Exhaust cross over pipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjoshyuk

Car
2003 W211 E55 AMG & 2002 SLK32 AMG
Avoid CKS is all I'll say. Overpriced and poor quality are the buzzword with them.

Give Imran at Torque Flow in Birmingham a call. He did mine and I can't praise his workmanship highly enough. You explain the sound you are looking for and he will come up with the goods.

Home | Torqueflow Bespoke Performance Exhaust Systems in Birmingham, Midlands

Stick your email addy up and I'll send you pics of mine. You can edit it out up to 15mins later. Either that or search around a bit. I have posted too many pics of my exhaust here already:D

There is also EMP at St Albans who are very knowledgeable when it comes to fabricating exhausts.
EMP Performance | About Us

Thanks

Last edited:
What roughly is the cost for fitting xpipe

What roughly is the cost for fitting xpipe

Check your email shortly. Best not to mention prices on forum.

Edit............You can edit your email address out now

Last edited:
All I can do is agree with the gentleman above, who has had the actual mod done on his own car.

As to the one you linked to, Caveat Emptor... Another one for the person who was suggested (Imran @ Torqueflow)

I also have crossover done by EMP an excellent piece of work!

photo2.JPG

So definitely a +1 for EMP from me

Ive had work from both EMP and Imran, depending on your location, either would be a good choice!

Interesting when one compares both X over pipes. The OP's appear to cross over more smoothly, where the flow upstream in both (separate) pipes come together and combine with out restriction. Yet the other shows the coming together of both pipes' in a more confrontational manner - almost like a crossroads. Surely these two combinations must have a dramatic effect on exhaust gas efficiencies and also noise?

Any observations from users?

Interesting when one compares both X over pipes. The OP's appear to cross over more smoothly, where the flow upstream in both (separate) pipes come together and combine with out restriction. Yet the other shows the coming together of both pipes' in a more confrontational manner - almost like a crossroads. Surely these two combinations must have a dramatic effect on exhaust gas efficiencies and also noise?

Any observations from users?

I see what you mean. My x-pipe is like neither shown in this thread:doh:
I guess the only scientific way to prove efficiency would be a head to head test on the same car.

Certainly a cleaner flow. But smaller diameter than the rest?

I'm keen to get this mod, can anyone briefly explain how joining the pipes creates a nicer sound + doesn't cause any pressure issues etc?

I'm keen to get this mod, can anyone briefly explain how joining the pipes creates a nicer sound + doesn't cause any pressure issues etc?

It's not so much the joining of the pipes creating a nicer deeper sound, but the fact the resonator and secondary cats are removed to open the exhaust gas flow. Those three boxes really restrict the flow and obviously silence the car somewhat. You'll notice on both of the photos, or mine have cats or resonator

If you are thinking about doing it, speak with both of the recommended exhaust centres and make your own informed decision.

Last edited:
I can comment on the difference as my car had a CKS X pipe on when i bought in back in 2010. When i swapped over to the set up seen on Mick Days car ( EMP performance ) the exhaust note was deeper especially on full throttle and to me it seemed to rev more freely.

It's not so much the joining of the pipes creating a nicer deeper sound, but the fact the resonator and secondary cats are removed to open the exhaust gas flow. Those three boxes really restrict the flow and obviously silence the car somewhat. You'll notice on both of the photos, or mine have cats or resonator

Thanks for the info, forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with me simply asking my Indy to remove the resonators & replace them with 2 straight pipes, not X'd? Wouldn't that do the same?

Saw a Jag XKR drive past today, sounded a lot nicer than my car, want to have something sounding like that.

Thanks for the info, forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with me simply asking my Indy to remove the resonators & replace them with 2 straight pipes, not X'd? Wouldn't that do the same?

Saw a Jag XKR drive past today, sounded a lot nicer than my car, want to have something sounding like that.

Mid-pipe

The section of tubing between the catalytic converter(s) and the rear muffler on cars that have two parallel exhaust pipes. Performance mid-pipes often have a perpendicular connecting pipe or the pipes temporarily merge. This is to equalize the pressure in both exhaust pipes and keep the engine back-pressure as low as possible since back-pressure is detrimental to high-end power.

• H-Style Pipe where there is a perpendicular connecting pipe, resembling the letter H

• X-Style Pipe or X-Pipe where the exhaust pipes temporarily merge, resembling the letter X

Aftermarket exhaust parts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom