ESP/ABS/BAS and cruise control warnings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowpipe

Car
2019 E220d Cabrio
Hi,

Got back from hols and fired up the car which has been standing for three weeks. ESP/ABS/BAS warnings and the cruise control is kaput.

I've done some research here and the best guess seems to be the brake switch. Now, all the brake lights are working. Would this still be a possibility?

Given the car has been standing in the open in the rain should I be looking elsewhere? I've given it a few journeys to eliminate low battery voltage issues but unfortunately it hasn't reset.

Almost certainly low battery voltage.
Put the battery on charge for at least 24hrs.

I forgot to add, should you still have the problem after fully charging the battery, try changing the brake light switch as you mentioned. Its worth a try for the £12 it costs.

Thanks - will be giving it a decent run tomorrow so I'll see how that pans out, and stick it on a trickle charge overnight if no joy.

I tried giving mine a run when getting all sorts of warning lights. It was nowhere near enough to fully charge up the battery.
Good luck!

I tried giving mine a run when getting all sorts of warning lights. It was nowhere near enough to fully charge up the battery.
Good luck!

I had a rethink after reading your first reply - battery charger now on! :thumb:

Still having issues. Car well and truly used, so battery shouldn't be the issue. I've just changed the brake switch but that hasn't done the trick.

Any help as to where I go from here?

You charged the battery fully and checked the voltage?

We had a car with a light left on that flattened the battery, connected it to charger for about 18 hours, still problems, checked voltage 10V, checked charger 10V too, battery was drawing too much juice and cooked the little charger.

Connected the battery to a 30amp charger and it was drawing almost 20 amps from dead flat, took 24 hours to charge fully.

Thanks, I'll get this checked - what voltage should I be looking to achieve on the battery (I remember reading somewhere there's a second battery somewhere in the car - is this right and could it also be a cause?)?

Last edited:
Hi,
The second smaller battery lies under the pollen filter, looking from front of engine it is at the back on the left. Do you have any service history to show when this was last changed??? If not and you have had the car a while then it might be due to be changed. Battery Voltage..... do youhave a multimeter you can use to check the voltages?? If not you can get a cheap one for a fiver, fine for DC car electrics, just dont use it on the mains !! Before checking the electrics I would check that the battery terminals are nice and clean on both batteries. Testing the battery it should be at least 12.5 volts, but I assume it starts ok. With the engine running you should be getting about 13.8 + volts while it is charging off the alternator. When mine is low on battery power, the warning message " convenience functions disabled " which goes when enough power is back in the battery. These cars are very greedy for battery power with their complex electrical systems and if your main battery is low then it might be time for a new one of those also. Once you have eliminated the batteries then the other warning messages might well go. Steve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZtXG7IOdlk

Hi,
The second smaller battery lies under the pollen filter, looking from front of engine it is at the back on the left. Do you have any service history to show when this was last changed??? If not and you have had the car a while then it might be due to be changed. Battery Voltage..... do youhave a multimeter you can use to check the voltages?? If not you can get a cheap one for a fiver, fine for DC car electrics, just dont use it on the mains !! Before checking the electrics I would check that the battery terminals are nice and clean on both batteries. Testing the battery it should be at least 12.5 volts, but I assume it starts ok. With the engine running you should be getting about 13.8 + volts while it is charging off the alternator. When mine is low on battery power, the warning message " convenience functions disabled " which goes when enough power is back in the battery. These cars are very greedy for battery power with their complex electrical systems and if your main battery is low then it might be time for a new one of those also. Once you have eliminated the batteries then the other warning messages might well go. Steve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZtXG7IOdlk

Many thanks, very helpful :)

Bit the bullet as I had the car in to fix a warped disk with a local garage. Turns out the multitude of warning lights is down to one of the wheel speed sensors dying on me.

Thankfully not the most expensive of fixes, but didn't see that one on any search!

Bit the bullet as I had the car in to fix a warped disk with a local garage. Turns out the multitude of warning lights is down to one of the wheel speed sensors dying on me.

Thankfully not the most expensive of fixes, but didn't see that one on any search!

Not much help now that you have your fix but I was told some time ago that a faulty wheel sensor could / would give you these types of faults. With me I had ESP and Tyre Pressure Loss inoperative showing. The dealer found the wheel sensors to be fine but "suggested" a change of steering wheel angle sensor "might" be cure the problem. I was not prepared to part with the thick end of £400 on a guess but I did notice that after a run of say 20 miles the fault cleared itself and stayed clear unless the car was stood for say over a week and the messages came back.

A very competant independent Mercedes technician suggested that because of the cars low mileage and low useage I should consider a new battery first which I did and this cured everything.

Thanks - have to say the car is well used, so I think the batteries are ok. The work will be finished on Monday.

I'll get them to check battery levels just in case :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom