Exhaust problem w210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
So the hanger from my backbox had snapped a while ago which resulted in the exhaust hanging pretty low (not really complaining about this considering its a 15 year old car).

Anyways over the weekend I took the car to the midlands to see some family and unfortunately they have a steep downhill drive (Not ideal :doh:).

My exhaust caught, as a result its blown and now and again it sounds like a 17 year old's Vauxhall Corsa.

I noticed this clamp had came off too.. before I put the car on the ramps to see exactly where it is blowing from does anybody have any idea as to which part of the exhaust this has came off just so to give me an idea.

Attachments

• IMG-20161227-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20161227-WA0005.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 27
More than likely the remains of that clap was on the joint between the back box and centre section. I'd advise you get it sorted a.s.a.p. or else there will be more damage to the exhaust system.

I reckon between catback and centre but a quick Google search would confirm

More than likely the remains of that clap was on the joint between the back box and centre section. I'd advise you get it sorted a.s.a.p. or else there will be more damage to the exhaust system.

Its booked in for Friday to get it sorted and I've got another car to get me around until then so it won't get driven much until its sorted, however the journey back home was around 200 miles, in terms of more damage to the exhaust system what harm could this have potentially caused?

It way not have caused any harm, you wouldn't really know until the system is inspected but it could have put some strain on a joint as the clamp was missing. I wouldn't be too concerned.

It way not have caused any harm, you wouldn't really know until the system is inspected but it could have put some strain on a joint as the clamp was missing. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Nice one buddy :) as always appreciate the advice from the forum members.

That clamp sits between the 2 cats, it hasn't broken either so can be reused.

That's the clamp on the primary cat, i.e. the first bit, nearest the engine!

There are two clamps like that. First as you said on the Primary cat and the second at the other end where it joins the second half of the exhaust. I know, I had them off when I had my car problems.

They look identical but are different sizes and have different part numbers. Don't lose it, they are around £40 each (yes £40) from MB and hard to find online!

There are two clamps like that. First as you said on the Primary cat and the second at the other end where it joins the second half of the exhaust. I know, I had them off when I had my car problems.

They look identical but are different sizes and have different part numbers. Don't lose it, they are around £40 each (yes £40) from MB and hard to find online!

Oooops

I know...I sold you the second hand one.

The rear hanger holding the exhaust up, which you said broke, can be welded back on, had this done twice on my old Estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom