Feels like I'm home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JTK909

Car
E220 CDI SE 2014
Hi everyone,
Having had various Mercedes C and E class cars for years I had a five year dalliance with another make of car. That was good and latterly turned bad so last week I have returned to what I know and love and got a used 63 reg E220 CDI, W212 facelift I believe it's also know as. I must say I am very impressed and pleased with it so far, even better than I remember from my Mercs from years ago.

There are one or two new things I am having to get used to, e.g. the cruise control stalk now being below the indicator/wiper stalk and the auto shift now being a stalk instead of the lever in the centre console.

Another thing I'd appreciate if someone could confirm is regarding the steering lock, or lack thereof. On my other Mercs when I put the key in the lock I could hear the steering lock mechanism disengaging and engaging when the key is removed. Now with this car there is no sound at all when the key is inserted or removed. Is this correct and how it is supposed to be now? Otherwise the key works perfectly, turns, switches everything on and starts the car.

Thanks for any info!

Hello and welcome to you. Not sure about the key, perhaps you could remove the key and check the steering?.

It's a good point, I cannot recall the last time that I had to wriggle the steering wheel while unlocking with the key.

I wonder how that works with keyless go?

Hello and welcome to you. Not sure about the key, perhaps you could remove the key and check the steering?.

Thanks for the welcome :)

With the key removed and the steering wheel moved from side to side there is nothing, so doesn't seem to be a lock.

Thanks for the welcome :)

With the key removed and the steering wheel moved from side to side there is nothing, so doesn't seem to be a lock.

I'm sure the steering lock is electronic. If it still uses the same principle a steering lock was basically a bolt that went into a slot on the steering column, so the steering wheel will turn until the two line up.
That how they used to work, I'm not sure if that's still the case someone on here might know different.

The steering lock is electronic. Putting the key into the ignition should unlock the steering. With the key out of the ignition, the steering should be locked and have minimal movement. WRT keyless go, on my C43, the steering doesn't move until I've pressed the ignition button. @JTK909, I'd get the dealer to fix your steering.

The steering lock is electronic. Putting the key into the ignition should unlock the steering. With the key out of the ignition, the steering should be locked and have minimal movement. WRT keyless go, on my C43, the steering doesn't move until I've pressed the ignition button. @JTK909, I'd get the dealer to fix your steering.

OK thanks for that, I'll get them to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom