Failed MOT Emissions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

angelstar000

Car
W124 E220 1994 Mercedes
Hi,
My W124 1994 just failed it's MOT on Emissions

Fast idle
CO 0.99 fail
HC 43 pass
^ 0.98 pass

Second fast idle
CO 1.10 fail
HC 45 Pass
^ 0.980 Pass

Natural idle
CO 1.15 fail

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done or what I can do to pass the retest? The garage wasn't very helpful at all!

You have to look at the basics- when did you last change the air filter- when did you last clean the throat/ throttle plate of the throttle body? If dirty a sticky throttle body can effect idle. Other things to check engine coolant temperature sensor and the inlet air temperature sensor---- and the real biggie--- the MAF [ the mass airflow meter] depending on model they can be cleaned [ very carefully! ] the sensor unit replaced [Pierburg] or the entire unit changed- don't be tempted by cheap chinese knock offs they don't last get the real thing made usually by Bosch. LOTS OF POSTS ON HERE HOW TO TACKLE THIS SORT OF STUFF.

A 94 will have a Cat ?

..and closed loop control of the injection so for me the O2 sensor looks suspect.

A CO of 1 is way high for a car with a cat even the injected engines without a cat could get below that.

A 94 will have a Cat ?

..and closed loop control of the injection so for me the O2 sensor looks suspect.

A CO of 1 is way high for a car with a cat even the injected engines without a cat could get below that.

Good call and the MAF and Lambda sensor wires are often the first part of the wiring loom to get fried by the engine heat.

Our 280 had a similar issue a couple of years ago. They puzzled over it for quite some time before realising both the MAF and lambda sensors were dodgy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom