Faulty warning lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hpoolsteve

Car
S320 W220
Hello all,

Im new to owning the car. (S320 Petrol W220 1999) Only picked it up last week. My left low beam does not work. I have replaced the bulb but still not working.

My number plate bulbs shows a warning now and again. I have seen them working.

I have read lots about this but still am unsure on where to start. People refer to the SAM unit. How do i check if this is working or not?

I have checked for stored codes but all clear. Not on a stars machine.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Steve

Welcome!

You cannot check the SAM unit yourself, you need to go to an MB dealer or, ideally, find an MB independant near to you that has the Star diagnostic machine. Where are you based?

Star is able to run a full test on all electrical components and it is cheaper to get this done rather than spending time and money changing parts etc. SAM units also have to be coded to the car by Star if you do need to replace one or more. Unfortunately they are circa £300 or more.

Hopefully you will not have too many problems as although your vehicle is getting on a little some of the parts prices are still consistant with a £50-60,000 car.

Good luck.

David

First step would be to check fuses for the headlight problem.

Remove the number plate light bulbs and check their condition, a bulb which is about to fail (blacked or loose glass in the base) or even loose or dirty bulb holder contacts can cause the warning light.

First step would be to check fuses for the headlight problem.

Remove the number plate light bulbs and check their condition, a bulb which is about to fail (blacked or loose glass in the base) or even loose or dirty bulb holder contacts can cause the warning light.

Not sure the headlights have fuses, my C class does not, headlamp power supply is controlled by the front SAM, I would imagine the Sclass is the same?

Not sure the headlights have fuses, my C class does not, headlamp power supply is controlled by the front SAM, I would imagine the Sclass is the same?

Thanks for the input guys,

Everything i have read suggests that the headlamps are controlled by the SAM.

I am based in Hartlepool in the North East.

Now the task of finding someone with STARS machine, without taking direct to the main dealer.

I'm not sure either DSM. The fuse chart for my C Class (W203) shows fuses 62 & 63 being for Dipped Beam and main beam being electronic (SAM) :confused:

I'm not sure either DSM. The fuse chart for my C Class (W203) shows fuses 62 & 63 being for Dipped Beam and main beam being electronic (SAM) :confused:

That is interestiing! I could not find any fuses marked for any headlights on mine but i did find a poor connection tin the wiring from the SAM when I had a similar problem. Electrical issues can be very hard to work out, especially when you have a lot of electronics controlling things:eek:

Got a sneaky feeling im going to have some serious fun and games with this problem...:crazy:

Got a sneaky feeling im going to have some serious fun and games with this problem...:crazy:

It willl probably mpprove the performance as your wallet gets lighter:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom