over 220? I bet it is something like £1500 to £2500 just for a £300 remap!

Don't they upgrade the brakes or gearbox to cope with the extra power?

It's not even a re-map - they normally develop the higher power car first, then "wind it back" for the lower power model.

cheers, Steve

Really... I see a 220 goes from 167bhp to 212bhp, but a 250 will go from 201bhp to 255bhp... I think there are more differences. A 200 will go from 134bhp to 212bhp though..... suggesting that is the same engine spec. as a 220 but low state of tune.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom