Engine transplant in a W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NW_Merc

Banned
Car
1994 Mercedes C180 classic
Would it be straight forward or really difficult to shoe horn a 300 TD lump into a W202?

Ideas please if you will :)

The largest [or should I say the longest] diesel engine fitted to a W202 was the 5 cylinder 250 However a straight six gasoline engine was fitted together with V6 and V8 engines [shorter but wider] The days of simple engine transplants are over I'm afraid. In the old days it was basically just mounting the engine in the engine bay and coupling it to the transmission. Now with integrated vehicle electronics and computer controlled fuel and/or ignition systems its far from simple!

That engine is BIG and HEAVY. I would be worried about the 202 taking all that extra weight. The springs and shocks would have to be changed and maybe the brakes. I am not too sure how well it would handle either!

seen a blue efficency engine in a 190 it had a special box in the boot to cope with the CAN and the electroics it was in the mercedes enthusiast magazine it was a lovely conversion

Lets build it and then work out how much it cost

seen a blue efficency engine in a 190 it had a special box in the boot to cope with the CAN and the electroics it was in the mercedes enthusiast magazine it was a lovely conversion

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/74625-retrofitted-1992-190-d-blueefficiency.html

Alas it took 6 top MB technicians and a budget to make your eyes water. :crazy: It's an awesome conversion but of little relevance to the average DIY enthusiast planning an engine transplant. It definitely falls into the " lets build it and then work out how much it cost" category I'm afraid.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom