Faulty Sunroof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harv1963

Car
1992 W126 500 SEL
W126 500SEL J REG

being a lovely spring day, tilted my electronic sunroof. Went to close it later and although I can hear the motor, the sunroof won't move.

It was working perfectly prior to this but now it is stuck tilted open. Any advice will be greatly welcomed.

Just downloaded a couple of videos from mercedessource.com. Big job to fix but on my way to sorting it.

will it not close by using the spanner as a handle in the boot ?

OR

is that just for the slide function ? and not the tilt also ?

Good luck with the repair, that seems to be a nice looking car you've got there with the clear indicators blending in nicely with the colour of the car.
That mercedessource.com bloke is a huge w126 fan and I'm sure he knows a thing or two.

Yeah that's a good site.

It's it just your cable gone? Hopefully not the angle bracket things, that's a bit more complicated and possibly easier to just swap the whole cartridge.

Cable is easy though.

Thank you everyone. The roof was completely dead apart from a buzzing relay. I have fixed it by following the on demand videos at Mercedessource.com. what a great help.

I stripped the mechanism, lubricated everything including the cable, slides and gearing and put it all back together. Think the issue was a faulty relay but I went over the circuit board with a soldering iron and so far so good. (fingers crossed!!)

Now to fix the broken electric rear blind!!

Bet the rear blind will be the nylon rope, cheap from MB but the parcel shelf has to come out to get out any broken bits left in there.
Yes, Shelf out, motor out, 2 inches broken off nylon rope, new one ordered £16.00 from Mercedes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom