European breakdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aerialmark

Car
E320 cdi avantgarde auto
In a fortnight I will be touring Europe in my 11 year old E320 for about a month(for my 50th birthday) although it is in pretty good condition I want to take out breakdown cover . I have UK cover with the aa but they are very expensive for Europe.Can anybody recommend a good service where if the car broke down and it was serious I can have the car repatraited at my request and not have it repaired until I get it back to England. I do not mind if I have to get a hire car at my expense but its the thought of having to pay out thousands when I could do it cheaper at home with maybe second hand parts eg egine and gearbox. Obviously small problems can be done at roadside and garage if needed but it just the major problems that I could not afford. I was considering ADAC.Does anybody have any experience of such problems in Europe or guide me down the right path considering the car is 11 years old. Thanks

I was a member of ADAC for years, then they had a partnership with the AA, not sure if they still do. What I can say is they are/were first rate.

I'm in Europe right now and took out extra cover with Brittannia Recovery.

The RAC are very good for older cars. If you are a member of the official MB club then there is no older car supplement. The 124 at 18 years old is around £196 for annual cover.

My car is over 11 years old so they won,t cover it. I think I will go for ADAC but would like to know a little more from people who have used them or if there is something better out there. :confused:

I can only give an opinion based on being a member of ADAC living in Germany. Whilst on a visit to the UK my car was stolen. ADAC provided/paid for a hire car for the rest of my stay. My car was recovered undamaged two days after return to Germany. ADAC, with the help of the AA had the car returned to my home address.
Had I broken down and I needed a part from Germany ADAC would have done this.
Whether or not anything has changed I can not say.

I can only give an opinion based on being a member of ADAC living in Germany. Whilst on a visit to the UK my car was stolen. ADAC provided/paid for a hire car for the rest of my stay. My car was recovered undamaged two days after return to Germany. ADAC, with the help of the AA had the car returned to my home address.
Had I broken down and I needed a part from Germany ADAC would have done this.
Whether or not anything has changed I can not say.
Thanks for your help Woody that has made my mind up I will ring ADAC on Monday morning and join. I have heard only positive things about them and time is running short. :thumb:

ADAC for me too a member for many years in Germany. I never broke down or needed their help but other members who did had nothing but good to say about them.

I just know you will be taking basic "spares" with you as you are that sort of guy. Dont forget 2 off breathalyzers if you are heading through France and a high viz for each passenger.

Edit.

German Reg ADAC car transporter passed me the other day on the M6 with two British registered cars on the back so looks like they are still doing a cracking job.

Last edited:
ADAC for me too a member for many years in Germany. I never broke down or needed their help but other members who did had nothing but good to say about them.

I just know you will be taking basic "spares" with you as you are that sort of guy. Dont forget 2 off breathalyzers if you are heading through France and a high viz for each passenger.

Edit.

German Reg ADAC car transporter passed me the other day on the M6 with two British registered cars on the back so looks like they are still doing a cracking job.
What basic spares would you take apart from what you mentioned above ?

A few bulbs - in particular headlight bulbs and number plate light bulbs, drive belt (as in fan) Windscreen washer fluid (Gonna be a lot of dead flies at your cruising speed!!) A "bug" scouring pad for the windscreen would come in handy. Don't forget "beam benders" Le French Fuzz will pull your for owt. SatNavs that have speed camera warnings are a "non" but I don't know of anyone being "pulled" for it. The ADAC will perhaps drop a leaflet to you in English as what to take and not take. I know your wheel bolts and wheels are copper greased so you will have no probs with a wheel change. Double make sure you have your locking wheel nut key with you and your spare is legal and inflated, generally to the highest pressure of your tyres, easier to let a few pounds out that put a few in. A foot pump if you have room and a tyre pressure gauge.

About it really have a brilliant time.

A few bulbs - in particular headlight bulbs and number plate light bulbs, drive belt (as in fan) Windscreen washer fluid (Gonna be a lot of dead flies at your cruising speed!!) A "bug" scouring pad for the windscreen would come in handy. Don't forget "beam benders" Le French Fuzz will pull your for owt. SatNavs that have speed camera warnings are a "non" but I don't know of anyone being "pulled" for it. The ADAC will perhaps drop a leaflet to you in English as what to take and not take. I know your wheel bolts and wheels are copper greased so you will have no probs with a wheel change. Double make sure you have your locking wheel nut key with you and your spare is legal and inflated, generally to the highest pressure of your tyres, easier to let a few pounds out that put a few in. A foot pump if you have room and a tyre pressure gauge.

About it really have a brilliant time.
Think I have that covered Thanks John. :thumb:

Just an update on ADAC, I send an email to them on Monday on this email [email protected] and they were very quick to reply (this morning) with my membership number and details on how to pay. The only problem was that it was in German ! A quick 5 mins on Google translator sorted it out. They wanted me to pay by bank transfers but I found an easier way, phone this number 004989222222 and ask for an English speaker and then you can pay by credit card (79-50 euros) which is standard plus membership. I also asked while I was on the phone the number to call if you break down in Europe which is same as above but change 0049 to 0041. I am sorted now just waiting for docs to arrive but was told if they do not come before I leave for Europe just to take membership number. I hope this helps anybody else who is thinking of joining. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom