Fast Registration transfer if selling a car....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
I've found registration transfer irritatingly slow in the past, but maybe its better now. Or maybe I was just doing the wrong thing?

If I wanted to sell put a plate on retention, at the same time as selling the car, can this be done?

I "think" I was told before that I had to put the plate on retention FIRST, then get the new V5, and THEN do the registration transfer. (TWO separate steps). And specifically I was told that I couldn't do the sale at the same time, else the number plate would transfer to the new owner

I was going to sell my car in the Spring but something has come up which means I "might" want to sell it quickly - either as a trade in, or as a private sale.

All comments appreciated.

Mike

Take a look at the DVLA website. If everything is in order you can do it online.

It took less than 7 days *by post* when I transfered a number to my car 18 months ago.

Retention shouldn't be any worse.

Understood, Dryce, that it's 7 days to do the Retention.

My problem is that for an admin reason, I'm trying to work out if I can do the Retention at the same time as the sale. Potentially I could

a) trade my car in, and get a dealer to do it all for me, but do I trust them not to mess it up?

b) Put the plate on Retention, and then sell privately, but I am short of time to do this. (I just am )

Being a risk averse soul, I"m thinking I should just leave it and sort it all out later, but am I missing something?

I can't be the first to say "Can I retain the plate and sell the car in one move?"

If you let the car go without removing the private plate it is legally the new owners and you'd be relying on their good nature.

Separate to that, having removed the plate off my car at least twice a year for the past XYZ years, always allow and expect the maximum time for it to come back from the DVLA.

Took a plate off one of mine recently.

All done ONLINE and pretty instantly. Pay the £80 fee and the next page tells you to put the new/original registration back on the car. As mentioned above though, if you sell the car with the plate on it you'll lose it.

I took my personalised plate off the car and it's now on retention.

Did this online on Wednesday 18th January. Cost was £80.

Called up the DVLA, and they said that the original plates can go back on the car on the same day, so half an hour later the car was back on it's original plates.

Called the insurer (Aviva) to notify them of the plate change. The new Insurance documents were ready for download while I was still on the phone with Aviva. AskMID showed the old VRM as insured on same day.

Today, Saturday 21st January, the new V5C arrived in the post.

Pretty impressive I would say.

If you live in London.... you should also consider:

Call the local council parking services to notify change of registration plate for your Residents Parking Permit.

Change the registration plate for Pay-By-Phone providers: RingGo and PayByPhone.

Change the registration plate with TfL for Congestion Charge Auto Pay.

Last edited:
Dealer did it for me on the day of collection, £80 no hassles

Thanks, chaps, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Much appreciated.

I've just sold a car, took my private plate off on retention prior to sale, new V5 within 3 days. New car has private plate, can't take that off to put my ine ona and put existing on retention so I can sekk without new V5 - 3 weeks and no sign of it, called dvla and I can't put my plate on with or without V5 and they still don't have any sign of me as owner

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I took my personalised plate off the car and it's now on retention.

Did this online on Wednesday 18th January. Cost was £80.

Called up the DVLA, and they said that the original plates can go back on the car on the same day, so half an hour later the car was back on it's original plates.

Called the insurer (Aviva) to notify them of the plate change. The new Insurance documents were ready for download while I was still on the phone with Aviva. AskMID showed the old VRM as insured on same day.

Today, Saturday 21st January, the new V5C arrived in the post.

Pretty impressive I would say.

A friend has 80 MJ to move on.

I reckon it's worth maybe 2 to 3 months of the Care Home fees.
When his Dad was 'with it', I think he bought it from DVLA for £2500.
Sad stuff, is vascular dementia...

Took a plate off one of mine recently.

All done ONLINE and pretty instantly. Pay the £80 fee and the next page tells you to put the new/original registration back on the car. As mentioned above though, if you sell the car with the plate on it you'll lose it.

I've just followed this link successfully, as it seems the service isn't available on a Sunday. I'm glad I read the certificate that you need to have new plates made, as you only have three working days to do so from the date you apply. I'm away from home at the moment, and wasn't in an immediate rush to get the new plates made, which could have been awkward!:

"PLEASE KEEP THIS AUTHORISATION CERTIFICATE AS IT WILL BE NEEDED BY THE REGISTERED
NUMBER PLATE SUPPLIER WHEN YOU PURCHASE YOUR NUMBER PLATES.
Please read the notes over the page.
When you purchase number plates you will need to produce proof of your identity along with this Certificate.
This Certificate runs out 3 working days from the date stamped below (No.4). No duplicates will be issued."

Last edited:
I've just followed this link successfully, as it seems the service isn't available on a Sunday. I'm glad I read the certificate that you need to have new plates made, as you only have three working days to do so from the date you apply. I'm away from home at the moment, and wasn't in an immediate rush to get the new plates made, which could have been awkward!:

"PLEASE KEEP THIS AUTHORISATION CERTIFICATE AS IT WILL BE NEEDED BY THE REGISTERED
NUMBER PLATE SUPPLIER WHEN YOU PURCHASE YOUR NUMBER PLATES.
Please read the notes over the page.
When you purchase number plates you will need to produce proof of your identity along with this Certificate.
This Certificate runs out 3 working days from the date stamped below (No.4). No duplicates will be issued."
Yes the certificate is valid for 3 days but after the 3 days, your V5 will be with you and you can use that to get your new plates made up, all really quick now !

Did it on Sunday.

All as it said on the tin: 10 minutes online and then the certificate was in my hand.

Half an hour later, the new plates were on the car.

Did it on Sunday.

All as it said on the tin: 10 minutes online and then the certificate was in my hand.

Half an hour later, the new plates were on the car.

I kept getting a message yesterday, throughout the day, saying the service was only available between 07.00 and 19.00, but it's all good today.

I have nothing but praise for DVLA based on my dealings over the last year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom