EU Referendum

Should Britain Exit the EU?

• Leave

Votes: 105 64.0%
  • Remain

Votes: 59 36.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of cheap divorce and in case of brexit this will probably be the most expensive separation in history.Edit: The full price of the divorce will pay the common people, not politicians.

Tomorrow will be a very important day for me, even if I will not be entitled to vote since I am an Italian citizen. Before anyone asks, I did not even vote in this poll in order to maintain some consistency ;-)

I came to the UK 15 years ago with a relocation package offered by an American multinational company. Since day one I have always been paying my taxes, NIC contributions, stamp duty and anything else in the same way as any British citizen.

I will spare you the boring story of my life, but please let me take this opportunity to tell you that at least from my point of view the mood of the general population with regards to immigration has changed dramatically since 2001 as result of the incessant propaganda of the Daily Mail and other similar tabloids: 15 years ago I was an ‘expat’ from a friendly country and now, regardless of all my efforts to integrate in this society, I have slowly become an ‘EU migrant’, a category that is broad as much as it is useless, as it includes pretty much anyone from the rapist on benefits to the surgeon who gave back the eyesight to a young girl who had been deemed incurable by all the previous doctors.

I have been lucky enough to meet the latter type, as well as many other expats (sorry, ‘EU migrants’) with good jobs, skills and education who have always been playing by the rules and gave a significant contribution to the UK. We also got a lot back in terms of career opportunities, friends, family and many other things that have been part of our life in this great country.
Personally I like to think that I did not ‘steal’ any job from any British person, as every time I got a new position it has always been the result of a rigorous interview process, where my accent definitely did not give me any advantage.

All this focus on immigration is understandable, but certain tones, even on this forum, are very unpleasant, which is why I have not been posting for a while. Two months ago a fellow member commented that a gang of hoodies who stole his C class “looked Eastern European”, according to what he could deduct from the poor CCTV video footage available; a few weeks later, another member posted that as a result of some unspecified “relaxed approach imported from Sweden” wild kids are now scratching vehicles in urban car parks. This obsession with the EU is frankly ridiculous, especially considering that your country is one of its main members and many EU directives have been approved (or even instigated) by your own governments.

The EU is by no means perfect, but regardless of what you decide tomorrow, please consider that the 3M EU citizens who live in Britain are not your enemies and most of us are just “normal people”, living next to you, doing the same jobs as you and interacting with you every day. We might even like and drive the same cars ;-)

Happy voting!

Fab

PS: you definitely drive on the wrong side of the road, but I got used to it :p

[QUOTE/]
The EU is by no means perfect, but regardless of what you decide tomorrow, please consider that the 3M EU citizens who live in Britain are not your enemies and most of us are just “normal people”, living next to you, doing the same jobs as you and interacting with you every day. We might even like and drive the same cars ;-)

Happy voting!

Fab

PS: you definitely drive on the wrong side of the road, but I got used to it :p[/QUOTE]
Fab thank you, I was thinking of writing the same ex-pat/migrant story for the last couple of months but didn't have guts.

I think the whole thing has turned into a complete **** up.

Whatever the result tomorrow the losing side is going to feel alienated and disenfranchised.
Pretty much sums up my view of the situation.

The most worrying thing about it all is that whichever way the vote goes, on Friday almost 50% of the population will be against the outcome. Our politicians, both here in Britain and in the EU as a whole really need to take heed of that.

Pretty much sums up my view of the situation.

The most worrying thing about it all is that whichever way the vote goes, on Friday almost 50% of the population will be against the outcome. Our politicians, both here in Britain and in the EU as a whole really need to take heed of that.

I'm sure they will, and then carry on regardless. It's hard not to, when your nose is buried so deep in the trough.

Apologies regarding the old thread's Poll, I have tried for over 30mins to merge it into a fresh thread and have subsequently deleted it by the forum software in error. My bad, sorry about that. :doh:

People may have changed their minds since that one so a new one is probably a good thing...

PS: you definitely drive on the wrong side of the road, but I got used to it :p

But our steering wheels are definitely on the right side!

77 to 23%. Something to do with driving Merc's...anyway, very interesting all the same.

Find it comical how Independance Day 2 starts screening the same day as the vote, lol

Find it comical how Independance Day 2 starts screening the same day as the vote, lol

Not great news... apparently alien invasion is an event that repeat itself every 20 years :D

..The most worrying thing about it all is that whichever way the vote goes, on Friday almost 50% of the population will be against the outcome....

How true. And in this case a Democratic referendum no better than deciding on the outcome by tossing a coin. Scarey thought.

How true. And in this case a Democratic referendum no better than deciding on the outcome by tossing a coin. Scarey thought.

That's a bit unfair. According to the media some have made an 'informed' decision...;)

Brexit supporters would be very happy to ditch one of the most distinctive and successful British institutions (the First-past-the-post electoral system)

I think it's surprising the UK stuck with it for so long.

It's a rubbish system that makes a given % of the vote worthless and allows a minority share of the vote to dictate a majority share of parliamentary seats.

To

I think you'll find that if decision is made to leave the EU the nature of the UK is such that the status of those already here will be suitably looked after.

There are plenty of non-EU nationals who are permanent residents and have been for years and seem to survive and flourish.

...please let me take this opportunity to tell you that at least from my point of view the mood of the general population with regards to immigration has changed dramatically since 2001...

I find that sadly the 'Immigration' issue in this Brexit campaign is driven by a combination of reasonable arguments about migrants' impact on the local economy and public services etc, and plain old Xenophobia.

Across the media except on the BBC (British Bremaining Corporation).

It is actually a serious point as statistics show that 50% of the public only get their news from the BBC.

I think the BBC have been pretty unbiased. The debates have been evenly represented and the last few day they have interviewed stayers and leavers alike.

I'm definitely vote leave, i'd say about 90% of the people I've spoke to are vote leave but i really think this election will be rigged/fixed ! and we will remain in Europe.
Also alot of people unfortunately are more interested in the England Football team at the moment ..... Priorities :doh:

You don't seriously believe that vote rigging or counting occurs!!

Actually the football is a welcome change after hearing all the same opinions spouted for months on both side.

Sadly I saw a car today with its Chav flags sticking up from the windows :(

Surprisingly few flags for this tournament I think, on cars or anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom