Familiar E55 W211 Moved to New Home Further North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now got a tracking number from ECP for the front discs that were ordered a week ago.
I asked if they were in stock, my guess is they weren't and only just arrived to them.

Now a dilemma, need to change a suspension arm and couple of brake pipes on our van.

So I may end up sticking the wheels back on the E55 and pushing this off the ramp for a couple of days.

Bit of progress today "of sorts".

E55 is off the ramp..............but with no discs, calipers or lots of others bits.

Dropped it onto its wheels to roll it out of the way to do some MOT work for our transit.
Got that done in an afternoon, welding, suspension arm, brake pipes so that's a positive.

Also got a delivery of the front discs & backing plates for the E55 so that's good.

Will get the E220 ready for MOT before getting back to the E55.

If money were no object I would want a movable scissor lift (or similar movable lift) for exactly this kind of scenario. How many times I have needed to move a car that is without wheels?

If money were no object I would want a movable scissor lift (or similar movable lift) for exactly this kind of scenario. How many times I have needed to move a car that is without wheels?

Our guys were coming up with all sorts of mad scientist ideas before we just stuck the wheels back on.

Then we were faced with another problem, to get the car into neutral when it didn't have the auto box sump, connector etc. as well as everything else on.
Again the minds went to work, "dollys", "big trolley jack on diff." etc., all sorts of ideas to roll it along a few metres.
Hang on I said, lifted the gear lever cover, pressed the button in and popped it into neutral. ;)

Transit passed with flying colours.

W211 E220 needs a little bit of attention to a rear brake pipe and I'll stick new tyres on front, plenty tread but are aged (5 years) and cracking a bit as well as a little bit of inside wear.

Then we may have to double check couple of the Imps as we have the start of the Monte Heritage run from Glasgow next week.

Your attention to detail is fantastic. Nice to see an M113K engined car being treated so well.

Your attention to detail is fantastic. Nice to see an M113K engined car being treated so well.

Thanks, can sometimes be a pain though as I've not had enough time of late to do any more on the car. ;)

Been a bit busy with work, other cars and holidays but hoping to get back onto this over the next couple of weeks before the summer has come and gone. :oops:

Who can talk to me about brake pipes?

Assuming any I replace can't be Copper as this is too soft for the W211 SBC system so is Cupro Nickel of sufficient quality?

I had all 4 Brake flexi's replaced on Brutus, and im also having MB price up the OSR steel brake pipe which had been left a little to long on the s211

I had all 4 Brake flexi's replaced on Brutus, and im also having MB price up the OSR steel brake pipe which had been left a little to long on the s211

I've got new Goodridge flexis to go on for the rebuild.

The OEM Mercedes brake pipes seem to be steel with a coating but when the coating chips off the lines then corrode.

I'm thinking Cupro Nickel is a better way to go as it wont corrode the same but just wondering if anyone has went down the line of changing all the lines.

Oh i see, We sell lots of copper tubing in to trade simple reason is it's easier to work with, the Cupro Nickel is harder to flair and shape as is steel.

Oh i see, We sell lots of copper tubing in to trade simple reason is it's easier to work with, the Cupro Nickel is harder to flair and shape as is steel.

Yes, would have to be at the very least Kupro Nickel due to potential problems with copper faling at the flares etc.

We usually do the old cars in this, just don't fancy trying anything harder than this as it would be a pain to form.

Interested if you could ask Mercedes what they would be fitting on the S211?

Went to The Open yesterday and when I got into work this morning the guys have put it back on ramp.
20180720_132903_resized_1.jpg

Think their trying to tell me to get a move on with it. :)

Will be back on with things next week now, watch this space.
Off to races today but. ;)

Started back on this today, cleaning up sump bolts and electrical cover plate, will update more when I get a bit more done.

Got the sump back on with nicely cleaned up bolts and brackets.

I must have cleaned the inside of this about a dozen times, each time deciding it was clean enough then saying I'll just do it again.

20180727_125626.jpg

Gave the heat shield for the Pilot Bush a media blast and coat of high temp silver paint after fitting a new pilot bush.

20180727_125707.jpg

Filled up with about 7L of ATF and then fired the car up and ran the engine for a while to get up to temp.

Dashboard was like a xmas tree with warnings but guess it'll do that with no brakes, SBC unit or suspension compressor. ;)

Couldn't get the box out of park as I was going to stick it into drive to get the ATF up to temp.
Hoping this is just a safety thing due to so many things throwing errors up.

Nice to hear the sound of the car again, will inspire more work for next week.

Got back vertical today after being bed bound with a bad back for a few days.
Decided to easy myself in so as not to do anymore damage to the back.

Cleaned up the airmatic pipes for the valve block and refitted the valve block.
Then went to refit the secondary air pump but broke two of the rubber double male bobbin mounts on the bracket.
These are part number A1709880011, will have to order 3 of these up to get fitted before I can refit the air pump then the airmatic compressor.

Sounds exactly the sort of thing id do lol, Good to here your up n about though bud :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom