Engine oil cap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan-mb

Car
E350 CDI coupe, CLS 320 CDI
So gents
I cant get my CLK (209) engine oil cap off to top it up...cant even get it to move slightly any tips? its one of those caps that doesnt have a proper 'grip handle' just round with a little grove grip at the sides.

Thanks in advance DAN-MB

Jam jar trick is an elastic band around perimeter of lid to provide more grip.
My trick for my oil cap is a gentle tap with a plastic mallet to free its grip.
My trick for my brake reservoir cap is hammer and screwdriver.
Start gentle before going mental.

Edit PS: If there's no raised central bar to tap on to loosen with mallet - you probably need some form of strap wrench.

Last edited:
We used to take the tough ones off with the oil filter strap I'm sure some had never been off from new

Thanks ill give it a try. last time i started off 'gentle' was with the CD changer....it wasnt working so i whacked it with a mallet and it soon gave in and produced the CD magazine.
I was thinking perhaps it was technique not power!

If the cap is as I imagine it - with vertical indentations/grooves around the perimeter - then engaging one of those with the end of a screwdriver and tapping with a hammer in the appropriate direction should free it. Just be careful not to break the cap and have bits of it fall into the engine.

Remove it after you have been on a run and let the engine cool for 2 mins.

These are useful for oil filter removal, and tough grip situations > Mad Grip Gripper Gloves

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom