Family bus required - GLS??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lennox

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GTD /A6 Ultra - Merc next time!!
As the title states I am considering getting a bigger family wagon. Currently have a 2012 F11 535d touring. Have considered and even ordered E-class estates in the past but now that we have kids and a close family unit of 14 we often find ourselves needing more space. Roof boxes and bike carriers aside we need a bigger bus. options:
- new XC90
- Disco 5
- Q7
- GLS 350 or 63

When we are in Florida we hire Navigators and Yukon XLs and they make life so much easier but the quality of them is questionable.

So needs are:
- 7 proper seat
- boot space when seats are up
- ISO fix on all or most seats

What's the real cost difference in running costs between a 350 and a 63?? The wife only does about 6k pa plus we may do some touring. The fuel looks about £500 pa different but servicing etc? Depreciation? Would a 2013 63 hold more value than a 2015 350?

Thoughts?? Am I better with one of the others?

I recently went through this and tried all of the ones you mention except the D5 as it wasn't out then. I narrowed it down to D4 v Q7 and went for the Disco, for the combination of more space, more character and better value. Thread.

I did love the tech in the Q7 and it has a far more car-like drive than my D4, I suspect that they'll have addressed the latter in the D5 as it appears to be far more like the rest of the LR range now, it'll be a pity if the character has gone as a result. It's also worth noting the price has taken a significant hike up, mine topped out at about £60K fully loaded and there was only one option I didn't take. The new HSE Luxury, with the 340hp engine, starts at £65K before you hit the toys list.

^ cheers SB. Sorry I'm really not a fan of the D4. My sister in law has a 2 year old fully loaded HSE and whilst the build is good it just doesn't do it for me.

I nearly bought one last time but couldn't. Biggest issue I have is that it's not particularly great for child/baby seats whilst retaining a good driving position. I know I need to try the GLS for this.

The D5 does appear to be bigger in the back so it's on the list. Just wish they did a 7 seat FFRR lwb.

I've got a V Class demo at the moment ( for 3 days) from MB.
It's a V220d Sport Bluetec long.
Certainly has 7 proper seats ( you can have 8), well appointed, quiet ,comfortable, vast interior. Switchgear is all E class ( mixture of 213 and 212).
Proper boot even with all the seats in place.
It's a very nice place to be
Downsides? It's still a bit van like although it does handle well, and I cannot seem to get the steering wheel reach and rake to suit me ( I will check another as it might me a fault only with this demo model)
It's deffo worth condsidering

The 350 is the best bet. My neighbor has one and it's lovely. The 63 should come with it's own petrol station.

^ cheers JDL if it were for me I would have a tricked out VW bus but it's for the wife and a van ain't going to do it. Needs to be a yummy mummy Chelsea tractor.

The 350 is the best bet. My neighbor has one and it's lovely. The 63 should come with it's own petrol station.

Thanks. But the 63s only £50-100 a month more in fuel and sounds [emoji1303]???

Wondered if a petrol made more sense longer term?

Q7 (as good as it is) is a reverse tardis, think more like a jacked up A6. For sheer interior size there's only the Discovery and then the GLS which is the biggest.

I'd go for the D5 but the GLS would come a close second just for the sheer hippy crushing potential.

The GLS is one of the few SUVs I like, styling wise. But an AMG Line V Class would be my choice!

[YOUTUBE HD]Sprih2fx5ns[/YOUTUBE HD]

Just tell her it has 4WD ;) :D

A van does not sit well with the Bothwell yummy mummys

Gotta be a Bentley Bentayga then :)

Had a shot of one, over priced Q7. Bloody fast but no. It was disappointing, most of the shiny stuff is cheap plastic....

104432620fbc6ab8027c2ece96290499.jpg

a076cf9fbae6f7a2f3c6fa771023994f.jpg

All for £220k!?!?! Trump makes more sense!!!

Last edited:
Thanks. But the 63s only £50-100 a month more in fuel and sounds [emoji1303]???

Wondered if a petrol made more sense longer term?
£50-£100 a month more in fuel???

Are you on drugs. Have you seen a needle move on warm up on a 63? The difference in economy between these two is massive. We have both engines in the Eclass. Trust me , I'm not joking.

£50-£100 a month more in fuel???

Are you on drugs. Have you seen a needle move on warm up on a 63? The difference in economy between these two is massive. We have both engines in the Eclass. Trust me , I'm not joking.

We fill the 535d roughly once a month.....

Used this to roughly work it out..... happy to be educated...

11aa366bba7768ae83fc027d88aa5a37.png

We fill the 535d roughly once a month.....

Used this to roughly work it out..... happy to be educated...

11aa366bba7768ae83fc027d88aa5a37.png
I'm only talking real life. Computers talk ****e.

A few months ago, we went down to Manchester. I was driving the 350 and my brother was driving the 63. We were doing the same speed on the same road with the same load in each car.
47 mpg in the 350
23 in the 63

That's on the motorway. Urban difference is even more.

Hmmmm..... what cars both GLS's??

That's a scary difference. Is it the 7 speed that's to blame??

Hmmmm..... what cars both GLS's??

That's a scary difference. Is it the 7 speed that's to blame??
No both W212 Eclass saloons.

The 5.5tt with approx 560/600 bhp is to blame

A van does not sit well with the Bothwell yummy mummys

LOL!
Well after 2 days with the V Class and its not for us. SWMBO also says its a van, and no way i could get the reach of the steering wheel right! We are now leaning towards an XC90.......

Both Mrs D and I drive ML63s for our daily cars, and whilst the GLS63 will be a touch bigger in terms of space, the fuel consumption will be about the same. I use mine for work, and Mrs D uses hers for school run, shopping, and lunching which I suspect might be similar to Mrs L.

Expect 11-14 MPG in town driving, 18-21 MPG cruising at 70 MPH on the motorway. Expect big smiles when you put your foot down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom