Familiar E55 W211 Moved to New Home Further North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are those yours after a refurb?
Nice job if they are.

Well spotted, you get an extra like. :)

I cheated and bought new ones, got some for the rear too.

Will sell the used ones and use that to offset the cost of the new ones.

Good work, will outlast the car now ! :)

Good work, will outlast the car now ! :)

That's the plan, to do lots of little things that simply wont need done again.

Can anyone recommend front discs?

I can get OEM for £92 each but was thinking Brembo may be a better option.

That's the plan, to do lots of little things that simply wont need done again.

Can anyone recommend front discs?

I can get OEM for £92 each but was thinking Brembo may be a better option.

I wouldn't get fixated on that too much as they are only a consumable. I have Pagid off Eurocarparts on mine.

These certainly are beasts of calipers!

Anyone from experience have any pointers for cleaning & refurbing these?

I rebuilt a couple of sets. The hardest part is removing the pad guide bolts as they are usually seized. Ended up drilling them out. New seals are avialable from MB. It's doable but as with anything of that nature, requires time and patience.

I wouldn't get fixated on that too much as they are only a consumable. I have Pagid off Eurocarparts on mine.

Thanks, will probably get Brembo as these are about £140 the pair.

Ordered Brembo discs today for the front.

Removed the rear calipers too, these don't look too bad to be honest.

A0044233598_a.jpg
A0044233698_a.jpg

Gonna replace the rear discs too as i noticed that the EBC Redstuff pads don't bed in well to the discs.
From what I can see they are so hard that if the disc is used the pads then don't bed into the disc in the same way conventional ones would.

Got the rear calipers along with the fronts and the discs up for sale now.

Good Job Pat

The discs were replaced with the pads on the rears, so new discs, but the front discs are on the 2nd set of pads.

The redstuff pads are harder so they do wear the disc wuicker, but they also produce a hell of alot LESS dust than convetional pads. Something to look out for when replacing.

Good Job Pat

The discs were replaced with the pads on the rears, so new discs, but the front discs are on the 2nd set of pads.

The redstuff pads are harder so they do wear the disc wuicker, but they also produce a hell of alot LESS dust than convetional pads. Something to look out for when replacing.

Thanks, noticed that about the RedStuff pads, they seem hard as rock and not the Blackpool variety.

So what's that lovely luminous green grease that is used on the front hubs, looks like something from an alien movie? :)

So today we should have been doing some work but that didn't happen.
One of our ISO approved suppliers decided to send us a delivery note showing component X when the package contained component Y.
That put a stop to any proper manufacturing for today so bit of time to do some more on the E55.

Had a look at the front back plates and noticed usual bit of corrosion around the bolts that hold these on.
The W211's are bad for this, not sure about other ones.

So got these off for a further look but this means getting the hubs off too.
20180119_171649.jpg
20180119_171931.jpg

On closer inspection some of the holes have corroded all the way so that a standard size bolt wont hold.
20180119_171712.jpg

Can see where the back plate has rubbed off the hub a bit.
20180119_171740.jpg

And where the bolt hole has corroded away.
20180119_171757.jpg

I usually just remove these and clean them up, perhaps media blast them and repaint them.
We can't weld aluminium in house so to fix these back to as was I'd have to get guys round corner to weld them

They are fairly good value for new ones so got a couple of new ones on order from Mercedes.

Cleaned up and coated the rear back plates and these came up quite nice.

20180119_171840.jpg

Ordered new rear discs too as well as some nice new bolts for the front back plates.

Looking lovely your doing a cracking job. I was surpised how resonable the price was for the rear caliper's were.

Good idea to clean the water/dirt traps out above the front chassis rail's just below the Upper arm in the pic.

Also where the Rear of the Front subframe meets the body, Are you going to Waxoyl it bud or leave?

Looking lovely your doing a cracking job. I was surpised how resonable the price was for the rear caliper's were.

Thanks, getting there, plan is to have it ready when weather is nicer then enjoy.
I too was surprised at the cost, considered giving them an overall but at the price for new it was an easy decision.

Good idea to clean the water/dirt traps out above the front chassis rail's just below the Upper arm in the pic.

Also where the Rear of the Front subframe meets the body, Are you going to Waxoyl it bud or leave?

These the bits you mean for the traps and sub frame? They do gather lots of muck in that little ledge.
Subframe.jpg

Noticed the front sub frame has some corrosion marks along it, was going to clean/treat this then seal with our magic epoxy sealer.

Same on the rear but hadn't thought about waxoyl for it, might give that a thought.
Did you do yours in this way?

I think this is the great thing about us doing things like this and keeping a record, I'm doing things that people like yourself and other have done so the sharing of knowledge with lots of little bits of advice is invaluable.

Thats exactly the area's buddy, Yes i cleaned it all up and use Waxyol, You can get clear waxyol or black, Brutus being black thats what i went with. Clear would work well id had thought. :)

Hat of to you buddy awesome work. :)

Love your attention to detail + That is a great looking 365 Porsche Spider :cool: Yours ?

Thats exactly the area's buddy, Yes i cleaned it all up and use Waxyol, You can get clear waxyol or black, Brutus being black thats what i went with. Clear would work well id had thought. :)

Hat of to you buddy awesome work. :)

Thanks, will have a look at the Waxoyl options for it.
Once this one is back on it's feet it will be used same as you did with Brutus only on nice dry days and show days. ;)

Love your attention to detail + That is a great looking 365 Porsche Spider :cool: Yours ?

Thanks, one of my colleagues car, gets lots of attention when we take it with the little Imps on runs out.
It's great fun driving that one around the trossachs and beyond when we have some nice days.

Hit a snag, ordered new rear discs from Merc., "expected mid March".

The guys are worrier if I leave it till then it will be in more bits!

Hit a snag, ordered new rear discs from Merc., "expected mid March".

The guys are worrier if I leave it till then it will be in more bits!

Have a look at ECP? I know. But they often have very good discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at ECP? I know. But they often have very good discs.

Will do thanks, it's ECP that the Brembo fronts are coming from, ordered last week bit no sign of them and they can't confirm any tracking details or where they are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom