engine transplant or mdification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

orion

Car
1987 merc 260e
hi my name is delboy i own w124 260e 1987 merc i have just suffered oil depravation at one end of the engine now i need a new engine so instead of putting a 260 back put an engine in with a bit more oomph or go completely mad and fit a v8 if its possible or up rate a 3ltr engine is there anyone who could give advise please:bannana:

A 3.0 M103 should be a fairly straightforward swap :)

Will

A 300-24V engine will drop straight in with very little modification needed ( uprate brakes to cope with extra power , that sort of thing ) . Takes you from something like 166bhp to 231 .

Hmm - I know in theory it should, but I recall some serious running problems when a member on here tried that swap?

Aren't there quite a few differences electronically at least? Fuelling, variable cam timing etc?

M103 should by comparison be pretty much plug and play.

Will

The AMG mod was to bore out the 2.6 to 3.2 litres as I recall. This was done on selected 2.6 blocks. Boring the 3 litre wasn't possible because the bores are siamesed i.e no water passages between adjacent pairs of cylinders. The 190 E 3.2 AMG was the first model sold through Mercedes-Benz dealerships with Mercedes-Benz new car warranty. About 200 complete cars were made, in black or silver: they were very expensive (about $90,000). Besides 200 complete 190 E 3.2 AMG's, Mercedes-Benz sold AMG body kits and 3.2l AMG engines separately, so there are 190's fitted with those features from factory or afterward. Sporty 190E 3.2 AMG straight-six 12 valve engines produced 234 bhp (174 kW), and reached 260 km/h (162 mph). Knowing AMG they will have probably used a piston from the MB "parts bin" of the time like they used a modified diesel engine crank for their 3.6 M104----- so a bored out 2.6 might be the basis of a modified car???

Will , as far as I'm aware , the 300-24 has very similar fuel and ignition systems to the M103 . A few guys over on the 190 forum have fitted them to their cars ( easier if you start with a 2.6 than with a 4 cyl car ) . I was also told this by Paul Mazzoni after my 300TE-24 was written off and unsure what I was going to do with the engine that it was a 'very simple modification' to fit one to a 190 . You'd obviously need all the correct ECU's and so on from the donor car so everything would work correctly .

The confusion may be with trying to swap it for a 280 or 320 engine both of which which have very different fuelling and ignition systems .

Last edited:
The AMG mod was to bore out the 2.6 to 3.2 litres as I recall. This was done on selected 2.6 blocks. Boring the 3 litre wasn't possible because the bores are siamesed i.e no water passages between adjacent pairs of cylinders. The 190 E 3.2 AMG was the first model sold through Mercedes-Benz dealerships with Mercedes-Benz new car warranty. About 200 complete cars were made, in black or silver: they were very expensive (about $90,000). Besides 200 complete 190 E 3.2 AMG's, Mercedes-Benz sold AMG body kits and 3.2l AMG engines separately, so there are 190's fitted with those features from factory or afterward. Sporty 190E 3.2 AMG straight-six 12 valve engines produced 234 bhp (174 kW), and reached 260 km/h (162 mph). Knowing AMG they will have probably used a piston from the MB "parts bin" of the time like they used a modified diesel engine crank for their 3.6 M104----- so a bored out 2.6 might be the basis of a modified car???

Nice cars they are,here is one http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/new-member-introductions/84995-mazza-here.html

I think the AMG 3.2 was a stroked 3.0 M103 and not a bored out 2.6

I think the AMG 3.2 was a stroked 3.0 M103 and not a bored out 2.6

You might be right Rob :dk: -that certainly applied to the later 3.6 engine. I need to get a hold of the bore+stroke figures for that engine to be sure.In the meantime here's a link to guy who supercharged one!! Look under projects.:rock:
Google Translate

From this thread on the AMG forum I think we could both be correct. The car basis for the conversion seems to be the 2.6 190E W 201.029. Extra capacity achieved by boring out and stroking with the OM 603 84 mm diesel crank giving a final bore stroke 89.9 mm x 84 mm This bore size is slightly greater than the 3 litre M103 which stands at 88.5x 82.2 and a lot bigger than the 2.6 at 82.9x80.25
190E 2.3-16 AMG version?? - Small Talk, Questions and Reports - AMG Owners Club e.V.

Last edited:
thanks grober for your help all i seemed to run into is peo0ple trying to riip you of the moment you mention merc is there achance you might know were i could get one or those engines or are they rare

thanks grober for your help all i seemed to run into is peo0ple trying to riip you of the moment you mention merc is there achance you might know were i could get one or those engines or are they rare

Sorry if I raised your hopes but these engines are very rare and highly prized. I was really just suggesting that boring or stroking your damaged engine was a possible way to uprate it. It means a total engine rebuild which would be expensive unless you could do it yourself. Otherwise a transplant of a sound standard larger capacity engine| + all the bits necessary to get it to run is the easiest option. Your best bet is an entire car--mechanically sound + chassis/body MOT failure That way you can get all the required bits and note how they all connect together before transfer to your own car. Get the "remains" trailered away or sold on for scrap.

As above a 300 M103 engine as found in W124 300E / 300CE / 300CE models will give you a boost from the 2.6 litre's 166 bhp to around 188 bhp .

Alternatively if you can find the 24 valve version M104 as found in 300E-24 / 300TE-24 / 300CE-24 will yield 231 bhp .

There are plenty of the 12V cars around , the 24V ones are a little less common but still not that hard to find if you keep your eye on eBay/Autotrader/Pistonheads/Car&Classic etc for a week or two .

If you look over on Mercedes-190.co.uk , there are a few guys who have fitted these engines to their cars .

There are a few V8 engined W124's around too , but there is a bit more work involved - engines can be sourced from W126 S Class models .

duplicate post

Last edited:
duplicate post
Thanks pontoneer for your help i would have thanked you earlier but i have had a hell of a time logging its wiped out a perfectly good password and every one they gave me would not let me log on anyway i have found a 24v 3ltr and 3.2ltr with loom i see you have mentioned 124 v8s is it going to be a mamouth to fit a v8

Thanks pontoneer for your help i would have thanked you earlier but i have had a hell of a time logging its wiped out a perfectly good password and every one they gave me would not let me log on anyway i have found a 24v 3ltr and 3.2ltr with loom i see you have mentioned 124 v8s is it going to be a mamouth to fit a v8

Id say go for 300-24

THE W124 and W201 MODELS were designed during a period of rapidly rising petrol prices and their engine compartments were designed to house the economic narrower block straight 4 and 6 cylinder engines. It was never envisaged that they would shoehorn a V8 in there. The W123 models do have wider and deeper engine compartments without the secondary bulkhead of the later w124 cars and I would venture are a much easier proposition. :dk: Getting a V8 engine into a w124 compartment is entirely possible using E500 parts such as the engine cross member etc but the difficulties arise with the secondary bulkhead, exhaust manifolds and in particular the steering box and linkage. Best to stick to a straight 6 engine. A V8 is possible but definitely not easy!:eek:

Hi, if you decide not to go for a bigger engine I have a 2,6 ltr off W124 sedan 110k, won't charge you a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom