Fatal accident on M4, 2am Saturday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not exactly sure of the detail yet but the driver fled the scene and was apprehended later allegedly. Female driver...

Leaving the guy there and fleeing the scence, just plain disgraceful. What a coward:mad:

Sorry for your loss mate.

Sorry to hear that Spike, condolences to you and his family.

Terrible that the driver should have fled the scene.

Condolances to all concerned - it's always sad to hear of the death of another, and more so when it is an unnecessary death.

For those who cause death by drunk or dangerous driving , perhaps a more draconian punishment such as chopping off their right (accelerator) foot would be fitting , as well as less costly to the taxpayer than a jail sentence....

They would then qualify for substantial disability benefits....:mad:

My condolences, a friend of mine heads up Wiltshire Traffic and will probably be dealing with that.

I'd be very interested to hear his thoughts on this case as it has all his biking mates very confused as to what actually happened.

Although the rider was only riding a small bike on this occasion, he was an experienced rider who'd travelled the world on two wheels without incident.

...The sooner they reduce the drink drive limit the better. Let's face it-Is there a NEED to have a drink before driving? NO! That said, it still won't stop the idiots!.

Exactly - it won't stop the idiots. The trouble is not the drink-drive limit but that people exceed it - and often by a frightening amount. You never read about somebody who killed an innocent person whilst drink driving when they were just over the limit - it is mostly when they are two or three (or more) times over the limit.

To my mind the limit is reasonable - you can have a single drink and that's it. If you lower the limit from where it is now you run the risk of removing its "demonising" effect. We all know that we can drive on a half pint or a pint - but any more than that is unsafe. If you lower it so that even a half pint takes you over the limit you run the risk that people will look upon the law as too draconian and ignore it and no longer be scrorned for breaking it. In other words, if you meet somebody who has been banned then, as the law stands today, you know ou are talking to somebody who drove when they were drunk and is an idiot. If you met someone who was banned for having half a pint then there is a tempation to think "that's bad luck as you could still drive competently on half a pint".

Dear Sp!ke
Very sorry to hear this.
I've only seen the results of an RTA once in Russia.
An old lada had tried to overtake on a single carriageway road and smacked right into a lorry coming the otherway. An absolutely horrendous sight.
I have often wondered why people are only permanently barred if they become medically unfit due to age / illness. It seems that people who obviously drive well over the limit should also be permanently banned.
Les

Exactly - it won't stop the idiots. The trouble is not the drink-drive limit but that people exceed it - and often by a frightening amount. You never read about somebody who killed an innocent person whilst drink driving when they were just over the limit - it is mostly when they are two or three (or more) times over the limit.

To my mind the limit is reasonable - you can have a single drink and that's it. If you lower the limit from where it is now you run the risk of removing its "demonising" effect. We all know that we can drive on a half pint or a pint - but any more than that is unsafe. If you lower it so that even a half pint takes you over the limit you run the risk that people will look upon the law as too draconian and ignore it and no longer be scrorned for breaking it. In other words, if you meet somebody who has been banned then, as the law stands today, you know ou are talking to somebody who drove when they were drunk and is an idiot. If you met someone who was banned for having half a pint then there is a tempation to think "that's bad luck as you could still drive competently on half a pint".

What you say does not sound unreasonable , but I'm sure there will be cases of people 'just over the limit' who have been impaired 'just enough' to have had a catastrophic crash with terrible consequences - even people in such instances who were , perhaps , 'just under' the limit .

My feeling is that stiffer sentencing rather than lower limits is the answer , nonetheless .

I'd be very interested to hear his thoughts on this case as it has all his biking mates very confused as to what actually happened.

Although the rider was only riding a small bike on this occasion, he was an experienced rider who'd travelled the world on two wheels without incident.

I'll ask but I doubt he'll say much until the matter has been before the court. If I glean anything i'll PM you.

Paul

Sorry to hear this Spike - makes one realise how fragile and short life is..

Spike Sorry to read your sad news
The local paper (Southern Daily Echo) had a large write up regarding the accident they said how well respected and liked He was.
Such a shame

Sorry to hear this. As a biker myself I know how dangerous it can be out there - so many SMIDSYs!
Friggin Bitch - hope she rots.

S

being a female, i doubt she will get even a tenth of the sentance she deserves...

Spike, I do not know you personally, but I am so sorry to hear this.

Be strong, bud.

:(

Likewise, very sorry to hear your news. Biker myself, about to become an ex-biker. Roads are just too dangerous now, 3 fatalities up here in the last month. My Wife and kids are more important than riding my bike so with sadness I'll be selling up before I end up a statistic.

Rest in peace this young chap, didn't even get a fair go at life. :(

Tragic waste of a life. Condolences to all who knew the rider.

Ade

sorry to hear this. Hope you friends family get through this, and you and your family too.

local media here report he was driving a 125cc, I thought they were banned on motorways or are they talking out of their hat or do certain 125cc bikes qualify?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom