Eurotunnel Experiences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
I'm considering using Eurotunnel to travel to and back from France. Has anyone got any experience of just turning up and buying a ticket rather than booking online in advance? I know exactly when I'm going, but for the return journey cannot be certain of the time I'll reach the tunnel (a mere 4,600 kms from mother Russia) although it WILL be late on a saturday evening. Neither do I feel rich enough to buy a "flexi" fare for the return leg.
My view is just to turn up for the return journey, but others may know different.
Cheers
Les

Turn up and pay is certainly an option. I used to drive to Zurich on business (more fun than flying), and we've driven in France on holidays. We've bought tickets both in advance, and on the day. The only disdavantage with on the day, is that tickets sold in advance are pre-allocated, and so you'll have to wait for a free space. In the height of summer this can be a long wait. Out of season, I never waited more than about two hours.

If you're going all the way to (from?) Russia, and then why not ferry to Hook of Holland or somewhere from Harwich? (You could even go from Hull to the Baltic). It'll give you the chance for a rest on the journey, and it'll get you closer to Russia than the chunnel will.

When I've driven from Zurich to the tunnel, gone through it and then driven back up to the Midlands, it ends up being long day.

PJ

I've just bought two tickets for a European trip in July, and you can but a Flexiticket from their website for £199. This allows you to turn up and travel whenever you like, without paying the expensive prices at the booths (which in some cases are over £200).

If you go on their website in the normal way and book a ticket your be given the option of a flexiticket.

Heyas,

Even if you buy a ticket for a set time, it doesn't matter if you turn up late (or early even). I've always bought a set ticket, both for the tunnel and ferries, and turned up whenever - in one case two days later, and I was still allowed on without a word of complaint. As long as you have a valid ticket, they'll take you as soon as they can when you turn up. These people appreciate that most of their passengers are driving hundreds or thousands of miles to get there, and that not everyone will get there exactly on time!

-simon

The only times I've pre-booked a ticket, and then turned up early, they've charged me to go through early (£20 on a £130 ticket, IIRC) - some time ago now. They don't charge you to go through later than your booked time, but they reserve the right to.

PJ

I've never been charged anymore for going earlier than the alloted time and I've never had to wait but that could be pure luck. They are generally as flexible as they can be and if it's just a car not a great wagon of some sort then chances are they can accomodate you more easily anyway.

If you can avoid the busiest times then you should be OK. ;)

All good information. Thank you all so much.

Yes I did consider going to Holland or Denmark, but boats travel slowly and my primary concern on the way out is to go quickly. I know aeroplanes are faster, but I need a car out there - renting in moscow is not really an option. I could rent a cheap russian car (unrealiable) or a foreign expensive one (rentals outrageous). So I decided to take my trusty barge (and a nice fat wheel clamp) for a bit of a spin. It is I admit somewhat indulgent but should be fun.

It helps that I'm travelling in the dead of night (calais 8pm ish) and should clear Malmo by 10 am next day (I have a co-driver). Sweden and Finland are safer and have better facilities than the baltic countries and the roads in Russia are better from this side. Longer ferry routes have fewer sailings and the tunnel is very flexible.

I think that I'll buy a fixed ticket from the internet. I'm arriving back at calais late on a saturday evening so I guess there must be some free space in the dead of night even if I'm late. Judging by comments, they are reasonable about late arrivals. They need all the business they can get I suppose.

Happy Hols

Les

Updated: Just booked online - so fingers crossed for the big trip.

Last edited:
DITTRICH said:
Updated: Just booked online - so fingers crossed for the big trip.

Hi Dittrich,
Have a nice journey,

Best wishes from a really envious person,
John

I turn up and go whenever I want. Only costs me £1 each way. :D

Would have been cheaper to pay full fare and not to have bought the shares. :eek:

As far as the experience, it's about as boring as travelling on the underground, but without stations. Good news really.

The great bit is being on the 'motorway' within 5 minutes of the shuttle arriving.

HM C&E are such a delight :( Sooo efficient & speedy.

Don't forget to put an extra few pounds pressure in the tyres, then....
Don't forget to visit Tesco Vin Plus. :bannana:
PS. No shares in Tesco)

what is this euro tunnell?? im a sheltered american :) is it that under the ocean thing they showed the building of on the discovery channel?? why do they limit the amount of traffic? b/c of emissions?? i think i may have answered my own questions but this sounds pretty cool...

alex

alboogiee said:
what is this euro tunnell?? im a sheltered american :) is it that under the ocean thing they showed the building of on the discovery channel?? why do they limit the amount of traffic? b/c of emissions?? i think i may have answered my own questions but this sounds pretty cool...

alex

<sigh>

its a train... - a bit like the BART - but bigger ;)

cars drive on to big carriages, and the choo choo drives off under the little strip of water called the channel (hence "channel tunnel" or 'chunnel') into EUROpe (hence EURO-TUNNEL)

at the other end, they drive off onto a motorway(UK) / autobahn(Germany) / autoroute(France) (thats what we call an interstate size road over here - the french and a few others make an extra charge to use it - the UK is free.

HTH

Guy

alboogiee said:
what is this euro tunnell?? im a sheltered american
Come to think of where's this 'san fransico' place? It isn't that provincial little dorf stuck miles from anywhere way out west where the only way you can get around is on some old tram type thing is it? Not that place where buggery's rife and everyone's a drug addict? Not that one is it?

alboogiee said:

alex

San Francisco........ :cool: :cool: :eek: ;) Happy days.

I had the priviledge of visiting that town way back in the late sixties when just about everybody wanted to make Love not War, how things have changed!!!

Haight-Ashbury sticks in my mind :cool: :) I must stop this day dreaming, I must stop... We all used to have flowers in our hair and everyone, but everyone was your friend.

John the romantic

glojo said:
Haight-Ashbury sticks in my mind :cool: :) I must stop this day dreaming, I must stop... We all used to have flowers in our hair and everyone, but everyone was your friend.

John the romantic

John you must curb this smoking habbit of yours, Cannabis is getting expensive now :D or is it something else ? :rolleyes:

Ian B Walker said:
:D or is it something else ? :rolleyes:

It's a fair cop guv :D :D

Happy days
John

fwb44 said:
It isn't Not that place where buggery's rife and everyone's a drug addict? Not that one is it?

No, you are thinking of Brighton.

Eurotunnel have changed their pricing policy recently. I prefer to get across & travel overnight so seems to me best to book well in advance aiming for the time slots between 22.00 and 08.00. Plenty of time for getting it wrong.

Time slots vary a bit but appears quite possible get across for £49 each way and be ejected onto the French road network when there is very little other traffic around.

It's worth pointing out for anyone else reading this who is considering using the tunnel; they don't allow LPG vehicles.

imadoofus said:
It's worth pointing out for anyone else reading this who is considering using the tunnel; they don't allow LPG vehicles.

There are restrictions on the quantity of fuel allowed in reserve cannisters. LPG supplies in caravans can be carried. LPG cars/vans cannot. Its all explained on the website.
Les

glojo said:
San Francisco........ :cool: :cool: :eek: ;) Happy days.

I had the priviledge of visiting that town way back in the late sixties when just about everybody wanted to make Love not War, how things have changed!!!

John the romantic
Respect ;)

I'm going back there next Easter for the first time in 30 years, wonder if there'll be anything left of what I remember ... sadly just a shade too young for Flower Power ... Gay Lib had hit town with a vengeance by the time I was there, they were a bit militant with it too :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom