Exterior Mobile Phone Aerial?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregE240

Car
1990 500SL
Well, its "spend a few quid on the car month" at the moment.

I've decided I'm keeping the car for the time being, so thus far its had:

New boot and NS front wing under warranty (at bloody last)
Front end respray done by MB (best £150 ever spent)
4 new AMG mats
All 4 wheels refurbished (pics soon)
New front windscreen (MOT next month)
A B service at MB

My final project is the hands free kit. It was installed about 9 months ago now and is okay most of the time. However, it is prone to the other persons voice coming through the speakers being almost inaudible. It increases again, then drops off. Volume on phone has no effect at all.

Now I've seen Mercs with a pukka rear aerial that sits at the top of the rear window - I'm guessing its for the phone because some COMAND-less cars have had it on.

Does anyone have a part number, and better still, a cost? I've got a friend who fits car kits who can do it for me (he told me I needed an external aerial, currently got a tax disc holder type).

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

I have a tax disc type aerial and have always found it to be very good, I have the phone-kit output coming through the front speakers of the radio and it auto-mutes the radio, I can adjust the volume on the handset or through the radio.

I have the Nokia kit, what have you got? I find mine also works fine without the aerial so I reckon you might have a problem other than reception.

James, I've got exactly the same as you mate. The caller coming through the front speakers seems to get quiet, and then get louder again....my colleague thought it might be reception related? Admittedly, he was trying to diagnose via e-mail.

Hmm, strange. Must admit I have a old 6310i that gets better reception than any of the modern ones I have tried. I am on Orange and they keep offering me an upgrade but I have been advised to keep the 6310 or get a replacement before they stop making them as they are the best phone Nokia ever made. The misses has a new small, Nokia camera phone, and the reception is poor with the reception fading in and out all the time.

Have you tried a different phone?

theres one on ebay sorry cant find link but it is on uk siye.

Like the one in the ebay link or like Koolvin's below?

vin_aerial.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a combined GPS and telephone aerial.

Requires some nerve to fit though!

drillroof.jpg

I know you are jealous of my rep special really!

aerial.jpg

jimmy said:
Hmm, strange. Must admit I have a old 6310i that gets better reception than any of the modern ones I have tried. I am on Orange and they keep offering me an upgrade but I have been advised to keep the 6310 or get a replacement before they stop making them as they are the best phone Nokia ever made. The misses has a new small, Nokia camera phone, and the reception is poor with the reception fading in and out all the time.

Have you tried a different phone?

The 6310i is by far the best phone in the world :) yay for nokia. Boo for nokia who have stupidly stoped making them.... they will live to regret it :confused:

Can't say I miss my 6310i at all!

Mono screen and no camera I don't know how I survived. I haven't noticed any loss of signal switching to newer phones.

When I had my car kit fitted I was told by a couple of installers that Mercedes do not allow glass mount or tax disc holder aerials, as they can interfere with the air bag systems. I went for a bumper mount aerial. I don't know how good it is but I rarely get any dropped calls.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and advice, chaps.

I don't think its the phone because it used to happen on my old 6310 and now still happens on my 6310i.

The E bay link is for a DUMMY antenna, no good for me I'm afraid! Does look bang on though....

I shall have to trawl places for a decent antenna and find the best solution. Hope it won't cost too much as the majority of the leg work is already done.

Thanks again,
Greg

I've heard too that Hirschmann Bumper arials are excellant. cost about £50 + VAT + Fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom