Ex police sprinter to day conversion - gvw advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ell Tell

Car
VW
Hi all

Can you help?

I am considering an ex police sprinter, 2002 MWB, 313 twin wheel with a 4.6 max GVW. I want to convert it to a day Van / almost a camper for the kids and my mountain biking.

I need some clarity on a few of these questions before I invest:

1. Currently the ban is a riot van, 4.6t max GVW for 11 passengers and some goods. If i down plate the sprinter to 3.5t GVW and remove 6 of the seats, will I have enough payload to carry 5 people, 5 bikes and some ply for the interior.

I guess the equation is 3500kg, minus the current vehicle weight, minus the weight of ply sheets, minus weight of 5 bikes, plus the average weight of 5 people and their seats. This must be less than 3.5t Problem is I can't find the current weight of the vehicle

2. What is the process of down plating with the DVLA

Can you not get it on a weighbridge?

Having done a sprinter conversion its surprisingly easy to go overweight. ....

I wouldn't down rate it, as said above by the time you finish the conversion it will weigh more than you expect.

Also would a van with single rear wheels not be a better starting point?

If you passed your driving test before 1/1/97 you will have BE, C1, C1E, D1 and D1E where C1 is up to 7.5t plus 750kg max trailer giving 8.25t train weight max. With what you have listed you would probably be okay with 3.5t down-plating. Best place for full information would be a VOSA testing station, the ones that do HGV's etc.
There is another thread on here, recently posted, that discusses this; someone doing the same as you with the same vehicle, if memory serves. Use the Search function to locate.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/whee...yres-sprinter-416cdi-4x4-lwb-hr-crew-van.html

Here is the thread that was mentioned concerning downplating. It is not such and easy process but contact your local Vehicle Testing Station for info. It is better to begin your conversion with a 312. and forget the downplating part.

LWB 3.5t 2.9TD 312D High Roof -----payload 1430kg (including the driver of course.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom