Engine Error Mesage - Reduce engine oil !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Mills

Occasionally get an error message telling me to reduce the level of engine oil. It says on for a couple of seconds and goes away and doesn't register as a malfunction on the centre display. It has one of those electronic sensors and no dipstick

I run a E 320 CDI with nearly 70k on the clock.

I have checked the inside of the filler cap and no signs of water, radiator expansion tank has no oil in it so I am assuming the head gasket is ok.

Does anyone know if this is just a sensor issue or is it something more serious

Any comments gratefully received

Andrew

I had a similar issue with my ML where I would get a message saying the oil was to high after several miles driving . I was being caused by diesel getting into the oil via a bad injector over fuelling .

If it's recently been serviced it may have been over-filled and you need to drain some oil out. Otherwise it could be a spurious warning, does it have a physical dip stick?

No dipstick it's all done off the dash.

I would say that I have done over 100 miles between the messages appearing so if it was oil level increasing because of fuel or water I would have thought the level would rise and stay there

I suppose there is no option but to get it onto a diagnostic machine !

What year is your car? Do you have a dpf fitted do you know?

It's a 2005 E320 CDI

I have done about 7 k since purchasing it back in May

I am assuming it has a DPF however there is no smoke when accelerating hard and it seems to run fine otherwise

On a run I am getting between 35 - 40 mpg sometimes more !

Ok it's makes sense to drain out the oil and measure it out. If its contaminated with diesel due to the dpf constantly trying to regen its easy to tell from the old oil.
If this is the case you will need the old dpf cleaning out. We can help with this procedure but first measure the oil out and check its not a faulty level sensor!

Thank you for the advice

How much oil should it take and how can i tell from the oil if it's the DPF

Looking through the service book it looks like it only got an oil change at the point of sale to me when a full service was due - now 7 k miles ago !

Around 7.5 litres. If you email me your vin I will check on wis in the morning
[email protected]

If its a 642 engine then 8.5 litres

Your vin number is on the V5 or passenger side of the windscreen bottom corner
Begins wdb211........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom