Euro-tunnel experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
People here who have used the euro-tunnel how was it?

Might be using it this summer rather than the ferry as its much quicker..

Cheers
Abs

Great. We always use it. There's a fairly recent thread here with comparisons against ferry etc.

When I was working in France I used it regularly and never had a problem of note.
Just drove on the train in the UK and off again in France 30 minutes later and the reverse upon returning. Most times I never left my car and dozed through the journey.
I seem to remember the prices were cheaper for off-peak travel but things may have changed since I last used it.

Tony

Used it once (out and back) years ago for a trip to Euro Disney as it was called then. Very straight forward, stayed with car.

For a 4 day trip, prices seem to be around £150 return

You can use Tesco vouchers for triple their value so I currently have around £25 worth so £75 off! Seems a bargain for £75 return!

I use it to go to the spa and Nurburgring track days. So much faster. Hassle free etc etc but if you're going on holiday I find going on the ferry gives you the holiday feeling.

It's great. The only thing you may need to check are the LPG regulations, if appropriate.

I love it, no need to leave the driving seat from the UK to France.

It's great. The only thing you may need to check are the LPG regulations, if appropriate.

Ah right

Only Petrol for me so no issues there :)

Have used it 3-5 times a year since it opened, mainly day trip booze cruises using Tesco Clubcard vouchers so we get a day trip (actually valid until midnight next day!) so £20 of vouchers pays for the trip. Occasional delays - but then all channel crossings get those! Always first choice for us - and only 25 mins from home to the check-in! Also love the way, if you've given your reg when booking, you pull up to the barrier and have been recognised by the computer - and if you're early it will offer you the earliest crossing with space available rahter than the later one you've booked!

Great. We always use it. There's a fairly recent thread here with comparisons against ferry etc.

I actually started that one:

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/ot-off-topic-forums/223568-cross-channel-ferries.html

I went for the tunnel in the end, it's a little bit more expensive but I have a dislike of ferries. And it's so quick if you time it right, on the way back we arrived at the terminal, dived in/out in 5 minutes, were through into the queue, on the train and back on UK soil in under an hour.

Of course we then had to fight our way round the M20/M26/M25 etc., but we can hardly blame Eurotunnel for that.. :(

Cheers,

Gaz

Brilliant beats a ferry any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it regularly and it's a excellent experience. You may need to wait in school holidays but the rest of the time it's so efficient

mind your alloys if you've got low profile tyres. That 50mm steel kerb a bit of a bugger.:(

give you a little tip:

buy two return tickets is cheaper than just a return ticket

say your holiday is 1/7 to 5/7, buy a return ticket for 1/7, pick the time you want to set off then choose the cheapest return time slot, do the same for the return journey on 5/7. Just ignore the return leg ticket. It should save you a little bit of money.

give you a little tip:

buy two return tickets is cheaper than just a return ticket

say your holiday is 1/7 to 5/7, buy a return ticket for 1/7, pick the time you want to set off then choose the cheapest return time slot, do the same for the return journey on 5/7. Just ignore the return leg ticket. It should save you a little bit of money.

That's a really good idea buddy

Yes, I asked for advice on that thread earlier this year.

I have since used it on several occasions and it is fantastic :thumb:

One other tip.... on one occasion I was trying to cross during a very busy period (school holiday weekend).

The only time slots available on-line where very inconvenient, but I had to choose from the available ones, so I did.

I then called EuroTunnel on the phone to ask a question, and while talking to them it turned-out that I could change the time slot to any time slot I wanted, including those not available for booking on-line...

So my advise is, if you are unable to book online for the time slot that you prefer, then call then up and try booking over the phone instead :thumb:

One other tip.... on one occasion I was trying to cross during a very busy period (school holiday weekend).

The only time slots available on-line where very inconvenient, but I had to choose from the available ones, so I did.

I then called EuroTunnel on the phone to ask a question, and while talking to them it turned-out that I could change the time slot to any time slot I wanted, including those not available for booking on-line...

So my advise is, if you are unable to book online for the time slot that you prefer, then call then up and try booking over the phone instead :thumb:

Cheers will do

Also:

Just found out the tip the other member provided saves £50 or so.. well worth it

Be wary of peak times

All good advice here. The only point to add is to be wary of peak times such as "early" morning (perhaps around 9-10am) and late afternoon, especially Sundays.

They get more demand than they can cope with, and they will bump you back 30-60 minutes if they're busy, so try to take this into account. They count your arrival time from the moment you reach the check in computer, so be aware than it might take you 15-30 minutes in the queue before you reach the computer - so you get the joy of waiting 30 minutes to check in, and then find out you've been bumped back another 30-60 minutes because "you've missed your check in time."

The food price and drink prices at the terminal are a rip-off, echoing airline terminal prices, but without the justification or the quality: £4 for a poor quality coffee, £5 for a very dull sandwich etc. so you can save another tenner with the tiniest bit of preparation.

It's ridiculous really, if they ran a few extra trains you could literally drive up and drive on the next train - the tunnel has capacity for far more than it actually handles - but they deliberately don't run more trains in order to push people into the "retail experience," so adding 30 - 60 minutes to the crossing but giving Eurotunnel at least an extra tenner margin contribution per passenger. (Some people pay £30-£40 for a seriously dull meal)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom