Exporting a 300SE (W126) to South Autralia - From the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard300

Car
CLK230Kompressor (factory AMG sport pack) & Jaguar XJ8 (X308)
Hi, does anyone know if a UK specification 1986 300SE would be comploiant with the following requirements - for importing under the 'Pre -89' regulations:

VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN
1 January 1986 & 30 June 1988

• Seat belts for all seating positions complying with the
intent of ADR 4D.

ELR lap/ sash seat belts for front and rear outboard
positions and lap seat belts for inboard positions.

ELR seat belts must be dual locking and all seat belts to
have non-partial engagement type buckles.

• Verification of compliance with ADR 29
– Side Door Strength.

Evidence must be in the form of an engineering report
from a Chartered Professional Engineer (MR426).

• Child Restraint anchorages for each rear seating
position, complying with ADR 34A.

• Petrol fuel vehicles – The vehicle must be fitted with a
catalytic converter.

Not sure if I am reading that correctly; you are asking about exporting from the UK but quoting importing to the UK.

There are no such rules on exporting, AKIK. Seeing the plethora of stuff on its way out of the country to places various, I am certain none of them meet any of those criteria!

I'm kind of doing both....

I will be sending it to South Australia (exporting) whilst i am still in the UK.....

But the car wont be delivered (imported) to Australia until i am living there on my permanent residency visa.

Basically the car will be a UK car going to Australia permanently.

It really depends on what the host country would want in terms of paperwork. Some may want a UK export licence (bureaucracy is a global thing) but most do not. Most just want proof that the vehicles is yours and was UK registered (V5 Logbook).

I believe technically there is a need to inform DVLA but AFAIK it is a rule more observed in the breach than the observance, as it were………the main reason for doing so is to prevent road tax reminders etc etc for those who are exporting the car but remaining in the UK themselves. As it is a personal vehicle being exported (as opposed to a business) I don't think export licence will come into it, personally, seeing as you will be the keeper in the new country.

Last edited:
Thanks GVM.... I can get my head around the paperwork and the physicality's of shipping the car.... but the car must be compliant with the requirements (as listed in the original post) set out by the South Australian goverment...

So, for example, would a 1986 300SE be fitted with a Catalytic converter and what level of side impact protection would be on such a car.

Yes to catalytic converter (pretty sure, that is)………….as for the level of side protection, you would need to see what the Ozzies mean by ADR29 and how that translates to UK spec…..can't imagine they would have been made any differently by MB (for UK & Au) so probably a mute point. Wouldn't know how to go about checking though………..maybe a VoSA office/main testing station will have UK data?

So, for example, would a 1986 300SE be fitted with a Catalytic converter and what level of side impact protection would be on such a car.

No catalytic converter unless specified as an option, but someone might come along and prove me wrong. I've had one too many 126s over the years and none had cats.

First question perhaps would be was this model ever sold in Australia?

They were a rather popular model there, but with an emission spec similar to Japan.

They sell the car in Australia too. Euro regs are tougher. I doubt it wouldn't meet ALL regs required anyway.

I doubt that an 86 car would have a CAT , they tended to be only the last two or three years of production .

Most of the other stuff should be fine as the W126 was widely sold down under and I doubt that factory spec for things like doors and seat belts will differ much if at all - belts could be changed if need be .

Having relatives who recently emigrated to Perth , I understand from speaking to them that you can only take one car out every 10 years as a personal import , but the process is easier if it has been your car back here for more than a year . As Jay says , import duties are high and most people don't bother .

The only person I know who did it was a friend who went out to join his son after he retired , and took his 1964 Austin Healey , which he had owned for many years and restored , with him . It certainly had neither belts nor cats .

No catalytic converter unless specified as an option, but someone might come along and prove me wrong. I've had one too many 126s over the years and none had cats.

Richard300. I stand corrected and apologise. The only way to be sure is get under the car and look or post your VIN here, asking for a decode (or ask a dealer for the same).

This page will give you pictures if you are unsure. https://www.catalyticconvertersonline.com/c-mercedes-benz-300-catalytic-converters-18813

All the best.

Where's autralia ;)

It's the land where they have poionou pider, catlemaine and foter beer, urfing at Bondi and where the women are called "heila"

Also famous for typewriters without a letter "S"...

It will cost but cars are alot more expensive in Australia than over here, especially prestige brands. A friend was trying to buy a W124 Diesel estate but the only decent ones he could find were £8k with intergalatic mileage on them, W123 Diesel estates were similar prices.

It will cost but cars are alot more expensive in Australia than over here, especially prestige brands. A friend was trying to buy a W124 Diesel estate but the only decent ones he could find were £8k with intergalatic mileage on them, W123 Diesel estates were similar prices.

If you look at the PH thread you'll see that six years ago a chap paid £10K to get his Elise into Oz.

Thanks for the response chaps.... Oh, and just noticed the lack of an 'S' in Australia :)

European stuff is indeed a lot more expensive in Australia - As new they have huge import duty placed upon them (I think a current S500L would cost about $245.000)! As a result their elevated value seems to stay with them throughout their second hand life.

You can take a personal import when you emigrate BUT you have to have owned and had the car on the road, for a minimum of 12 months before you move/activate the Visa - Sadly i wont have owned my current Jaguar for that long and i now REALLY regret selling my Jaguar XJR and Alpina B10 earlier in the year.....

Looks like utilising the Pre 1989 rule (again allows you to dodge large import duty fee's) with something like a W126 or a Series III Jaguar isn't going to happen either - due to the requirement for a cat and the side protection....

Shame as i may have just chanced upon a 560SEL today - The 300SE sold before i got the opportunity to look at it..... I may still have a punt though, as something to waft around in before i commit to a year of driving a Holden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom