EU Referendum

Should Britain Exit the EU?

• Leave

Votes: 105 64.0%
  • Remain

Votes: 59 36.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you vote leave, then the EU will have a large scale reform, will change the EU as it currently is and become something like the European Community of Independant states. And will in effect, remain as it is with some differing rules and a few changes but we will have left the EU and joined the ECIS (Along with a number of other states)

(Apologies to IBM and Apple. - and curses to Microsoft:wallbash:)

This is how I see it (or hope for). Sweden, Finland, Denmark and a fair few other states (including the RoI who were conned last time) jumping on the 'lets get out of it' bandwagon and proper reform actually happening instead of what we are told would happen but won't.

ps...nice one re:microsoft. Apple rules OK.

If we leave will we need a load of bureaucrats to manage the un-linking process and set up a new regime?

I can imagine a lot of contractors rubbing their porky little hands together at the prospect of a couple of years of £1k/day contracts coming their way.

If we leave will we need a load of bureaucrats to manage the un-linking process and set up a new regime?

I can imagine a lot of contractors rubbing their porky little hands together at the prospect of a couple of years of £1k/day contracts coming their way.

Business as usual then?

Whatever happens, it is going to be a close run thing. If we remain, it will be very interesting to see what happens at the next general election.

2015 election result

Conservatives 330 seats with 11.3m votes
Labour 232 seats with 9.3m votes
UKIP 1 seat with 3.8m votes
Lib dems 8 seats with 2.4m votes
SNP 56 seats with just 1.4m votes

Removed

Looking at the above, how can 1.6m scottish voters get 56 seats when 3.8m english voters get 1 seat? That is so wrong on all levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little tired of the whole affair now and looking forward to hearing the result tomorrow then we can carry on.

Despite being in the leave camp, I just want it all done now, whichever way it turns out.

Last edited:
Whatever happens, it is going to be a close run thing. If we remain, it will be very interesting to see what happens at the next general election.

2015 election result

Removed

Looking at the above, how can 1.6m scottish voters get 56 seats when 3.8m english voters get 1 seat? That is so wrong on all levels.

That's our system, it is what it is.

It's also why there are many people wanting proportional representation.

When printed in black and white though it does make you wonder.

get 1 seat? That is so wrong on all levels.

Would you read post #1 in this thread. No party to be mentioned by name.

Spoke to an Asian friend of mine. He said that the Asians he knows all vote Remain because a vote for Brexit is a vote for a certain population right winged politician who leads the Leave campaign (and shall remain nameless).

Not sure how accurate this is, but it does demonstrate that different people vote in different ways for different reasons... for many, it's not a simple 'will Britain be better off in or out' question.

Around Cambridge (ultra Left city) it's 100% remain, however a trip to the Midlands last weekend seemed the complete opposite

2015 election result

Removed

Another interesting paradox of this referendum is that most of the Brexit supporters would be very happy to ditch one of the most distinctive and successful British institutions (the First-past-the-post electoral system) in favour of a more 'continental' alternative such as the proportional system used in the EU parliamentary elections.

Another interesting paradox of this referendum is that most of the Brexit supporters would be very happy to ditch one of the most distinctive and successful British institutions (the First-past-the-post electoral system) in favour of a more 'continental' alternative such as the proportional system used in the EU parliamentary elections.

I'd be comfortable with that. I don't see a problem with PR in theory as it actually reduces the likely hood of freak results.

People don't feel the need to vote strategically or "protest" vote. The vote actually counts under PR.

Last edited:
Would you read post #1 in this thread. No party to be mentioned by name.

I did not read that, jumped to the end as always and worked back :doh:

I am with Mr Red on this, I have had enough so no more from me; you will be pleased to hear :)

Spoke to an Asian friend of mine. He said that the Asians he knows all vote Remain because a vote for Brexit is a vote for a certain population right winged politician who leads the Leave campaign (and shall remain nameless).

Not sure how accurate this is, but it does demonstrate that different people vote in different ways for different reasons... for many, it's not a simple 'will Britain be better off in or out' question.

Due to the nature of the industry we're in we have a reasonable number of "immigrant" customers predominantly Eastern European. All very hard working and sound tax paying contributors to our country.

Of the ones I've managed to have a conversation with about this all have expressed a preference towards Leave if they had the ability to vote. Their reasons? It keeps the people out of the country who simply come here not to work.

If found this profoundly interesting and wasn't at all what I expected.

I was chatting with a business contact last week and the subject came up, he is doing rather well in business at the moment and although he doesn't see any direct link with his business and Brexit he is voting 'stay' just because he doesn't want anything to change for a bit.
Selfish, yes but maybe that's a key to his success?

If I had to catagorise, and I'm usually more than happy to do so, it seems that business wants in and xenophobes want out.

Disclaimer - Purely based on conversations that I've had and some of them were in the pub.

I was chatting with a business contact last week and the subject came up, he is doing rather well in business at the moment and although he doesn't see any direct link with his business and Brexit he is voting 'stay' just because he doesn't want anything to change for a bit.
Selfish, yes but maybe that's a key to his success?

If I had to catagorise, and I'm usually more than happy to do so, it seems that business wants in and xenophobes want out.

Disclaimer - Purely based on conversations that I've had and some of them were in the pub.

I think many people are simply making a decision based on what they think will work for them rather than "the greater good of the country". And why not? What other facts do we really have to base a choice on?

Multinationals like the nice tax situations, globals (Coffees chains, big pharma) like the tax situation even more.

Businesses that export worldwide don't really seem that fussed (JCB, Dyson) as they deal with all parts of the planet.

Exports are a tiny part of my business but we export to both EU and worldwide countries, to us it makes no difference.

I import from China, Germany and Italy. It's all pretty straightforward and one isn't any more complex than the other. The only real difference being I have to get a VISA to go to China, but that's pretty straightforward.

We have an EORI number as a vat registered company and we use a freight handling company that has a VAT deferment account. It really makes very little difference to be honest. Even import duty is no more than 2% on pretty much anything we import from outside the EU.

Last edited:
EUROPA - European Commission - The EU institutions explained

I assume the commission are in the main the oft referred to " unelected Brussels bureacrats " who tell us all what to do"? . I have no dispute with that definition. However the general tone set by advocates of brexit seems to be that the commissions regulation seems specifically directed against the UK's interests whereas surely it applies to all EU countries equally? No doubt there are some regulations other countries find equally as annoying?

I think the whole thing has turned into a complete **** up.

Whatever the result tomorrow the losing side is going to feel alienated and disenfranchised.

What a way to run a once great country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom